DCC Sound v Non Sound

54 minutes ago, Sir TophamHatt said:

Or those that want better looking locos?

IF I was ever interested in a Class 47 or 37, I wouldn't even consider the previous versions from Hornby and just get the latest ones.

I suppose that depends on one's budget.

• Agree 2

On 19/04/2024 at 13:15, Michael Hodgson said:

I suppose that depends on one's budget.

Indeed.
Although this is an expensive hobby these days for the standards people probably want.
I just don't think I would waste £80 on some tooling that is ~30 years old but save and buy a better one.

• 2 months later...

I tried DCC sound with the HM7000 decoders and then with a Zimo chip from YouChoos and it was initially impressive and fun but quickly became an annoying novelty. I’ve gone back to DC now with my shelf layout but for the bigger layout I’m planning I’ll go for plain DCC. I’ll only get sound if the price makes more sense but likely wont use it.

As to people saying that no sound is less realistic than unrealistic sound - it’s not like models are completely silent on DCC/DC. There’s still some motor/mechanism noise as well as the noises of the track, point work, gaps etc. If anything they are the most realistic as they’re entirely mechanical and authentic. They’re not trying to be something they’re not. 

I’ve also got a couple of the Gaugemaster Sound Modules and I find they added more to my layouts than DCC sound did. Some of them include the noises of intermittent passing trains.

Edited by moawkwrd
  • Agree 1