Revolution Trains Clayton Class 18 battery hybrid loco

newbryford

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Sweetling Park said:

It is interesting to read that the loco can be controlled remotely by radio.  Please forgive me if I'm asking the obvious, but would I be correct in thinking that each light colour will indicate something in particular, e.g. radio mode on, connected to radio, connection lost etc.?

Yes, not sure exactly what the sequence is but yes one denotes it’s active, another direction and I think the white flashes to say it’s moving, bit like ditch lights on US locos. 
I’m sure someone will have direct experience of the UK setup. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi All. When Ben gets the chance (he’s currently unpacking the van with Simon after this weekend’s DEMU showcase), I’m sure he’ll be happy to explain what the lights are for and how the shunter operates. 

Cheers Mike B

• Thanks 3

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Yes, not sure exactly what the sequence is but yes one denotes it’s active, another direction and I think the white flashes to say it’s moving, bit like ditch lights on US locos. 
I’m sure someone will have direct experience of the UK setup. 

Thank you for this.  It is much apprecated.

28 minutes ago, Revolution Mike B said:

Hi All. When Ben gets the chance (he’s currently unpacking the van with Simon after this weekend’s DEMU showcase), I’m sure he’ll be happy to explain what the lights are for and how the shunter operates. 

Cheers Mike B

That would be great, thank you.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

@Revolution Ben and @Revolution Mike lent one of the 18s for a photo shoot on Deadmans Lane today and we couldn't resist giving it a spin. It's an incredibly smooth runner and they've made a sale to my mate for one of his layout projects!

Pic by @Jack374

FB_IMG_1718577777273.jpg.df313bd0f65f0070d2fad990a82eed1f.jpg

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

16 hours ago, Sweetling Park said:

It is interesting to read that the loco can be controlled remotely by radio.  Please forgive me if I'm asking the obvious, but would I be correct in thinking that each light colour will indicate something in particular, e.g. radio mode on, connected to radio, connection lost etc.?

You need to come to scunthorpe for a railtour around the steelworks and see all of our remote control locos (when they come out of hiding ) 

As said the lights indicate the status of the remote. Some flash. Ours are a steady light 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Folks

Ben is still rather busy today packing orders with Simon, but he has sent me the following info.

The Tata lights are as follows:

Radio Control Established (Illumination colour: Blue)

Power up (Illumination colour: Green)

Moving away (Illumination colour: Amber)

Moving towards (Illumination colour: White)

Brakes on (Illumination colour: Red)

For the Sellafield locos:

Red when brakes are on

flashing Orange when moving

For the Beacon locos, the lights are programmable for any of the above settings and more depending on the site-specific requirements.

Hope that helps satisfy everyone's curiosity?

Obviously, the lights on the model are only painted to represent them as even our fantastic factory doesn't have the ability to make something this small operational! Maybe in ten years time though........

Cheers

Mike B 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Revolution Mike B said:

Hi Folks

Ben is still rather busy today packing orders with Simon, but he has sent me the following info.

The Tata lights are as follows:

Radio Control Established (Illumination colour: Blue)

Power up (Illumination colour: Green)

Moving away (Illumination colour: Amber)

Moving towards (Illumination colour: White)

Brakes on (Illumination colour: Red)

For the Sellafield locos:

Red when brakes are on

flashing Orange when moving

For the Beacon locos, the lights are programmable for any of the above settings and more depending on the site-specific requirements.

Hope that helps satisfy everyone's curiosity?

Obviously, the lights on the model are only painted to represent them as even our fantastic factory doesn't have the ability to make something this small operational! Maybe in ten years time though........

Cheers

Mike B 

Thank you very much @Revolution Mike B!  That is most helpful and I really appreciate you and @Revolution Ben taking the time to answer my question/curiosity.  😄

It did occur to me that the colours may have meant the direction the loco was travelling, power up and braking in addition to the radio connection.  The above explanation has confirmed it, so thank for you that.

The production samples look lovely, by the way.  I look forward to receiving my Beacon loco in due course.

Edited by Sweetling Park
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Hi Team,

I've got a CBD-80 lettered for Sellafield on order, but I'm thinking of ordering another one depending on the delivery.  Do you have that magical piece of string and have a ETA for delivery?

Thanks

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Simon Bendall said:

More Class 18s have been deployed this week to GBRf-managed Network Rail yards, 18012 has arrived at Whitemoor and 18015 should have reached Eastleigh today.

wonder if bescot will get one, I hope so

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

We have been invited to film these and other upcoming deployments and with stakeholder permission will be sharing video of the CBD locos in action in a variety of locations in due course.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Saw my first examples earlier this week, 18014 & 18015 in Eastleigh East Yard.

They are certainly very different to what we have been used to, and look much smaller than I was expecting. 

Roy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Saw my first examples earlier this week, 18014 & 18015 in Eastleigh East Yard.

They are certainly very different to what we have been used to, and look much smaller than I was expecting. 

Roy

My father e-mailed me... yesterday?... regarding the Class 18s at Eastleigh. Wouldn't be surprised if he plans a trip up there soon to see if they're operating yet.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nova Scotian said:

My father e-mailed me... yesterday?... regarding the Class 18s at Eastleigh. Wouldn't be surprised if he plans a trip up there soon to see if they're operating yet.

They were stabled in the exactly the same places Tuesday evening and Thursday evening. Whether that means they have been working or not I don’t know. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Presumably stabling them requires positioning adjacent to the charging infrastructure - so at least their position when not in active use should be predictable.

One (18014) was in the middle of the yard, so definitely not charging. The other may have been. 

Roy

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Roy Langridge said:

One (18014) was in the middle of the yard, so definitely not charging. The other may have been. 

Roy

Of course I'm also assume they are "plug in hybrid" as well (It's probably in this thread somewhere).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

Of course I'm also assume they are "plug in hybrid" as well (It's probably in this thread somewhere).

They can charge from an on-board generator, shore-supply and regen braking. 

Roy

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1