Absolute Blocks at a Pre-Group Terminus

• RMweb Gold
On 16/12/2021 at 13:23, Nick C said:

Wouldn't the signal marked '99' be slotted by this box as well, as an outer home? Otherwise you wouldn't be able to accept a train without having the route already set through to the platform, potentially locking up the entire throat as soon as the incoming train enters the previous section.

Maybe, maybe not.  It all depends on the distances involved and the intensity of the service plus the distance between the two signals because it would only work if that distance is greater than 440 yards and then of course you also have a block section about 6 inches long which can also potentially create another problem because of teh short section.    It would be just as likely just as likely for there to be  a Modified Clearing Point at the terminus as anything else.

On 16/12/2021 at 12:02, Lacathedrale said:

@Stationmaster I particularly wanted to permit shunting on the down main, so I should revert 98 to an Advanced Starter on lever 10? I want to ensure that V is under control of the next box, and W is under the control of this box.

I can't see why you want W, in particular, that way round as it is the electrical section the terminus box is going to make the most use of for shunting - so it needs to control.  It should split with Y at signal 10.  How you work the section linking for trains running through is a different matter and ideally the best answer I think is always for a location to drive a train which is running towards it thus Y would link back right through to a station platform from which a train is starting out as the various signals are cleared.  So for example  with points 11 and 14 reversed and signal 6 lowered electrical Section W would link back through all the sections in between to power section and. a movement towards Signal 10 at danger would be controlled electrically through section W.  When Signal 10 is cleared sectio Y would power section W and all the other section it would already be feeding.  (In other words you would have Linked Section Control, to re-use the old term for such an arrangement.)

• Like 1