Gopher

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Graham T said:

I haven't started planning in that much detail yet, but will probably use Modelu products, after seeing them put to very good use here by @Rowsley17D.

Highly recommended but be careful in removing the supports of which there are many. It's all too easy to break a leg. The resin is quite brittle.

• Informative/Useful 2

15 hours ago, Nevermakeit said:

Is there anything that you would recommend, please?

Wizard Models offer point rodding components in a mixture of white metal, and brass.  I think they are finer scale than the Wills rodding. 

I bought some years ago, but never got round to installing it.    - extract from their on-line catalogue below.  

LS005LS005: Point Rodding Stools (pack of 20)4mm - 00, EM, P4 etc.

LS006-1LS006/1: Point Rodding Cranks and Pulleys4mm - 00, EM, P4 etc.

LS006-2LS006/2: Square Point Rodding Wire (pack of 10)4mm - 00, EM, P4 etc., All Scales

LS006-3LS006/3: Round Point Rodding Wire (pack of 10)4mm - 00, EM, P4 etc., All Scales

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Gopher said:

Having posted a photo of Kidwelly castle at Platform 1, here is Western Invader (in the interests of equality etc) 😄 .  The cattle have finally left.

20230212_162540.jpg.bd306d88bb9c88d612e5e9e9dbd2ea10.jpg

Why? Don't they like diseasels?

GW Mogul 6364 heads along the Welsh Marches towards Dewchurch with a stopping passenger train.    

The tender is nearly empty of coal.   The fireman is having "a spell" and enjoying the scenery, luckily there are no severe gradients between here and Dewchurch so the coal should last

20230219_145547.jpg

20230219_145717.jpg

20230219_145739.jpg

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 12

2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That mogul looks very impressive and it's not often that you see an empty tender modelled.

Thanks Rob.  It is the new Dapol model with my home made weathering and a bit of detailing.  I like it when you have the option to model tenders virtually empty.  Adds a bit of variety to the steam loco fleet. 

The model runs well and sounds good (now that I have replaced the loco/tender linkage), and fitted finer scale bogie wheels.  I think the new Dapol models (Moguls and Manors) are pretty impressive.      

• Like 1

Those tender side plates do look like steel sheet about 1/4" thick rather than the usual 3" thick plastic that's almost impossible to disguise. It's a cracking looking model that will doubtless cause a massive reworking of my old Bachmann example when I dig it out of storage.

• Like 1

47xx at the end of the coaling siding.  It has been turned, fed and watered. 

Dewchurch is a small shed with far too many locos, so the shed foreman has a constant headache  stabling locos, and then retrieving them for their next turn of duty.  Involves much shunting.  Some locos (tank engines, and some freight engines) do not visit the shed, they get water from one of the station water cranes.  As long as they have enough coal they will operate bunker first on their return journey.   Crews are not always happy with this arrangement.      

20230212_162237.jpg.85d83e602aa6aec986a541b835f6c5a3.jpg

• Like 10

I'm a huge fan of 3d printed accessories. Here we have the latest loco crew figures to arrive at Dewchurch, and a sack truck with luggage.  They are a mixture of Modelu and Hardy's Hobbies.

Once I've painted figures and some small accessories I give them a sepia wash to highlight details.  This tones down the colours as well as bringing out some of the detail.   It does dry with a slight sheen though, which is not noticeable when the figures are on the layout, but is visible in close up photos (unfortunately). 

IMG_5505.JPG.9e336732843cdb74ac3959115ecf161e.JPG

IMG_5503.JPG.9fe1c0d582d302be0f24b280dbf3e289.JPG

IMG_5504.JPG.2c948a0aa2c227ef99767015184ad629.JPG

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Gopher said:

I'm a huge fan of 3d printed accessories. Here we have the latest loco crew figures to arrive at Dewchurch, and a sack truck with luggage.  They are a mixture of Modelu and Hardy's Hobbies.

Once I've painted figures and some small accessories I give them a sepia wash to highlight details.  This tones down the colours as well as bringing out some of the detail.   It does dry with a slight sheen though, which is not noticeable when the figures are on the layout, but is visible in close up photos (unfortunately). 

IMG_5505.JPG.9e336732843cdb74ac3959115ecf161e.JPG

IMG_5503.JPG.9fe1c0d582d302be0f24b280dbf3e289.JPG

IMG_5504.JPG.2c948a0aa2c227ef99767015184ad629.JPG

That looks like very detailed work. Do you use magnification or just have good eyesight and a steady hand? 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Nevermakeit said:

That looks like very detailed work. Do you use magnification or just have good eyesight and a steady hand? 

Thanks.  I have a steady hand, but use a head magnifier (as well as my glasses).  I try not to remember a time when I needed neither to paint my 1/72 Airfix soldiers.    

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Clive, your painted figures look great, but I'm curious as to why you leave the square stands on them?  I've found that most 3D printed figures will stand without them.  Yours certainly look as if they would.

Hope you don't think I'm being picky, am just curious!

9 hours ago, Graham T said:

Clive, your painted figures look great, but I'm curious as to why you leave the square stands on them?  I've found that most 3D printed figures will stand without them.  Yours certainly look as if they would.

Hope you don't think I'm being picky, am just curious!

Thanks Graham.  I actually cut off the 3d printed stands. and then fix the figures with superglue to small cuts of clear plasticard.  This is not very visible from  the normal viewing distance and lets me re-position figures quite easily.  Most of the figures will not stand on their own two feet (unfortunately) so need some means of  support.  I tried tacky wax, but unless you use a largish dollop, (which then oozes), the figures fall over.  Other option was to pin them in some way, but did not want lots of small holes on pavements etc.  So clear plastic stands is the least worst option for me    

Clive

Edited by Gopher
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I popped into my local model shop on Thursday intent on buying the new Rapido GWR 4 plank open wagon.  (You can never have too many open wagons in the BR steam era). 

Anyway I came out with this instead.  The new Hornby GWR Loriot Y in BR colours.    I think these wagons were as rare as hens teeth on the real railway, but I have a soft spot for these odd wagons.  So here it is after a couple of days of weathering with paintbrush and airbrush, with a suitable load.  The wagon has a metal body, and is nicely detailed.  I was not mad on the  rosewood colour planking so repainted individual planks, and then applied washes and dry brushing to make it a bit grottier.  

20230224_152001.jpg.b8ef7c13e572246a170431ecbb3e255b.jpg

20230224_151853.jpg.a6a9b21da98686f91ac9d9330fae4ae3.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Very nice job. I think that this wagon was being discussed over on ANTB recently and I pointed out that the deck timber would have been that colour when brand new but it soon turns a silvery grey. There was plenty of talk about a coat of weathering making all the difference and it certainly does!

• Agree 1