Missenden Railway Modellers - Springing into 2025....

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, john new said:

Booked, but slightly surprised that I had no emailed newsletter as I thought  had registered. Not an issue for me as I had checked if bookings were open via the website and booked my slot a few days ago. This is just a heads up mention in case there is an unknown problem in that system.

Thanks John - we are very careful with our email and other data so I'll check we have you.

People who just book are not added automatically to our general (3-4 emails a year) circulation but if you have also registered for email that is a bit of a concern.

regards

Chris

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 29/06/2024 at 07:18, john new said:

Booked, but slightly surprised that I had no emailed newsletter as I thought  had registered. Not an issue for me as I had checked if bookings were open via the website and booked my slot a few days ago. This is just a heads up mention in case there is an unknown problem in that system.

PM sent John

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm back ( a little early) from our summer week. I achieved quite a bit but not as much as I planned (obviously) but happily a lot of the "stuff" I took was useful to others!

One of my projects was a Finetrax turnout which "turned out" really well....

We were well looked after and I have assembled a few photos here - click on the pre-dinner drinkers....

Missenden Summer 2024

FWIW we are just modellers bringing fellow-modellers together with support from some of the best tutors in the hobby.

We are not a commercial undertaking!

My thanks to Tony Gee, Jerry Clifford and Tim Watson  for this week (as well as their patient and diplomatic input at Missenden all of them make a positive contribution to rmweb...)

Our Autumn weekend still has places available - if you have any questions please PM me..

https://www.missendenrailwaymodellers.org.uk/index.php/autumn-weekend/ 

We have a very limited number of residential places available for the Autumn so if you want the full "Missenden experience" please do get in touch.

Weathering (including airbrushing) is a great way of getting some Missenden experience and moving on from RTR - if you want to - and seeing what else you might want to do and we still have a couple of places available.

Chris H

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Could one of the 4mm loco building team please remind me, and others, of a good rule of thumb start temperature for soldering white metal?

I have the right solders and flux etc., but have lost the digital file note I made during the last October course and wish to do some more work on what I have started.

I know @t-b-g gave me it verbally on the last Autumn course so apologise to him for my losing the details. This time I will also add a note physically to the soldering iron box. The iron shows 170deg currently but I can't remember if I have used that one for somthing else since. (I have three irons.)

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, john new said:

Could one of the 4mm loco building team please remind me, and others, of a good rule of thumb start temperature for soldering white metal?

I have the right solders and flux etc., but have lost the digital file note I made during the last October course and wish to do some more work on what I have started.

I know @t-b-g gave me it verbally on the last Autumn course so apologise to him for my losing the details. This time I will also add a note physically to the soldering iron box. The iron shows 170deg currently but I can't remember if I have used that one for somthing else since. (I have three irons.)

Hello John,

You probably still have your iron set for low melt at 170 degrees. My experience is that most whitemetal used in kits melts at around 200 degrees, so anything less than that should be safe.

So you should be fine with it as it is already.

Best wishes

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking of coming on the "Painting and Lining" course in October as I have several "bashed" Triang clerestories and Ratio 4-wheelers I'd like to learn how to line (and looking at the Missenden web page has given me an idea for another "bash")....

However I'm slightly confused by the format of the weekend. I had assumed that the tutor would have opened with a demonstration, and the attendees would then have a go, with the tutor providing advice as to what they're doing wrong/could do better, and this pattern would repeat itself over the course of the weekend (e.g. one demonstration after each mealtime), each exploring a different stage or aspect. However the "Format" page seems to suggest the format of the weekend is mostly free "modelling time" with "advice" and "optional demonstrations".

Now, this may be what I'm thinking of, worded a different way... or it may not!

As someone who hasn't really done any lining before, until I've seen it demonstrated I wouldn't have a clue what to do!

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

I'm thinking of coming on the "Painting and Lining" course in October as I have several "bashed" Triang clerestories and Ratio 4-wheelers I'd like to learn how to line (and looking at the Missenden web page has given me an idea for another "bash")....

However I'm slightly confused by the format of the weekend. I had assumed that the tutor would have opened with a demonstration, and the attendees would then have a go, with the tutor providing advice as to what they're doing wrong/could do better, and this pattern would repeat itself over the course of the weekend (e.g. one demonstration after each mealtime), each exploring a different stage or aspect. However the "Format" page seems to suggest the format of the weekend is mostly free "modelling time" with "advice" and "optional demonstrations".

As someone who hasn't really done any lining before, until I've seen it demonstrated I wouldn't have a clue what to do!

PM sent!

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Whilst I've not been on that particular course during the weekend I have been on numerous 4mm Kit Construction and Trackwork Courses over the years.

Geoff Haynes (P & L Course Tutor) is as nice as they come (and an ex- Teacher) and you'll learn oodles.  The scoff at the Abbey is rather good too (Fried Bread with your F/E Sir?)

HTH

Brian

Edited by polybear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I have replied in detail to RJS1977 and put him in touch with Geoff but I'll make a few general comments if it helps..

• We have a new P&L tutor this Autumn - Geoff Haynes - but we expect the format will be similar to what Ian Rathbone did previously- taught sessions and demos but lot of opportunities to do your own projects depending on how you get on.
  • Our individual courses do vary in format but the overall aim is for you to do as much practical work yourself as you can with support and direction from an expert.
  • Tutors normally finalise the structure and course content and format when they gets the individual pre-course forms we send out a few weeks before the weekend.
  • Although the subject matter is taken seriously our courses mostly tend to be relatively informal and everyone works at ther own speed.
  • Finally - its about far more than just your own course - its worth getting round the other rooms and seeing what goes on - we have some very able and knowledgable tutors (and course members - you may learn as much from them as from the tutors)

ChrisH

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, polybear said:

The scoff at the Abbey is rather good too (Fried Bread with your F/E Sir?)

Apparently.....there is a fitness suite....so a hearty breakfast can easily be put behind you....

52274546870_bea46ee21b_c.jpg

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Apparently.....there is a fitness suite....so a hearty breakfast can easily be put behind you....

52274546870_bea46ee21b_c.jpg

😱

• Gilbert changed the title to Missenden Railway Modellers - Springing into 2025....
  • RMweb Gold

After two busy and fruitful days at an excellent Scaleforum we now plan to launch our Spring Weekend 2025 early this week - possibly even as early as today - Tuesday. Dates are 21-23 March.

The following courses are available:

• 4mm loco and kit construction Tony Gee & Tim Watson

• 7mm loco and kit construction Kevin Wilson

• Backscenes & Scenics Paul Bambrick

• DCC Mick Moignard

• Semaphore Signalling Karl Crowther

• Structure Modelling Jerry Clifford

• Weathering (inc. Airbrushes) Chris Hopper

We have managed to keep the cost unchanged at Residential £345 and Non-residential £225.

We also currently have the last few (non-residential places) available in Track with Tony Geary and Improving RTR and Kits with Karl Crowther for our Autumn weekend from 4-6th October 2024.

https://www.mrmbookings.org.uk/

I'm happy to answer any questions by PM or alternatively use the contact form on our website.

https://www.missendenrailwaymodellers.org.uk/index.php/contact-us/

Chris H

• RMweb Gold

When will the detailed timetable be out for the upcoming weekend? I doubt it has changed much from my last attendance but I printed one-off for that and  did find it a handy reference especially for which bar and eating location we were at.

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, john new said:

When will the detailed timetable be out for the upcoming weekend? I doubt it has changed much from my last attendance but I printed one-off for that and  did find it a handy reference especially for which bar and eating location we were at.

John

I was told this afternoon it will be tomorrow when a few things are confirmed by the Abbey - coincidentally critical high level modelling matters relating to timing and location of food and drink.

Having said that it won't be very different from previous versions...

Chris

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I had a thoroughly enjoyable time too, learned how to use a bow pen (and that what I'd bought some years ago thinking it was a bow pen wasn't!). Got six carriage sides lined (seven if you include my practice piece which I will be cutting up and repainting at some point so no loss if I messed it up!).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I've now almost recovered after emptying the car of airbrushes, spray booths, compressors, paints etc here so are some photos from the weekend with a bit of a weathering bias.

Click on a very smiley Karl Crowther...

Missenden Railway Modellers Autumn Weekend 2024

ChrisH

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

There's more....

Bookings for the Spring 2025 Weekend have gone extremely well, most courses still have spaces but only non-residential places remain.

https://www.missendenrailwaymodellers.org.uk/index.php/spring-weekend-2022/

If you want to go on a waiting list for residental places this can be done via the main website. https://www.missendenrailwaymodellers.org.uk/index.php/contact-us/

ChrisH

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

There's more....

Bookings for the Spring 2025 Weekend have gone extremely well, most courses still have spaces but only non-residential places remain.

https://www.missendenrailwaymodellers.org.uk/index.php/spring-weekend-2022/

If you want to go on a waiting list for residental places this can be done via the main website. https://www.missendenrailwaymodellers.org.uk/index.php/contact-us/

ChrisH

Shame as I have missed out but glad to know sales have gone well. With a very elderly mother I daren’t book things too far ahead currently due to the possibilities of late notice cancellations.

Edited by john new
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Sometimes I can use my own projects for my weathering tutor sessions at Missenden.

I've been experimenting with 16t minerals after a course member asked for some guidance..

54051536962_478b880d63_c.jpg

54052408021_c49e3041f5_c.jpg

and my Cavalex 56 for Penmaenbach was another victim.....I may do a bit more to this..

54051536512_b2410f61a1_c.jpg

and my PI Victory will definitely be getting some additional work with pigments...

54052733324_75522fba03_c.jpg

ChrisH

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1