Ingleford Wharf: 1870s canalside inglenook on the "M&WJR" in 00, and Victoria Quay: a 1900s WIP in 0

Schooner

EM? Do it - you know it makes sense - go on - do it now ! 😵

Being slightly more practical, I have never regretted it, it gives a good standard to work to where pretty much everything seems to work. I mostly use Sharman or Gibson wheels, but Markits are also good. Old Romfords on secondhand kits work fine too, and some (whisper) even get away with using the RTR wheels, pushed out on their axles. It is a fairly forgiving standard but still looks right, in my view. Of course the same arguments can be had as in 00 - some people push out the B-T-B a little, and using only proper finescale wheels such as Gibson, they can then close up checkrail clearances etc. I am happy with the standard as it comes, for the reasons outlined above.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 27/08/2024 at 00:26, drduncan said:

If you’re going to use British finescale for the 4mm rebuild you may as well go EM… 

BF product is very good even if, as I did, you stick in humble OO (or its thinner "brother" OO-SF) avoiding the regauging issues.

Beyond that it becomes a question of what's important to you

•  purist or pragmatist?
  • What do you want to spend / allocate your available time doing?

Simple questions to which each has their own answer.

• Like 3

On 26/08/2024 at 13:04, Schooner said:

...will likely be focusing on Ingleford...

...oooor, y'know, getting home to find I'd bought m'sel another Slater's wagon when everyone was looking the other way...

20240828_005304.jpg.12c54c73b7e1ccec948460e5596c81d1.jpg

...again. I'd totally forgotten about the lube oil train: moar tank wagons!

Night all

• Like 8

16 hours ago, Barclay said:

Do it - you know it makes sense - go on - do it now ! 😵

Now, now now, or just now?! 

8 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:
  • purist or pragmatist?
  • What do you want to spend / allocate your available time doing?

Definitely not purist - happy to get absorbed in the things I find absorbing; happy to skip merrily past the things I find tedious...so not that pragmatic either. Lazy, that's it!

In hindsight, Ingleford Mk.I should've been EM (at least...!) but I lacked knowledge and the skillset even if I knew! That was, after all, the whole point of the layout - to have a go at a thing and to see what happened and how I felt about it all; to get an idea of what I want from the hobby.

EM is no longer less convenient than 00-SF in terms of track; and as all my stock ended up being kit-built it's no less convenient there either. Locos are another matter, but people manage so it must be possible :)

The real question is why not go P4?!

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

P4 is less forgiving than EM. You can just change the wheels to get something running in EM including for locos but P4 needs a new chassis with some sort of suspension be that springing or compensation. The EM gauge soc. has ready to lay track or you can build your own.

Regards Lez.  

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I think your approach to modelling will lend itself to modelling in EM. I tried EM in 2018 and have never looked back.

Given the prototype you model, you have to build everything,  it can't come out of a box. If it can be built in 00, it can be built in EM. I made the move because I started building etched kits and chassis so to build in a more prototype gauge made sense.  I was already building track. 

There is loads of support available from the likes of Gibson, Wizard models as well as the EM Society. 

Gibsons sell whole kits of parts though it is always worth buying spares of things like spacing washers and crank pins.

This type of view works better in EM.

20240803_142709.jpg.ad08815a11a4a22597ae9c9dd70d2bc2.jpg

Changing a wheel set can seem daunting but with practice it gets quicker.  This is my most recent conversion awaiting detailing, I'm now in the middle of a J15 conversion. 

20240818_160236.jpg.f5afdf9bad546f42b71d5f017ae65c86.jpg

• Like 12