Gopher

• RMweb Gold

I do like the BR MT locos, very purposeful looking.  But I should really start building a layout before I buy any more locos!

Shouldn't I?  😀

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, Graham T said:

I do like the BR MT locos, very purposeful looking.  But I should really start building a layout before I buy any more locos!

Shouldn't I?  😀

I agree Graham about the 2MT.  You could argue that if you buy more locos its gives you even more incentive to build a new layout.  On the other hand - the funds might be better allocated to a new layout. 

I suffered loco running withdrawal symptoms in the brief period between Dewchurch 2 hitting the bin and Dewchurch 3 rising from the ashes.   I tend to pop into the layout room and run locos most days, even if only for 20 mins or so.   Quite relaxing s long as things work as they should 😀        

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Gopher said:

I agree Graham about the 2MT.  You could argue that if you buy more locos its gives you even more incentive to build a new layout.  On the other hand - the funds might be better allocated to a new layout. 

I suffered loco running withdrawal symptoms in the brief period between Dewchurch 2 hitting the bin and Dewchurch 3 rising from the ashes.   I tend to pop into the layout room and run locos most days, even if only for 20 mins or so.   Quite relaxing s long as things work as they should 😀        

I just landed a full-time job Clive, with a pretty decent salary...  So I'm now wondering whether I can afford to skip the loft layout stage and instead move directly on to building the mahoosive garden layout room.  Hmm!

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

22 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I just landed a full-time job Clive, with a pretty decent salary...  So I'm now wondering whether I can afford to skip the loft layout stage and instead move directly on to building the mahoosive garden layout room.  Hmm!

That is great news Graham, really pleased for you.  I think the Garden building layout beckons.  May as well get more locos as well 😄

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Gopher said:

16xx Pannier still looking for it's train but has to wait for the signal to clear

IMG_5933.JPG.dae87dbe5e1d9472c137cef00d00f7e8.JPG

IMG_5931.JPG.7e5f93988b57e5fe48ccd4a75e24420c.JPG

Is it as recalcitrant as the Little Muddle signal?! 🙂

• Funny 2

50 minutes ago, Nevermakeit said:

Is it as recalcitrant as the Little Muddle signal?! 🙂

I don't think it can compete with the Little Muddle signal (which seems to have a mind of its own).  I think the signalman may be the problem,  He just does not like light engines, even those with a brake van in tow.  

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gopher said:

Well we've made it to Dewchurch only to be held up by another signal.  I guess some people just don't like Panniers

20240731_134103.jpg.fdd537832d9ce00127f958ae52b3523c.jpg

The signals appear to have working lights?  How difficult was it to get those to work, please?

1 hour ago, Nevermakeit said:

The signals appear to have working lights?  How difficult was it to get those to work, please?

These are the Dapol 00 signals, with working lights already installed.  So I can't claim any credit apart from installing them and wiring them up 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

In other news I've started another tank build - 1/16th M1A2 Abrams. 

Not much to show for an afternoon's work (about 20 screws worth).  Took me a while to get familiar with the various parts of the kit, especially the bags of screws (of numerous sizes).  Also took me a while to get my head back in the game as the saying goes. 

I should start the build (as per the instructions), by building the gear boxes  (which are a work of art in their own right).  They are an identical build to the Leopard 2A6  which I built about 19 years ago.  I can remember the gear box build being quite a challenge

Anyway I've jumped ahead to start adding bits to the hull, mainly because I want to undercoat it whilst the weather is still good.  Next stage on the hull is to add the fittings for the suspension and road wheels.

I tend to give a fair bit of thought/planning  before I start kits like this - mainly when is the best time to undercoat and top coat (and even weather) the various bits ?   I'd rather not handle the hull with greasy hands once it is undercoated/top coated.  So I tend to add as much detail as possible before painting.  

Some modellers build virtually the whole thing then undercoat, pre-shade and top coat.     

Should keep me occupied for quite a few weeks.

20240803_150205.jpg.e29c86308023fc561dff556ef20209b6.jpg

20240803_150151.jpg.348c37b1477a03900081bf2d8e50c35c.jpg

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Oh good another tank build. I do like a 1/16th tank. I have a Tiger 1 that I trot out to chase the grand kiddies with, it fires airsoft and paintball rounds. 

Regards Lez.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, lezz01 said:

Oh good another tank build. I do like a 1/16th tank. I have a Tiger 1 that I trot out to chase the grand kiddies with, it fires airsoft and paintball rounds. 

Regards Lez.

Thanks  Lez.  Sounds like good sport.  I like the Tiger 1, first Tamiya 1/16th scale Tank kit I built.  I visited the Tank Museum at Bovington in June.  Have not been there for 20 years, always enjoy the exhibits especially the Tiger 1. 

Clive

13 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Clive nice to see another tank build and with a metal hull. Will be watching with interest.😉

Thanks Kevin, makes a nice change from railway modelling 

Clive

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 1

The Pannier 16xx finally made it, and is safely stabled in the head shunt.  The guard is pleased as he can now slope off to the Goods office  to scrounge some more tea.  It was a slow journey and his Billy can ran dry.

20240803_121546.jpg.0f7d9a02488b2049ba89b39f7a17bd80.jpg

20240803_121512.jpg.451ac1442e97045e00356a9baf36f6a5.jpg

20240803_121435.jpg.6bed3fd381881be7c7d57d68e16ba765.jpg

• Like 12