A look at the Hawksworths

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Just a heads up that the chocolate and cream versions are surfacing.The corridor 3rd is in stock.How can I justify one then ?

http://www.ehattons.....aspx?sid=35925

Well it's like this Rob ..... something to do with it being your railwaywink.gifbiggrin.gif. Go on treat yourself because if they're as nice as the ones in later liveries they are a bargain.

• Like 1

A couple of these and a few chocolate and cream Mk1s behind my 38xx/2251 will make a fantastic preservation-style western rake, as seen on the South Devon

In reality, how long would these coaches have stayed in chocolate and cream? Would they have returned to chocolate and cream later in BR days?

Would they have returned to chocolate and cream later in BR days?

No. I'm sure we covered that earlier in the thread but, to cut a long story short, the only Hawksworths to bear BR choc-cream apart from the dynamometer car were the brake composites 7372 and 7377, kept for Royal and VIP work, and the three BCKs 7374/5/6 converted to slip coaches in 1958.

How long those turned out new in GW choc-cream kept that livery is a good question. I would guess they acquired blood and custard quite quickly. Mind you, there is a colour pic by R C Riley of an auto trailer still in choc-cream in 1955 ...

Chris

• Like 1

Although the Hawksworths were modern, they were not front-line stock. The GWR had built better coaches before the war. Photos show the Hawkies as go-anywhere do-anything carriages. On the basis that the final choc & creams were turned out in 1948 - 1949, (ignoring the insignia), I suppose a 4 - 5-year lifespan could be expected from the choc & cream paintwork.

• Like 4

I have just taken delivery of a full third R4501, the first of an eventual rake as the others become available. The GWR livery is splendid on this model (perhaps I am biased coming from Bristol!).

Unfortunately it is going straight back in the box and off to the shop as one of the bogies is warped causing it to derail on the curves. This is a problem I am seeing more and more with Hornby models, I have had to send several back to the shop or get hold of spare parts to perform repairs myself. I only hope the subsequent coaches are in a better state.

• 2 weeks later...

The Hawksworth coaches are definately beautiful models ... yet the protoypes regrettably arrived little too late for my 1920s/30s range ...

Too late for me too but I still bought a full rake of blood and custards ( and no doubt will get some C&C as well). I run them as what David Jenkinson used to called his'funny trains'. They come out every now and then with a county or Gas Turbine (not sure how I justified that one in 1930's Wiltshire) at the front. Although I usually stick rigidly to my period it is fun to run something different now and then for two reasons,

1. I, like others, think the quality is outstanding for the price, and

2. I feel Hornby deserve all the support they can get for such a bold move in producing so many different vehicles (how many all firsts will they sell?).

I actually sold some unbuilt 1930's period unbuilt kits to part fund the purchase.

regards

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

Mike Wiltshire wrote

1. I, like others, think the quality is outstanding for the price, and

2. I feel Hornby deserve all the support they can get for such a bold move in producing so many different vehicles (how many all firsts will they sell?).

It appears like that the Hawksworths offer a good quality. A comparable Fleischmann or Roco coach would be approx. £ 45,-. Btw, do they feature short couplings again?

Concerning the amount sold of the all first I would not mind. Usually, high-classed coaches are represented far more than adequately in model train rakes. Hopefully, Hornby stick to their policy to re-issue coaches in different numbers once sold out.

No. I'm sure we covered that earlier in the thread but, to cut a long story short, the only Hawksworths to bear BR choc-cream apart from the dynamometer car were the brake composites 7372 and 7377, kept for Royal and VIP work, and the three BCKs 7374/5/6 converted to slip coaches in 1958.

How long those turned out new in GW choc-cream kept that livery is a good question. I would guess they acquired blood and custard quite quickly. Mind you, there is a colour pic by R C Riley of an auto trailer still in choc-cream in 1955 ...

Chris

Thumbing through Robert Hendry's 'BR Coaching Stock In Colour For The Modeller & Historian', there's a cracking shot of W7372W still in WR choc & cream in September '67 (possibly taken at Buckfastliegh...?). The caption says it was put back into ordinary service but doesn't say when.

Bought my first blood & custard one recently - what a lovely model, still I couldn't resist weathering it slightly and dulling down the roof and undercarriage...

post-7638-0-00413300-1312373707_thumb.jpg

post-7638-0-34253500-1312373867_thumb.jpg

;)

• Like 5

As I found a couple of crimson/cream ones now really cheap I want to try sanding the roof down on them to get rid of the stupid height differences between each roof panel. They really stand out in the weathering Nidge has applied above for example where in practice the roof looks flush unless you are up on top of it!

As I found a couple of crimson/cream ones now really cheap I want to try sanding the roof down on them to get rid of the stupid height differences between each roof panel. They really stand out in the weathering Nidge has applied above for example where in practice the roof looks flush unless you are up on top of it!

Strangely, they stand out more to me in the photos I posted than they do looking at the model itself from a couple of feet away! I don't fancy sanding them down though, I'd probably make a mess of it.

A query while I'm about it though - I need to tidy up the cantrail strip where I managed to get grey paint on it in a few places - in some prototype photos of these vehicles in blood & custard livery, this part looks to be the same shade of grey as the roof but in other shots it looks black, as per the Hornby model out of the box.... I wonder which is right?

;)

Rugd1022, not even BR could make its mind up on the colour of guttering. I've seen official photos of BR Mk. I's with grey gutter (W15425) and black gutter (W15086). On a personal level I always line out the gutter in black on blood & custard stock....It adds to the look of the livery. Black gutters seem to have been carried on for a while in early BR maroon days but dropped later. I dont think the BR (S) region painted a black gutter on green coaches.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Might not be the whole of the train, since some of it is out of shot, but there's a cracking photo in Diesel Hydraulics in the West Country (Huntriss and Gray published by Ian Allenin 2000), of Western Dragoon in maroon, August 1966, crossing Clinnick viaduct, allegedly on the 07.45am Kensington to St Austell motorail and the 8 coaches in view are all Maroon Hawksworths

One of the most handsome coaches ever made in my opinion.

You boys in OO don't know what side your bread is buttered - I have been drooling over the images of the Crimson and cream one on the Hattons website. I can only dream of such things in N - the curtains might be iffy to some, but its like saying Penelope Cruz's nose is unattractive - the overall package is most comely gentlemen.

cheers

Matt W

Gentlemen please put me out of my misery........... Are the current issue of maroon Hawksworths suitable for this date? (1966)

I ve spent most of the evening reading through this thread hoping to find an explanation as to Hornby's description of post 53. Surely that should read post 56 due to being in maroon livery?

Or have l stop reading a page to soon!!

Bob.C

• RMweb Premium

Missprint. It should read 1956.

Missprint. It should read 1956.

Thanks Coachman, well thats what l d hoped, but l d seen it mentioned in two or three sites across the Web, and begain to think i d missed something!. I noticed the these version dont carry the yellow 1st class band at the top of the body so l suspect that they are not suitable for the mid 60s?

Bob.C

Thanks Coachman, well thats what l d hoped, but l d seen it mentioned in two or three sites across the Web, and begain to think i d missed something!. I noticed the these version dont carry the yellow 1st class band at the top of the body so l suspect that they are not suitable for the mid 60s?

Bob.C

Did many Hawksworth get yellow stripes though? I'd guessed by the time it was widespread most Hawksworth were on more secondary services. A bit of yellow isn't the hardest thing to add though anyway if you have a picture of one.