GWR 'Loriot Y'

rapidoandy

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

I suspect the 'Great care in shunting' probably had something to do with the ease with which they could be derailed

But why were these wagons particularly prone to derailment, Mike?  They were pretty solidly built, basically two girders with a floor and buffer beams between them, and a low centre of gravity when they were unloaded, not the most obvious candidates. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

But why were these wagons particularly prone to derailment, Mike?  They were pretty solidly built, basically two girders with a floor and buffer beams between them, and a low centre of gravity when they were unloaded, not the most obvious candidates. 

Being long(ish) and thin, might they have been prone to flexing / 'jumping' if involved in a sudden stop - if, say,  rough shunted into a stationary wagon.

I can imagine a 'whip' action in such circumstances.

CJI.

• Like 3

On 21/07/2023 at 15:54, cctransuk said:

Being long(ish) and thin, might they have been prone to flexing / 'jumping' if involved in a sudden stop - if, say,  rough shunted into a stationary wagon.

Exactly.  I have the Cambrian 18 Ton Sleeper Wagon kit and have had to put 60g of lead in it to keep it on the rails!  If it is put at the front of the train the pull of the locomotive and the weight of the train behind allied to the long rigid wheel base tends to derail it.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hello folks,

I picked up one of these Loriots a little while ago and was fascinated by the Traxcavators as a possible load, so thought I'd share what I've done with mine:

Trax7.jpg.bf5c73a5df38b21f5db82ae0d4e57a4a.jpg

Trax6.jpg.846301bde80729d9c20e35d245bbfe62.jpg

This is a Woodland Scenics white metal Traxcavator kit, which is a bit rubbish but the only one that seems to be available. I've never built a white metal kit before so I'm quite pleased with the way it's come out but it was chore to make the parts fit together properly. I've modified it slightly with wire operating levers to replace the clunky ones that came with the kit, plus some wire loops for use in chaining it down.

The wagon has had a large tool box added to one end (plasticard) and timber baulks made to stop the Trax from moving  backwards. The chains are a combination of etched brass hooks and sterling silver chains blackened with Liver of Sulphur. Very fiddly.

The whole lot has been weathered, which again is something that's new to me and slightly nerve-wracking on a brand new wagon! This was inspired by a series of pictures of similar on Paul Barletts site, such as this, despite being the wrong model of Traxcavator and the wrong wagon 🤪

DB998001_ZXP__4m_-(ZF-9492-88119-1-001).jpg.139cc69f658fbb4fe8febacf7f1df0f4.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

I forgot to mention that the only other thing that I did to the wagon was to change the wheels. I noticed that it was binding slightly on curves (approx. 3ft radius). I checked the B2B, which was fine, so I then swapped the wheels for some Bachmann equivalents and the problem was solved. The Rapido wheels have been re-purposed on a shorter wheel base wagon.

• Like 2

On 27/12/2023 at 06:07, Harlequin said:

My Loriot has a slightly different load:

image.png.137a6db4102036721911cd9d7a11e5f2.png

It's just right for carrying this neat little 4K camera that I got for Christmas.

With a DJ/Hattons 48xx/58xx too boot, I got myself a 58xx with Shirtbutton when they first came out and it's a beautiful little machine. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 26/12/2023 at 17:09, BluenGreyAnorak said:

Hello folks,

I picked up one of these Loriots a little while ago and was fascinated by the Traxcavators as a possible load, so thought I'd share what I've done with mine:

Trax7.jpg.bf5c73a5df38b21f5db82ae0d4e57a4a.jpg

Trax6.jpg.846301bde80729d9c20e35d245bbfe62.jpg

This is a Woodland Scenics white metal Traxcavator kit, which is a bit rubbish but the only one that seems to be available. I've never built a white metal kit before so I'm quite pleased with the way it's come out but it was chore to make the parts fit together properly. I've modified it slightly with wire operating levers to replace the clunky ones that came with the kit, plus some wire loops for use in chaining it down.

The wagon has had a large tool box added to one end (plasticard) and timber baulks made to stop the Trax from moving  backwards. The chains are a combination of etched brass hooks and sterling silver chains blackened with Liver of Sulphur. Very fiddly.

The whole lot has been weathered, which again is something that's new to me and slightly nerve-wracking on a brand new wagon! This was inspired by a series of pictures of similar on Paul Barletts site, such as this, despite being the wrong model of Traxcavator and the wrong wagon 🤪

DB998001_ZXP__4m_-(ZF-9492-88119-1-001).jpg.139cc69f658fbb4fe8febacf7f1df0f4.jpg

Very nice weathering and bulldozer Darren. I have been struggling to find a OO scale bulldozer with a cab like the one on the Paul Bartlett photograph. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, 37501 said:

Very nice weathering and bulldozer Darren. I have been struggling to find a OO scale bulldozer with a cab like the one on the Paul Bartlett photograph. 

Thanks 🙂 The machine in the photo is a Traxcavator rather than a bulldozer, but a later model than the one from Woodland Scenics. I toyed with the idea of adding a cab to it but I'd had enough of the damn thing by then and decided against it. It would be doable with a bit more perseverance, though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 19/07/2023 at 20:04, Dominion said:

I changed my approach and prefer this solution.

The L-shaped white "bracket" takes the place of the original Rapido NEM socket. (made from short lengths of 6.2 x 2 mm and 1.6 x 3.5 mm Evergreen strip bonded together)

The bracket is sandwiched in place by the end molding and the original Rapido screw, like the original was.

In the replacement bracket I tapped a small hole for a number 80 screw as they happen to be available here in Canada and as I have a tap for that size. 

Then a 3/8th long screw holds the kadee in a regular kadee draft box.

The coupling is a 141, (long under-set).

screw.

Tom

IMG_4231.jpg

IMG_4232.jpg

Just received mine (also in Canada) just this past week, and came here for this same reason.  @Dominion You wouldn't happen to have the measurements for this small bracket by chance?  The air was rather... blue... when I realized there was no Kadee compatible option.  I'm guessing the mount is a little low to use the center shank.. #146 I believe?

@rapidoandy, perhaps including such an adapter in future UK models might be an option, where the "normal" NEM couplers won't fit?

Edited by br-nse-fan
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The thickness and width of the 2 bits of evergreen strip I used are in the original post. The length of each was just a little less than the width or the Rapido recess. The holes were located based on the boss position rather than a specific measurement.

Was there a different specific measurement you were looking for ? 

I can’t remember if a 146 would work, my hunch is not otherwise I would probably have used it in preference to a 141, but that is only from memory. 

Edited by Dominion
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, br-nse-fan said:

@rapidoandy, perhaps including such an adapter in future UK models might be an option, where the "normal" NEM couplers won't fit?

Or maybe even just make Kadee compatible couplers under the Rapido branding that can fit straight on. Could be a nice little accessory pack to sell separately.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 21/07/2023 at 15:48, The Johnster said:

The significant observation is 'low centre of gravity': and that's relative to almost all vehicles other than lowmacs that it might come into contact with. In the event of a rough shunt it would be likely to lift an adjacent wagon. 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 months later...

Hi, have you considered doing another batch of GWR Y flats? Also how about a model of DW41990 in pre tops condition so it would be suitable for 50’s and 60’s layouts. Thanks Fred

• Rapido staff
57 minutes ago, Fredo said:

Hi, have you considered doing another batch of GWR Y flats? Also how about a model of DW41990 in pre tops condition so it would be suitable for 50’s and 60’s layouts. Thanks Fred

Hiya, the Loriot Y probably won't be re-run for a good while (if ever) - the duplication of the model means they aren't rare in shops and with only 2 prototypes there isn't much uncovered ground to justify it (coupled with not many photos of them between GW and TOPS era. I have not yet seen a photo of DW41990 in anything other than TOPS ZXP/ZXO, or GW livery.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
On 12/06/2024 at 09:18, RapidoCorbs said:

Hiya, the Loriot Y probably won't be re-run for a good while (if ever) - the duplication of the model means they aren't rare in shops and with only 2 prototypes there isn't much uncovered ground to justify it (coupled with not many photos of them between GW and TOPS era. I have not yet seen a photo of DW41990 in anything other than TOPS ZXP/ZXO, or GW livery.

well that bit of inf has spurred me on...! DW41990 duly ordered :-)

cheers,

Keith