The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Eon & their new system/website/billing etc.

melmerby

Had an email from Eon, now on Eon Next.

The email is too jokey for my liking, hinting there may be problems in the short term with payments not showing on the account 'whilst they coax them out of hiding' - FFS this is my energy billing from an energy company in the middle of an energy crisis and they are making jokey emails that their new billing system has bugs.

If it doesn't work properly why have you rolled it out idiots.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

The email is too jokey for my liking, hinting there may be problems in the short term with payments not showing on the account 'whilst they coax them out of hiding' - FFS this is my energy billing from an energy company in the middle of an energy crisis and they are making jokey emails that their new billing system has bugs.

All part of a trend to make everything jolly and informal and unthreatening and friendly. As a grumpy old man before my time (mentally there even though I'm not there chronologically) I can't stand it; I find it disrespectful of the people it's being sent to, and gives the impression they're not taking issues seriously.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

AFAIAC it is far from a joke.

First I got a e-mail "final" warning for a bill I hadn't had, also they hadn't asked for a reading.

Then I got an e-mail asking for a reading, which I did and entered it. From that I got another bill with seven days to pay. I paid it by bank transfer after a couple of days.

I have now had a paper "final" warning for a different total again with one day to pay. The date appears to be 28th September:scratchhead:(it was something else but has been changed.)

In the meantime I had sent them an e-mail asking what was going on, mentioning the first final warning.

The reply was a little vague but was on the line of "You may have been used to paying every three months but here at Eon Next our billing is every month", rather eluding to me moved there from a different company.

Good grief it is still Eon, it is them that has moved things, not me. The also didn't mention the final warning I asked about.

Total utter shambles. If this is how a major energy company operates were all doomed:jester:

Edited by melmerby
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Total utter shambles. If this is how a major energy company operates were all doomed:jester:

Which is exactly what I told my wife about 15 minutes ago, this is their billing system, it's clear they are leaving their old legacy system and moving to a new one, if they know they are having problems why are they continuing the rollout.

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

The email is too jokey for my liking, hinting there may be problems in the short term with payments not showing on the account 'whilst they coax them out of hiding' -<> they are making jokey emails that their new billing system has bugs.

This way of emailing was started by Beardy Branson with Virgin Media when NTL took the Virgin branding to relaunch themselves. It was quite obvious that by being 'matey' people missed the content of the email which was usually the service is being cut/ your charges are going up.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Which is exactly what I told my wife about 15 minutes ago, this is their billing system, it's clear they are leaving their old legacy system and moving to a new one, if they know they are having problems why are they continuing the rollout.

As well as asking what this current bill is for I have sent them as a reply to their previous reply e-mail to me the reference number of the Bill I paid 2 days ago and a screengrab of the Bank transaction that paid it.

Lets see what happens next.

• RMweb Premium

I hate Eon now - no consultation, repeated "requests" for meter readings - then they are ignored and I get estimates - still all the time I am in credit, I will stay with them - until I move in a coupe of months, then I'll see who seems to be giving the least mediocre service.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

AFAIAC it is far from a joke.

First I got a e-mail "final" warning for a bill I hadn't had, also they hadn't asked for a reading.

Then I got an e-mail asking for a reading, which I did and entered it. From that I got another bill with seven days to pay. I paid it by bank transfer after a couple of days.

I have now had a paper "final" warning for a different total again with one day to pay. The date appears to be 28th September:scratchhead:(it was something else but has been changed.)

In the meantime I had sent them an e-mail asking what was going on, mentioning the first final warning.

The reply was a little vague but was on the line of "You may have been used to paying every three months but here at Eon Next our billing is every month", rather eluding to me moved there from a different company.

Good grief it is still Eon, it is them that has moved things, not me. The also didn't mention the final warning I asked about.

How did you find an email address?

They only offer me a reply option via a message on facebook.

I got as far as finding a phone number this morning and tried it, after the usual nonsense I was told basically, that unless I was desperate, to wait until next week and try again.

It amounted to admitting that they were in the without actually saying so.

I thought BG were bad.

Bernard

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, Bernard Lamb said:

How did you find an email address?

Bernard

It was on the website. It's also at the top of their bills.

hi@eonnext.com

or eonnext.com/contact

Phone 0808 501 5200

Edited by melmerby
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 7 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

E.on Next up to it's old tricks again

Instead of asking me for a reading they just sent me a rather high estimated bill.

Why can't they have an automated "send us a reading" email every month? Oh Well.

Anyway read the meters and sent the readings.

Site balks at my reading "it's too low" recheck your reading and re-enter.

No. My reading is correct, so they will have to accept it.

What a bunch of w*nkers.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, melmerby said:

E.on Next up to it's old tricks again

Instead of asking me for a reading they just sent me a rather high estimated bill.

Why can't they have an automated "send us a reading" email every month? Oh Well.

Anyway read the meters and sent the readings.

Site balks at my reading "it's too low" recheck your reading and re-enter.

No. My reading is correct, so they will have to accept it.

What a bunch of w*nkers.

I'd check what details they've got for you, I get an automated "send us a reading" email every month from them.

They still don't ever seem to adjust the payments down to what I actually use, was over-paying even in the winter (which should at least cushion me a bit from the price rises).

Edited by Reorte

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Reorte said:

I'd check what details they've got for you, I get an automated "send us a reading" email every month from them.

They still don't ever seem to adjust the payments down to what I actually use, was over-paying even in the winter (which should at least cushion me a bit from the price rises).

I get an automated "send us a reading" sometimes but not always, then they just fire off a (usually high) bill.

The old E.on seemed to be fine, the EonNext incarnation is just rubbish.

• Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Reorte said:

Some companies are different: Bulb (now bankrupt but still operating…), for example, sends an automated email 3 days before every billing to request a reading. If you don’t send one then they estimate.

But the amount of the direct debit is totally within your control: you can change it as often as you like on their website, so it’s impossible for them to build up a crazy credit balance at your expense. 

My very elderly, disabled mother died last year so I’ve been dealing with her utility suppliers. Some are better than others (after I’d informed them of her death, one sent a wildly inappropriate jokey email thanking me for contacting them and asking me to assess how well they’d done. The tone was extraordinarily disrespectful. Clearly their marketeers had decided on the company’s brand tone and applied it everywhere, irrespective of the circumstances. Even death).

British Gas, it turns out, had been estimating her bills for more than two years (she was bed-bound and couldn’t read the meter, but had always paid her bills the second they arrived). They knew she was a vulnerable customer. They had never sent a meter reader. Her account was over £1.5k in credit because they’d over-estimated her bills. The first bill I received for the 3 months after her death was for over £600 on top of that credit.

That looks like theft to me. At the least, getting a dying disabled woman to subsidise your corporate cash-flow strikes me as pretty despicable. Still, at least the dividends are paid to the owners…

Paul

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

So eon-next

We were with eon last year until we moved house in July, moved house and energy supplier thought nothing more.

Last week got a bill from a debt agency chasing a £50 debt for eon next for a week in August last year (we had moved by then), the bill was in my wife’s name but the energy bills had always been in my name as they came out of my account. Only received letter as we had mail divert and no other correspondence had been received until this point.

Got on the email to eon (as you cannot get any answer on the phone) and emailed a copy of the land registry entry (although this does not prove we were not resident only the house changed hands) and a request to open a complaint.

Anyway upshot is that they have backed down and offered £100 compensation which we will probably spend on our next energy bill ironically.

Sorted in the end but a bit of hassle I didn’t need.

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

We used to be with NumptyPower - we thought they were bad until EonNext took over.

Without consultation or warning we were switched from quarterly to monthly billing (which is actually fine with us).

NumptyPower used to send us an email (with 10 days grace) to send a meter reading & we would get an accurate bill which we would pay on line.

How easy was that ?

Far, far too easy for eonNext of course with the inevitable deluge of inaccurate bills garnished with unanswered emails.

We sent them an email with the subject "Change of Terms & Conditions" (if they can do it then I reckon we can too).

We stated that we will send them a meter reading (gas only, ther other stuff is with a bunch of robbers the other side of the channel) on the last Sunday of each month.

They will send us an accurate bill.

We will then pay it withing a week on line.

Do not send us an estimated bill - these will be ignored.

Last we heard it had been referred to their legal department.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I get e-mail reminders for meter readings once a calendar month, regular as clockwork now.

They then tell you how much you owe them and a fully itemised bill is sent within a couple of days, except the most recent reading.

I got the e-mail on 4th September and duly sent the readings. I waited for the itemised bill, it didn't come, so on the 7th Sept I logged on to check what I owed. It said I was in debit by £127 so I paid it, (It seemed low but the weather had been good)

On the 26th, the bill finally arrived dated 25th Sept showing that the gas had not been included on the original £127 deficit and there was another £64 to pay, which I duly did.

The bill also included an estimate of the charges from October. An eyewatering, £2473 for electricity and £4287 for gas, a total of £6760.

The next day I got another e-mail with my estimated yearly use from October and it is now  £1727 & £3101, a total of £4828

• RMweb Premium

I was with Powershop, who had an absoultly brilliant website that showed you useage graphs for either days or months, and you could troll around to your hearts content. They were taken over by Eon before the first round of companies collapsing, and we were moved to EON Next, which has a crappy website that shows you next to nothing. Interestingly they are recommending I change my tarrif at the minute. My present one will cost me £730ish a year, but their recommended one is £1380ish...... How daft do they think I am? I do meter readings each month and the wife pays them, which is fine.

Meanwhile I've bought next door (tiny cottage, just big enough to give a spare bedroom and office to us) and have been dealing with EDF. I did all the things you do when you 'move in' like a meter reading and setting up an account. I also asked for the meter to be removed (We've got solar panels so feed the 'west wings' consumer unit from ours). 

I got a date for the removal of the meter, smack in the middle of our continental holiday. I phoned up and told them that we needed a new date, and gave them the dates when we would be back, and was told I would be emailed with the new date....

Meanwhile a bill arrives addressed to the owner/occupier between two dates next door. I phone the customer services people and explain the situation and give them the previous owners details, which they put on record, and I'm told to ignore any other letters. 

Get back from hols, to find a message on the answer phone from the engineer who had come to remove the meter on the original date, so check emails, nothing there. Go next door, and there is a another bill for the previous owners, so I phone customer services and explain, and ask for a new date for the meter removal. Again told that I would get an email with a new date, and to ignore the letters.

A fortnight later a letter from a debt collection agency drops through next door. So I call customer services, the first person has a bad internet line, which drops me out. I call back and asks what the issue is and I start telling him, in an annoyed tone that I want to speak to a manager, so he puts me on 'hold' which turns out that he just hung up on me! 

Cue a Google search for complaints, and finally after working out how to get through their auto dialling system, I get to speak to a nice lady in complaints who can see that I've provided all the details for the previous owner and promisies to sort it out, contact the debt agency to stop the letters, and as its their fault gives me £30. She also arranges an appointment for the meter removal as she can see the booking system (the plebs can't see the system, it has to go to a 'bookings office'!). 

A fortnight later I get another letter from the debt collection agency, so I'm straight onto the complaints dept, re-open my complaint, and the girls says that the address and account details for that old account need updating and she'll get that sorted.....

The lad turned up to take the meter out, but couldn't understand why he was just removing the meter, until I told him. Nice lad, but he worked for an agency, not EDF.

Three days later I get a letter through the post to tell me that the engineer is coming and will need access. It was dated two days before the appointment (which was a friday) and arrived on the Monday.......

Yesterday I had a letter from them advising me that my bill will rise over winter, which is interesting, as I have no meter and cannot get electricity from them... I wonder if I'll get the £400 quid from them still?

At one point I was wondering if my pigeon French would make me more understandable to them....

I'm just waiting for another threatening letter or a pair of baliffs to arrive now. 

Andy G

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Just had a visit from a meter reader for Eon who wanted to read the gas meter only.

They are going to find a problem because I misread the meters a couple of months ago and ended up with a higher than it should've been bill, which I paid.

When It came to the next readings they were still lower than the previous ones. So I just added some to that and submitted it, hoping after a couple of months I would be back to normal.

Unfortunately, the reading is still less than the previous one.☹️

I wonder what they will do?😆