The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Records of Railway workers on Pre and Post BR ...

John40131

Not quite Model Railway related but if anyone can help I would be most grateful...

My father worked on the Railways during WW2 at Sheffield Midland and Chinley and Buxton, and as far as I understand he was a guard but I would love to find any records on what he did and when he joined etc, I was only about 3 or 4 when he left about 1950...

Are there any ex railway member who may know if you can access any records ...

Regards John

I was doing some research into my family history. My great uncle was a tram driver. The Mitchell library in Glasgow hold pension records for Glasgow tramways but they could only let me see the records if they were over 70 years old, or was it 80 years old Something to do with data protection i think. Presume railway staff records would be the same.

Not sure who holds the railway staff archives could be national records office.

• RMweb Gold

There are some Midland and  LMS records in the National Archives, available through Ancestry and similar sites. They are a bit hit and miss but a few of my railway relatives have turned up in them. 

If you send me his name and birth year I will see if it turns up. Occupations were also listed in the 1939 Register so if he was on the railway at the start of the war he could be on there.

Eric

Edited by TheSignalEngineer