The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Day Rover tickets, what a great bargain

hayfield

Last month we took my wife's parents to Cornwall for a holiday. One day we wanted to go to St Ives, rather than block up the roads looking for somewhere to park, we used the park and ride facility at St Erth.

The benefits were trouble free parking and a nice view of the estuary which you cannot see via the road. To my surprise a day ranger ticket for the 4 of us was the same price as 2 returns.

What great value and so much easier access to the harbour than any car park. With an estuary vies thrown in. Not to say a ride on a train

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

The NE & NW Day rangers are great. My wife did a day out last month with a friend who had never experienced a trip on the Settle & Carlisle. Durham - Leeds - Carlisle - Newcastle - Durham, with a railcard, for about GBP40. Separate singles worked out at over GBP130!

A couple of years ago we did Penrith - Carlisle - Ravenglass (break for lunch at the Ratty Arms, then a bimble round the old harbour) - Lancaster - Penrith.

A year before that we did Durham - Darlington - Middlesbrough - Whitby - Middlesbrough - Durham coast to Newcastle - Durham, with friends.

Cheap as (pick one of several variations :P ), & a great way to see some amazing scenery.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Also worth watching the local press (if you still have such a thing). They occasionally have offers - collect three tokens and your local day rover ticket costs a tenner.  Or at least it was that before the dreaded lurgy. 

Edited by BoD