Ingleford Wharf: 1870s canalside inglenook on the "M&WJR" in 00, and Victoria Quay: a 1900s WIP in 0

Schooner

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Schooner said:

Totem2.jpg.36ef39341c3ba31473423ae654a568ae.jpg

This one, IMHO - the first three look far too modern.

10 hours ago, Schooner said:

just as S&D doesn't always refer to the Stockton and Darlington...?

Good point, we need more layouts of the Southampton and Dorchester Railway...

• Round of applause 1

Wary of premature self-congratulation (shh, you) we'll see what the unveiling brings before making any judgements, but the first half of Slumpy Water appeared a success:

4.jpg.0c88583443225fc4aeafd15edb0baada.jpg

Still a noticeable difference in distance to the water between the New Wharf (with posts) and the Old Wharf (without). Interesting that the resin was obviously still settling slightly as it cured - as evidenced by the faint ripples.

So, this evening the idea was to do the same in the opposite direction, turning this

2.jpg.412ff165758174073dfb0e3d2fe3be35.jpg

into this

1.jpg.4472a04f9d2a2d5d3a81b3c0fb7115d5.jpg

...and we'll see what tomorrow brings.

As it may not be visible by then, depending on where the water level settles, it was interesting to note that the walling blew right along the Old Wharf:

3.jpg.ce78cc74fd75759d21df1f8cd1151d89.jpg

Edging is Wills Random Stone (the lowest course only), the walling itself is Wills Coarse Stone, both set into Sculptamold, which is over the foamboard base. 

I'm assuming it was the heat of the curing resin along the lower edge of the Wills sheet (useful to note, the full-depth walling around the bridge is absolutely fine), although it might simply have been the pressure of the resin, or some freelance chemistry. Moral of the story - don't try to save money by skimping on your walling product of choice!

Oh, before I forget [he says, having forgotten and editing this bit in] the other surprise was to find that the resin had wicked up the static grass (I'm blaming the the 1mm base layer) right the way up to - and into - the towpath. Did not expect that! Did expect to do some more static grassing of the bank once the resin is cured, however, to blend the reeds in a bit and soften the transition down to the water. So, no dramas really just worth keeping in mind for the future.

Once it's all cured (48+hrs; I'm resolved not to investigate until Saturday night at the earliest*) I'll have a look and see what's to be done to fix it whilst I'm painting the wall to match the waterline. The wall is South-facing (the operator is looking North), so as per the RHS below:

A_footbridge_over_the_Kennet_and_Avon_Ca

with a thin dark mucky line just about the water, and a lighter band just above that. Under the bridge on the layout will take more after the LHS above.

Edited by Schooner
*Obviously I'm going to have a peek before then, but you'll only hear about it if it's good news... :)
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

I kinda like the first one myself. So what are you doing is making a literacy symbol right? It's quite like the lose knot symbol, was it the North Staffs had? From a time most people couldn't read. It looks good.

Regards Lez.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

If the logo is going to be on only one plank, then put it on the bottom plank opposite the number.

But bigger, and central, is perhaps better? (not central on this wagon because of the centre door hinge, but in general)

Picture 2 of your last post is fun, but feels modern - a slightly playful working with the plank line.

Nick.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, lezz01 said:

So what are you doing is making a literacy symbol right?

Thought it might be fun...and easier than lettering :)

32 minutes ago, magmouse said:

If the logo is going to be on only one plank, then put it on the bottom plank opposite the number.

T1c.jpg.c84c0bb9f7aeaf7379a31330551fc349.jpg

T2b.jpg.7a3c17012a291623dbb23ca53dc0be8a.jpg

But bigger, and central, is perhaps better?

T1b.jpg.cea5813fb33d45d6c05a495a1594857e.jpg

Picture 2 of your last post is fun

See also the preceeding one - reflection about the plank line gives the M/W from the single bow shape :)

21 minutes ago, Dave John said:

If I was a signwriter I would put a symbol on 1 plank , not across two.

http://www.lnwrs.org.uk/Wagons/open/diag2.jpg

Why is it always that the best pics won't embed?!

diag9.jpg

710x528_1996532_1728509_1610910459_1_0.j

Although variety is the spice of life, they say...

lnwrcov4085.jpg

Edited by Schooner
The usuals
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Yep, my vote goes for that one.

Edit: No, my vote goes to that one. Yours, Ig Noramus

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

Yes I think I am with Annie and Mikkel if you are going to have a symbol.  The "scissors" one looks odd when put onto the wagon.   This one does trouble me a bit as to whether Victorian signwriters would have come up with such a thing in an era before graphic design, but it would not take very long to be painted onto the wagon, especially if not crossing the gap between the planks, and it is rooted in who the company is (unlike the LNWR's diamond or the LYR's symbol).

HTH.  

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Sorry, I'm late to the surface flatness conversation. To my mind what I saw in those photos was very convincing. Of course the ground level around the canal would settle and what might have been level brickwork to begin with may have undergone subsidence. Equally, the original brickwork might have been laid out of true.

The world isn't flat; certainly not P4 flat.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Can I be awkward and say that I prefer the first picture of batch two? 

The infilled bowtie looking logo would be easy to pick out in a goods yard.

And not too far from the LNWR diamond logos of a similar era.

Tony

• Agree 2