The Siphon G, by Accurascale - From Milk To Mail!

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, rovex said:

Mine arrived this afternoon, can't fault the speed of delivery, once they are posted.

Agree, ordered the BR Blue Newspaper version late Sunday night, arrived just after lunchtime Tuesday! Great service.

Not had notification yet of dispatch of pre-order (the enparts exclusive) which was ordered when it was released.

not a criticism btw, I appreciate its probably not been unpacked yet or is awaiting processing by the dispatch team.

10 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Phil

Would it be possible to 'brace' the lamp iron with something like superglue? (Although I don't know if superglue would be suitable for the rubber!).

Brian

My thoughts: would it be possible to make up a thin brass faceplate for the gangway, with the lamp iron. Possibly a PVA type glue might be the best to adhere to both brass and rubber.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, SRman said:

My thoughts: would it be possible to make up a thin brass faceplate for the gangway, with the lamp iron. Possibly a PVA type glue might be the best to adhere to both brass and rubber.

You mean like what MJT/Dart Castings can provide?

It comes with the bellows as well, similar to the old Modellers Mecca parts but better.

Looking at photos you will need the bellows any way.

Bernard

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 22/05/2023 at 16:52, gwrrob said:

I've fitted Hunt Ultra Close types to mine and modified one of the pair between vehicles to give me this. Shewn on a medium radius point and the fitting of the sprung buffers really come into their own here.

DSCN8966.JPG.8e38c04c99efb6acbe74494cd20ad4db.JPG

DSCN8967.JPG.ba2eea12fd6438058d25bc2e8f87b6df.JPG

Are those bogies in for a shout of the Best RTR Bogies Ever award?

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 57xx said:

Are those bogies in for a shout of the Best RTR Bogies Ever award?

Surely the essence of a bogey is that it’s not ready to run.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 7

21 hours ago, Islesy said:

as (originally) they ran behind the tender and ahead of the coaches on expresses, it can be immaterial.

Just to be awkward, if running as first vehicle, it should have an end board to stop it flooding during water pick up.

Mike Wiltshire

SiphonEnd.jpg.c7d52c2f5f47c29485756c69fd5e1dd3.jpg

• Like 12
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

12 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

Just to be awkward, if running as first vehicle, it should have an end board to stop it flooding during water pick up.

Soggy newspapers.  Ugh!

Or did their use on newspaper traffic only start after the end of steam?

I suppose the end board should be removable - another thing one might do magnetically like the recent use of strong magnets for couplings?

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Coach bogie said:

Mike Wiltshire

That is a wonderful photograph, did you take it yourself or do you know where it originated please?

Simon

29 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Soggy newspapers.  Ugh!

Or did their use on newspaper traffic only start after the end of steam?

Even if it did, steam era could be worse, very very very skimmed milk!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Mike Wiltshire

Loving the dangly bits.😉

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Mike Wiltshire

I hadn't noticed the "do not drop" lettering on the top before 

Had my dispatch note this afternoon so fingers crossed it will arrive before lunch tomorrow so I can get it painted!

• Like 1

Mine have just appeared, absolutely lovely looking models and I can't wait to get them Weathered!

Has anyone worked out how to fit the detailed pipes in the accessory bag? I was looking for holes in the buffer beam but can't see any...

• Like 2

My two arrived around an hour ago. Even more impressive in the flesh. Well packed and no loose bits in the box. Although for the sake of completeness one footboard was hanging out at a slight angle. It appeared only one end was glued in place but nothing a tiny dab of glue won’t fix. Please don’t see that as a gripe on my part, given the level of separate and fine moulded detail it most certainly isn’t. Almost a shame to weather them, however the airbrush beckons.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Coach bogie said:

Mike Wiltshire

However a feature of some of some Gangway Shields was that the centre part was not particularly solid and was actually fairly stout cloth on one version.

The main idea of Gangway Shields was to minimise the amount of dirt and dust that could get into the interior of the gangways although solid timber ones had the advantage that they usually managed to repel lumps of coal coming off the back of tenders.

A Gangway Shield was required to fitted to the outer end gangways at both ends of a train - not just the front end.  The requirement to use Gangway Shields on BR Mk1 (and later) stock ceased in mid 1971 but they were still required on older stock after that date

• Informative/Useful 10

• RMweb Gold
On 23/05/2023 at 14:35, Islesy said:

That was always going to the pay-off for having a flexible connection unfortunately, so yes, the lamp bracket is purely aesthetic. Then again, as (originally) they ran behind the tender and ahead of the coaches on expresses, it can be immaterial.

In an ideal world, the gangway connection would have had an etched end panel, with the lamp bracket being part of that assembly, but costs and ease of assembly had to be considered unfortunately.

Hornby just did a plastic part for their Collett corridor stock which simply clips into the connector.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Only the bogies? 😉

Give how many people have waxed lyrical about the model as a whole, I didn't feel the need to add to that, I just felt like pointing out a specific part of it which stood out as excellently executed to me. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, 57xx said:

Hornby just did a plastic part for their Collett corridor stock which simply clips into the connector.

Yes and I’ve just tried one. The moulding doesn’t have a locking handle though as available on the MJT etch.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1