Ingleford Wharf: 1870s canalside inglenook on the "M&WJR" in 00, and Victoria Quay: a 1900s WIP in 0

Schooner

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Schooner said:

*GWR intensifies (a little bit, but the Siphon is now functional*

Exotic axleboxes 🙂 Do they come with the kit?

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed they do. Fillament printed, like the roof which is simillarly suboptimal in some regards, but nice to have included in the very reasonable cost. I'm a big fan of the D3D kits, and I'm sure they'd take aftermarket 'super detailing' well; but I'm too ignorant to comment on their accuracy etc. But I wanted a little old Siphon, and it's plenty good enough for me for now :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No news I'm afraid (the ketch isn't even in frame yet, let alone getting planked up), but a request:

Any leads to visual references for standard gauge baulk road would be much appreciated. All images hotlinked here and (ir-)relevant would also be welcome, as ever :)

While in no rush it would be lovely to give the little grey cells something to mull over for the month or so until I'm back and able to do this stuff for myself!

Thank @magmouse and @Compound2632 for another simple 'micro' layout getting seriously out of hand. Woop woop!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Brixham station, - standard gauge Baulk Road track.

pw1VfSV.jpg

The tracks to and around the goods shed on the right hand side of the photo are standard gauge Baulk Road track.

CA3NNzc.jpg

Edited by Annie
added a picture
  • Like 12

For someone claiming to disavow broad gauge you’re certainly getting into its infrastructure legacy!

Cone on, you know it makes sense - GWR broad gauge is the way ahead….

Duncan

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, sir douglas said:

Devonport 1892 in the process of removing the BG

Tut tut good sir,  there are folk here who might suffer distress at such a sight as that.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, stevel said:

these might be of use, first one is Cirencester goods

3 hours ago, stevel said:

second is Perranwell goods

Brilliant photos, - thanks for these.  I could have done with that Perranwell one when I was attempting to build the Falmouth branch.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Annie said:

The tracks to and around the goods shed on the right hand side of the photo are standard gauge Baulk Road track.

CA3NNzc.jpg

Ah, what permanent way design happiness will have ensued in the design office when the operating department requested the alignment that runs from the bottom right hand corner to top left of that photo.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Fishplate said:

Ah, what permanent way design happiness will have ensued in the design office when the operating department requested the alignment that runs from the bottom right hand corner to top left of that photo.

I've been thinking for some time, you wouldn't get away with that on a model.

The whole layout's a mess - just left of centre there's a six-foot that comes down to about one foot.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Fishplate said:

Looking at the OS maps, it seems that a complete pig's ear was made of an earlier, rational, layout:

https://maps.nls.uk/view/128597587

https://maps.nls.uk/view/106003463

https://maps.nls.uk/view/106003466

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

it seems that a complete pig's ear was made of an earlier, rational, layout:

True, but very motivating for those of us trying to squeeze a lot into a very constrained site! The outside slip formation in the centre of the picture is just what I need for Basuto Quay...

Nick.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Looking at the OS maps, it seems that a complete pig's ear was made of an earlier, rational, layout:

https://maps.nls.uk/view/128597587

https://maps.nls.uk/view/106003463

https://maps.nls.uk/view/106003466

thank you for those links @Compound2632.

Looking at the difference between the 1890 map and the one from 1905, the MPD has expanded quite considerably within a land locked site. The track I referenced in my earlier post maintains direct access to the (larger?) turntable from the main lines. Presumably an operational necessity for an increased service without lots of back and forth on the revised 1905 layout, which would necessitate keeping some of the new MPD tracks free rather than used for stabling.

From what I can see/ assume, it is the difference between one direct move on and off the turntable from a main line versus three moves involving reverses, running line occupation and hand point operation. And signalling to suit.

Fascinating stuff.

• Like 6

18 hours ago, drduncan said:

For someone claiming to disavow broad gauge you’re certainly getting into its infrastructure legacy!

Ive got an interest in all sorts of unusual track so GW mixed gauge has fascinated me for years, especially where it gets really complicated at stations

• Like 4

8 hours ago, 37Oban said:

Ooh, lovely track work!  Now if I could find justification to build a version of this!

Roja

If only I had the space! Blow the justification!

D

• Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, drduncan said:

If only I had the space! Blow the justification!

D

I think that's the main reason for not building this!  Actually, after having another look at it, and some serious thought, a first for me, maybe some sort of layout using just the central section, could be possible!  I shall have to get the drawing pad out and have a doodle!  Just don't hold your breath waiting for results!

Roja

• Like 4

5 hours ago, 37Oban said:

I think that's the main reason for not building this!  Actually, after having another look at it, and some serious thought, a first for me, maybe some sort of layout using just the central section, could be possible!  I shall have to get the drawing pad out and have a doodle!  Just don't hold your breath waiting for results!

Roja

I investigated a model of the MPD at my home town. To 4mm scale, even in OO, it would have occupied the space I have managed to build an entire layout in. And there would have been nowhere for the locos to go. . . .

As I found out, the sheer size of the real thing isn't really appreciated until you try and fit a model into a domestic space. Enjoy @37Oban. It is this sort of 'spark' that makes modelling and research enjoyable.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1