S&D in a very small space - Timsbury Bottom...

Gilbert

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Chris, just a thought about operation. I think that you normally operate from the front. This is fine at home but what happens if you exhibit? I assume that you would be sitting at one end and can deal with that fiddle yard. Do you have some sort of glamorous assistant that you can employ at the other fiddle yard?

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, DavidLong said:

Chris, just a thought about operation. I think that you normally operate from the front. This is fine at home but what happens if you exhibit? I assume that you would be sitting at one end and can deal with that fiddle yard. Do you have some sort of glamorous assistant that you can employ at the other fiddle yard?

David

I normally do sit at one end and am happy to interact with the public when "fiddling". The double end is definitely an experiment and I hope the plan will be "exhibition friendly". I do tend to have help at shows but I suspect the pace of operation will be such that a short few steps to the right hand FY will be manageable when solo. I will include an NCE panel at the right so I can base myself there for short periods as well.

Chris

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

You could always plonk Eric there on a stool....

Funny you should say that.....he's a former tank driver and can fit into to very small spaces.....

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, MrWolf said:

Brave man. Despite all the jokes we made, I never wanted to be inside a prime target like that with little chance of getting out when hit. Respect due.

Off Topic but I agree completely....if you ever get to Bovington have a look at the cross section - I think its a Centurion...

52129672596_21f9062d8f_z.jpg

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 6

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

After a bit of fettling on layouts due out early next year I decided that a bit of development work on Timsbury Bottom would be a nice change....today I got the scenic board on to the table in our (relatively) warm dining room. Track took some cleaning after a period of storage in my shed but I then decided to get the bridges sorted and try a signal...more scenery work to follow - hopefully...

Everything is just plonked in place until I've got as much finished as I can before the final "fix"...static grass and trees may be next....although I fancy a distant signal on the mainline near the bridge in the second photo...it would help disguise the magnet at least...

52559231831_c8baf5990e_z.jpg

52559232326_cd6e713595_z.jpg

• Like 14

• 4 weeks later...

Very nice work and very much in my favourite back-of-beyond style. I really like the modified and extended bridge, not something that you often see modelled outside of townscapes with endless retaining walls, yet modified bridges, or bridges built with great ambitions that came to little are very common in semi rural areas.

AND - no bus! 

A BMC J4 postie van is a forgotten sight and most agreeable, even though (or maybe even because) they are hideous things to drive.

Keep up the good work!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Very nice work and very much in my favourite back-of-beyond style. I really like the modified and extended bridge, not something that you often see modelled outside of townscapes with endless retaining walls, yet modified bridges, or bridges built with great ambitions that came to little are very common in semi rural areas.

AND - no bus! 

A BMC J4 postie van is a forgotten sight and most agreeable, even though (or maybe even because) they are hideous things to drive.

Keep up the good work!

Cheers - the front siding in going to be gated (hence the fence) and will represent a siding to an industry defined by whatever wagons are used. A dairy or coal mine are on the list....

I do have buses.....

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 4

That private siding was often enough justification for a real railway to exist, if I could have hidden the exit within the topography, it was tempting to have something similar to the Kerry Branch, as it is I just bring wagons of timber and stone in from offstage, but for strictly local traffic there's always a few tree trunks laid in the yard and all those darned Clun Forest sheep...

I have two buses, but no road overbridges, saves temptation and risking random air attacks...

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

No further progress to report but I may take TB to my week at Missenden in the summer with a view to "getting stuff done".

Trees, ground cover, details, figures, semaphore and ground signals are on the agenda along with the difficulty of possibly retro fitting some point rodding. I'm also tempted by the new Peco Titfield station kit but it may be too late to change things now...

Chris H

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

I'm also tempted by the new Peco Titfield station kit but it may be too late to change things now...

Chris H

It does look good, but maybe a little large for TB?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

One of the proposals for a railway in this area would have meant the line would have gone through Timsbury Bottom, then after Priston, followed Newton Brook and joined the GWR mainline at Newton Meadows, with an idea of also joining the Midland Bristol-Bath line. All can be found in The Camerton Branch book. At Priston there is a mill. Now a wedding venue, it was a working mill until about 20 years ago. Maybe the industry for the siding?

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 31/05/2023 at 09:05, Gilbert said:

No further progress to report but I may take TB to my week at Missenden in the summer with a view to "getting stuff done".

Trees, ground cover, details, figures, semaphore and ground signals are on the agenda along with the difficulty of possibly retro fitting some point rodding. I'm also tempted by the new Peco Titfield station kit but it may be too late to change things now...

Chris H

I have returned from Missenden with some more progress.....there are pics of TB plus the work of others - including the continuing restoration of Iain Rice's Butley Mills by Andy Vincent - in this album...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/103471893@N02/albums/72177720310163652/with/53093539003/

Chris Hopper

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1