Gopher

Here's the real thing  - 5541 small prairie at the Dean Forest Railway (Bachmann Collectors Club Members Day).  I think Bachmann do a great job organising these events.  Second one I have been to, always good to see behind the scenes at the preserved lines.   

20220903_151605.jpg

• Like 9

11 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Clive, do you remember where you got your Hereford cattle from?  I have some but they look a bit undernourished, yours look far better.

Graham - The ones on the right in the photo were bought at the Warley show a few years ago, from a small stall.  Sorry can't remember the name other than it was a lady who was hand painting the animals. I am not sure she is still in business, because I failed to trace her when I wanted to buy more.  The ones on the left  are white metal and hand painted by me so hence not as good as the pre-painted ones.

I'll see if I can check out the list of traders at the show (which must have been the 2019 show), and hunt her down.  I know Ten Commandments also offer hand painted animals, but not seen Hereford cattle in the range. (They do some nice Highland cattle)

I like the ones I bought at the show because they are appropriate for my time scale (and certainly yours).  Although the Hereford cattle breed is alive and well, the beasts are much bigger today than they were 70-80-90 years ago.  I often see pedigree herds when I wander around Herefordshire - lovely animals.      

• Informative/Useful 3

53 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Clive, do you remember where you got your Hereford cattle from?  I have some but they look a bit undernourished, yours look far better.

Found it 🥳  It was Penduke Models, and they have a web site which I'm just about to check out 

P.S They have a range of cattle and even hedgehogs.  Not terribly cheap though 

Edited by Gopher
  • Thanks 1

Photos taken a few weeks ago showing Harewood Signal box.  The wire fence to the left of the platelayer hut has now been fixed down.   I've also added a bit more vegetation.

I have been running the layout most days over the past few weeks with a variety of locos and rolling stock.  All worked beautifully - until I happened to mention to someone that it was all working beautifully.  Of course the next running session was then less successful with derailments. locos stalling etc.  So not for the first time I really must learn to keep my mouth shut.         IMG_5308.JPG.43ea99e7a4856441fe4a8c3674c4d88f.JPG

IMG_5309.JPG

Edited by Gopher
  • Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, MR Chuffer said:

I drop in here occasionally to admire your work, I like busy yards, but why send coal empties to Dewchurch? Is there a coal mine there or coal loading point?

Thanks Mr Chuffer.  Excellent question .

I think my logic for sending coal empties to Dewchurch is a bit (very) flawed.  No coal mine or coal loading point. It goes as follows:

The coal empty train picks up more empties at Dewchurch before it continues it's journey.  So a sort of in and out journey.  The huge flaw is any coal empties sitting in Dewchurch yard would be from the local coal merchant, and therefore would probably arrive loaded, and return empty via the pick up goods as opposed to a dedicated train.   

Thanks again for reading my thread

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, lmsforever said:

Very good site Penduke Models  just a couple of donkeys ,thanks information. Chris

No problem Chris. They have some nice stuff, once I found the website I bought a few more cattle and chickens 

Best wishes

Clive