Gopher

That wagon is very similar to one at Chinnor used by the track gang it was often taken out with the cement mixer and other gear , they spent a long time repairing it and putting a unit for tools etc at one end.Don't know if its still there as I have not worked down there for quite a while but it became a useful wagon.

• Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Very nice job. I think that this wagon was being discussed over on ANTB recently and I pointed out that the deck timber would have been that colour when brand new but it soon turns a silvery grey. There was plenty of talk about a coat of weathering making all the difference and it certainly does!

Thanks Rob.  I saw the comments on the ANTB thread and agree with you, weathering makes all the difference.  I think the Hornby choice of colour for the wood decking is a bit strange, looks too reddish to me,  but what do I know.  

12 hours ago, lmsforever said:

That wagon is very similar to one at Chinnor used by the track gang it was often taken out with the cement mixer and other gear , they spent a long time repairing it and putting a unit for tools etc at one end.Don't know if its still there as I have not worked down there for quite a while but it became a useful wagon.

That's interesting.  I think there were only ever two Loiriot Y  wagons manufactured by the GWR.  One was scrapped as far as I can tell, and the other was on the Severn Valley Railway (not sure if it is still there). 

Busy time at Harewood Halt.  The 14xx normally pulls an auto coach or two. Today it is pulling a couple of non-corridor coaches (of Midland origin) so will need to run around when it reaches Dewchurch 

20230223_153559.jpg

20230223_153617.jpg

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 11

This view shows some ready to plant buildings,  water tower and hut (Bachmann), at Dewchurch.  I gave up scratch building buildings because I was never totally happy with the results.  So I prefer to make and paint kits (mainly laser cut mdf).  Having said that one of the buildings in the back scene (behind the water tower) is scratch built.  

I am happy to use some ready to plant buildings.  I repaint some bits, and then weather them.  I also re-glazed the window in the water tower with glue n glaze.         

20230212_162332.jpg

• Like 8

Time for some more modelling (other than painting figures and weathering locos and rolling stock)

I have been looking for a suitable building to add a small milking parlour to Monkton Farm.  Then Scale Model Scenery launched their latest laser cut kit.  

20230302_125505.jpg.5745c583ed9158f2c2eb537aa704cc05.jpg

(The Woodland Scenics white metal Track Type loader is another project destined to be a wagon load)

I plan to use two of the buildings in the SMS kit (not sure which two), as space is limited.  Most farms had small milking parlours back in the 1950/60s, and they came in all shapes and sizes.  I like this kit because you have a choice of three separate buildings which can be configured in different ways . 

The plan is to replace this Wills barn, which is quite a few years old.  

20230302_125519.jpg.8b3f975cbb7851262114c2e0784d39ba.jpg

• Like 10

2 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Interesting photos Clive.  I don't know why, but I always had the impression that the Deltic was bigger than that.  Not HO is it?!

Thanks Graham  No the Deltic is the Accurascale 00 model.  It is quite a beast.  I think the perspective of the photo may make it look smaller than the Western in the foreground.  The Railcar is the Heljan 00 model.  It does seem quite large compared to the Deltic.  

Clive

• Like 1

The shell of the new milking parlour temporarily in situ.  It has a bigger footprint than the barn it is replacing, so had to cut into the scenery to make room for it. 

20230303_145516.jpg.9e8aaa51b3a06addc5d74a3ae17eef9d.jpg

20230303_145521.jpg

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 7

The shell of the milking parlour, with walling added. I thought it would look a bit more  interesting if the lower building had a weathered brick finish, on the basis that this building was added at a later date when hand milking stopped

20230304_124256.jpg

20230304_124312.jpg

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Looks nicely done Clive.  What were the techniques you used?

Thank you Graham.

First up - I use a bow pen to run a diluted Tamiya Nato Black into the door seems, door handles, horizontal window bars, and anywhere else I think grime may gather.

I then airbrush Nato black over the roof, but use the airbrush to try to replicate the streaking on the roof (sometimes have to draw a brush over the wet paint to get the desired effect. ) I also lightly airbrush Lifecolor frame dirt over the body panels to tone them down, and Nato black over the corridor ends

I airbrush Nato black on the underframe, then whilst still wet, airbrush diluted Lifecolor, frame dirt, sleeper grime, track dirt onto the underframe.   The wet paints merge and can give some nice subtle variations in tone.  However being acrylic you have to work quickly   

I then pause for breathe to review the results.  More often than not, I have to re-spray the underframe and bogies with a combination of the Lifecolor paints.  I aim for a subtle brownish shade, and try to vary the colour on the bogies to replicate break dust deposits.

If I am in the mood, I then dry brush axle boxes, with a grease type paint.  Add grease spots to the buffers.  

Thanks for asking

Clive

• Informative/Useful 3