Hi all just a question, I know there is the Athearn roundhouse model of the NS hedgehog loco but does anyone know of any plans by scaletrains or for Athearn to include into the genesis line up of the AC44C6 in any variant? , scaletrains tend to do a lot of NS so hopefully this will be in the range soon, might drop them a mail 

2 hours ago, Lovemymodelling said:

Hi all just a question, I know there is the Athearn roundhouse model of the NS hedgehog loco but does anyone know of any plans by scaletrains or for Athearn to include into the genesis line up of the AC44C6 in any variant? , scaletrains tend to do a lot of NS so hopefully this will be in the range soon, might drop them a mail 

So, I am guessing you want a NS version but I will be complete for anyone else looking at this wanting CP or CSX who also have AC44C6 units.

If Athearn did the NS hedgehog as part of their Roundhouse line it isn't accurate (whether that matters is entirely up to you).

So what is the AC44C6 - it depends on the railroad as it is a designation used for rebuilds.  NS started with C40-9 (aka Dash-9) while CP and CSX used AC4400 units.  In the NS case in addition to internal upgrades they also changed the front end - they went from the spartan cab to the wide nose cab (same design as a ES44AC).

So we have (at minimum) a loco called AC44C6 with at least 2 different looks depending on what it is based on.

So the good news - both Athearn and ScaleTrains have modern tooling for the Dash-9 units, and both will be also releasing the AC4400 units at some point in the future (essentially the Dash-9 is a DC loco, the AC4400 the AC version of the same loco - Athearn have been more public, showing CAD drawings and indicating their AC4400 will be announced maybe in the next 2 months, if not then early-ish next year, but ScaleTrains has said they are planning the AC4400)

So that means both with have a base to start on for all the AC44C6 units.

ScaleTrains and Athearn both also have tooling for the ES44AC, so (in theory) have cabs to use for the NS unit depending on how close it is.

End result - it appears one or both could offer accurate NS AC44C6 units if they feel the market is there.

Best then would be to provide feedback that you want one, perhaps even giving a specific roadnumber if you want a specific unit.

ScaleTrains contact info is at https://www.scaletrains.com/contact-st/

Athearn product suggestions should go to athearn-productsuggestions@athearn.com

Edited by mdvle
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks MDVLE very interesting, I’m a snob when purchasing correctly detailed locomotives I’ve  mostly genesis , scaletrains rivet counter, Fox Valley , Atlas and Bowser now back in the hobby in my mid life I’m more choosey , I had relatives in Boston and used to visit 1 to 2 times a year when a kid (80s) buy my blue box and order twice the price on detail parts, the roundhouse seems to be the blue box of today.

I don’t model NS but like the scheme the hedgehog locos are in, my only other NS loco in a rosta of 30 is the GoRail SD60E in genesis only because again like the GoRail scheme and caboose stop had  mint model for $115 , as long as accurate I’d probably take a yellow, blue and red front! , I don’t have any genesis GE all scaletrains but if Athearn come up with the goods that may be my first, 

Like I said, key would be to provide feedback - Athearn in particular during their Athearn Train Tuesday events (done every Tuesday on Facebook/YouTube) have been making the point that paint schemes being offered are being based on feedback.