1970's pre TOPS Diesels and Electrics

ianwales

Hi all

After the frustration of trying to get images into my blog with my limited computer skills I have decided to start a thread here which will hopefully lead on to the layout itself as it gets built very slowly, so to start the ball rolling here is a re-post of the loco photos from my chosen pre-TOPS era.

Class 47’s

The 2 Class 47’s are pictured outside the diesel depot on my embryo layout, the identities are D1664 and D1731, both are Bachmann machines sitting on the Sound chassis, the only difference being the chassis on 1664 has been modified to give independent tail lights operated from the decoder whereas 1731 is in standard configuration, 1664 has been photographed this way around to hide the fact the boiler port hasn’t been modified yet.

Class 37 – D6798

This is a Bachmann split headcode machine, fitted with a SWD Sound decoder and which has been backdated with a pre TOPS number and a alpha numeric headcode in the boxes. Although unlikely to be seen on tyhe Southern this far east I still want to do one of the Central Wales headlight fitted machines.

Ian

Independent Tail Lights on the 1664

A gentleman named Ken Macdonald who is a fellow memeber of DEMU, and who did the independent tail light conversion on my 47 has kindly given me permission to post this photo showing the wiring mods to a Bachmann Class 47 sound chassis.

Couple of things I should mention, bear in mind this is the sound chassis and I don't know how it would differ wiring wise from the non sound one, I also wanted the facility of havinfg the red lights at both ends on at the same time as happened sometimes when these locos were stabled and this wiring mod allows this.Also, I understand that the newer 47's have a slightly different wiring arrangement so maybe the mods required would be different. Ken subsequently contacted me with the text describing the procedure to make the tail lights work independently and has given me permission to post this as well.

Ian

Bachmann Class 47 – DCC Sound Function controlled tail lights.

The changes below are for use on the first issue Bachmann 47’s only. The latest 47 releases (with cab lighting) use a revised main circuit board.

This article, describes how to modify the wiring and re-map the function button settings, to allow independent tail-light control on the Sound fitted Bachmann Class 47.

The changes will also work on Non-sound DCC versions, but different CV settings will be required – depending on the decoder used.

Wiring Mods

• Carefully remove the bodyshell

• Remove the 21 pin sound decoder from the plug.

• Unsolder the Orange wires at both ends of the main circuit board at points marked A

• Carefully solder 2 new fine wires (Green & Purple in this instance) to the pin contacts as shown at point marked X on the 21pin plug.

• Using shrink-fit tubing, fit a 1K resistor in-line to each wire. Solder the other end of the new Green wire to the Orange wire at the speaker-end, and likewise the new Purple wire to the Orange wire at the opposite end.

• NB. The switch in the fuel tank can be left in situ, but must be ON for the mods to work. Alternatively, it can be removed completely and the wires joined.

• Replace the 21 pin sound decoder, ensuring no wires are trapped etc.

• Re-fit the bodyshell, ensuring no wiring is trapped at/under the cab floors etc.

Function Button Re-mapping.

• As supplied F0 to F10 are all in use.

• To use F11 & F12 for control of the tail lights:

• Set CV 210 to 8

• Set CV 213 to 4

• Original full directional lighting is retained provided F11 & F12 are switched on.

• The tail lights can now be switched independently from F0.

Function Button Re-mapping – Alternative

• Although more complicated, it is also possible to change the original Function button allocation to put tail light control on F7 & F8 this would then also match up with std SWD fitted locos. This will entail shifting the Shunt/Inertia and Accel functions onto F11 & F12

• Firstly clear F7 & F8 buttons as follows:

• Read CV’s 184 & 187 – they should both read 2

• Clear both to read 0

• Read CV’s 190 & 193 – they should both read 1

• Clear both to read 0

• Allocate tail lights to F7 & F8

• Set CV 186 to 8 - F7 controls No1 end tails.

• Set CV 189 to 4 - F8 controls No2 end tails.

• Re- map Shunt/Inertia mode to F11

• Set CV 208 to 2

• Set CV 211 to 2

• Re-map Accel mode to F12

• Set CV 214 to 1

• Set CV 217 to 1

• Original full directional lighting is retained provided F7 & F8 are switched on.

• The tail lights can now be switched independently from F0

• It is also possible to have tail lights only showing at both ends at the same time, for stabling use etc. To enable this for F7/F8, set the following additional CV’s:

• Set CV 183 to 8

Set CV 192 to 4

The tail lights will now be controlled solely by F7 & F8 - switching them on/off as required, regardless of the direction switch position. Markers and tails could now be ON together at the same end, if required.

© Ken MacDonald

tractor_37260

July 08

Following on from the diesel photos I thought I would just share some of the preliminary ideas on my embryo layout none of which follows is set in stone, or should that be baseboard, as anyone who knows me will testify to my frequent changes of direction, which explains that although the baseboards have been in place for about 7-8 years this is the 5th layout I have started.

What do I want from this layout? My main interest is timetable operation so I basically want a reliable, operationally interesting layout and set in the post steam pre TOPS diesel era The layout will be 4mm scale OO gauge using Peco code 75 track.

I like the area chosen, I live in West Wales.

Were the refineries built and operational around the time you are modelling?

Gulf came on stream in the mid-1960s, IIRC, whilst Herbranston was even earlier. Earliest of all was Llandarcy, built just after WW1. The period Ian's modelling is about the time I'd have been watching the trains around Llanelli. The passenger service at the time was pretty thin, with two-hour gaps at some points, but there would have been about half-a-dozen or more freights in each direction during daylight hours, and yet more at night.

Hi all

I took advantage of my family being away this weekend to do some tracklaying.

A couple of photos showing the first part completed which is the an 8 road storage yard representing destinations for traffic Eastern Kent, Currently under the working name of Ramsgate Yard.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

The latest arrival on the workbench is a Hornby class 121 single unit,

this will have to be backdated for my late 60’s early 70’s time period, on order is a express models lighting kit and a sound decoder for this unit. , it will be eventually finished in plain blue with a small yellow panel with white roof domes as per the photo, courtesy of Bob Masterman, although unfortunately I haven’t been able to find the identity of this unit yet.

A couple of queries to help the project along.

1. Is there a way of removing the destinations printed on the centre windscreen without damaging the glazing ?

Try using a little T-Cut on a cotton bud. A very light scraping with the edge of a hobby knife/blade first will speed it up - any minor scratches should come out after with the T-Cut. Test first on a part of the glazing that's not seen, just in case it "clouds" but it worked fine for me on other Bach headcode glazing panels etc.

HTH

Ken

• 1 month later...

Hi all

Well, it has happened again, Years of helping Paul Wade on Tonbridge West Yard and Family Holidays several years running to Portsmouth have finally taken their toll and I have succumbed to a trio of Bachmann CEP units, now, even I am bright enough to realise that 3rd rail territory never reached South Wales so my layout location was going to have to move. So where does the layout stand now, well, the storage yard is all laid and wired for running and this now constitutes Stage 1, I have modified my posts on this thread to reflect the changes and stage 2 is being planned at the moment, when I am satisfied that I will acheive what I want I'll post a modified scheme and the next bit of the plan.

Ian

Hello Ian,

Nice to see work progressing. Is there an IECC or traditional panel for this one?

Craig

Hi Craig

Strictly push buttons and diodes, more NX than SSI, how are things the Cornish end of Network Rail, Is it as frustrating as the Welsh end!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Strictly push buttons and diodes, more NX than SSI,

I should hope so. Kent Coast electrification saw a whole lot of resignalling, but this was before integrated circuits had been invented - let alone SSI! NX Panels with magazine describers, please! Of course there was no major revision to signalling east of Faversham or Ashford, so lever frames and semaphores are also entirely appropriate.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All

Now the school holidays are out of the way I can start to make a bit of progress on the Kent Coast lines and as promised here is a revised schematic plan of what I am going to try and achieve.

It looks a bit on the complicated side, but, this is because I want to basically satisfy two things which I have always wanted in a layout namely a decent length of run and prototypical timetable operation. the plan will give a train running from Ashford yard through Priory to Ramsgate yard a run of approx 95Ft. I envisage trains will run from Ramsgate via Priory to either Ashford or Marine as dictated by the timetable, the only slight problem I had was how to include the trains which went from Dover Marine in the Ashford direction which didn't appear at Priory hence the West Spur which will allow these trains to depart Marine direct to Ramsgate storage yard, I suppose in theory a train could have travelled via Ashford to Ramsgate as there were enough connecting lines on the prototype that a train from Marine to Ramsgate yard isn't too far fetched!

Ian

• RMweb Gold

I envisage trains will run from Ramsgate via Priory to either Ashford or Marine as dictated by the timetable, the only slight problem I had was how to include the trains which went from Dover Marine in the Ashford direction which didn't appear at Priory hence the West Spur which will allow these trains to depart Marine direct to Ramsgate storage yard, I suppose in theory a train could have travelled via Ashford to Ramsgate as there were enough connecting lines on the prototype that a train from Marine to Ramsgate yard isn't too far fetched!

Don't worry too much re the route from Marine up the South Eastern side via Ashford. While that was a regular route - it was generally only for boat trains. I am unclear whether there was ever a regular domestic electric service over this side of the triangle. Indeed, the original Kent Coast WTT terminated the Chatham side services at Priory. I think it was only in the '70s that the then re-named Western Docks station had a regular service of domestic trains at all - no doubt those with better memories will tell me!

Don't worry too much re the route from Marine up the South Eastern side via Ashford. While that was a regular route - it was generally only for boat trains. I am unclear whether there was ever a regular domestic electric service over this side of the triangle. Indeed, the original Kent Coast WTT terminated the Chatham side services at Priory. I think it was only in the '70s that the then re-named Western Docks station had a regular service of domestic trains at all - no doubt those with better memories will tell me!

Thanks Oldddudders

I was looking at a early 70#s WTT and this shows a few trains, as you say probably boat trains, along with a couple of non advertised staff trains which ran into Marine direct from the Asford direction, the west spur will allow me to run these trains in my timetable as well.

I remember jumping on a boat train at Victoria on my only trip to Dover which ran non stop via Ashford ,but, very frustratingly found my self going round the top of the triangle to terminate at Priory, had to wait for a connection then to Western Docks. happy days.

Ian

Hi all

Looking at the traffic that will be required for this layout, other than the Hornby BR Ferry van, are there any other Ferry wagons aviailable in 4mm scale suitible for the early 70's pre TOPS era as I think the Heljan Cargowaggons are from the mid to late 80's?

Ian

• 2 years later...

Independent Tail Lights on the 1664

A gentleman named Ken Macdonald who is a fellow memeber of DEMU, and who did the independent tail light conversion on my 47 has kindly given me permission to post this photo showing the wiring mods to a Bachmann Class 47 sound chassis.

attachicon.gifDSCF2039_edited-1a.jpg

Couple of things I should mention, bear in mind this is the sound chassis and I don't know how it would differ wiring wise from the non sound one, I also wanted the facility of havinfg the red lights at both ends on at the same time as happened sometimes when these locos were stabled and this wiring mod allows this.Also, I understand that the newer 47's have a slightly different wiring arrangement so maybe the mods required would be different. Ken subsequently contacted me with the text describing the procedure to make the tail lights work independently and has given me permission to post this as well.

Ian

Bachmann Class 47 – DCC Sound Function controlled tail lights.

The changes below are for use on the first issue Bachmann 47’s only. The latest 47 releases (with cab lighting) use a revised main circuit board.

This article, describes how to modify the wiring and re-map the function button settings, to allow independent tail-light control on the Sound fitted Bachmann Class 47.

The changes will also work on Non-sound DCC versions, but different CV settings will be required – depending on the decoder used.

Wiring Mods

• Carefully remove the bodyshell

• Remove the 21 pin sound decoder from the plug.

• Unsolder the Orange wires at both ends of the main circuit board at points marked A

• Carefully solder 2 new fine wires (Green & Purple in this instance) to the pin contacts as shown at point marked X on the 21pin plug.

• Using shrink-fit tubing, fit a 1K resistor in-line to each wire. Solder the other end of the new Green wire to the Orange wire at the speaker-end, and likewise the new Purple wire to the Orange wire at the opposite end.

• NB. The switch in the fuel tank can be left in situ, but must be ON for the mods to work. Alternatively, it can be removed completely and the wires joined.

• Replace the 21 pin sound decoder, ensuring no wires are trapped etc.

• Re-fit the bodyshell, ensuring no wiring is trapped at/under the cab floors etc.

Function Button Re-mapping.

• As supplied F0 to F10 are all in use.

• To use F11 & F12 for control of the tail lights:

• Set CV 210 to 8

• Set CV 213 to 4

• Original full directional lighting is retained provided F11 & F12 are switched on.

• The tail lights can now be switched independently from F0.

Function Button Re-mapping – Alternative

• Although more complicated, it is also possible to change the original Function button allocation to put tail light control on F7 & F8 this would then also match up with std SWD fitted locos. This will entail shifting the Shunt/Inertia and Accel functions onto F11 & F12

• Firstly clear F7 & F8 buttons as follows:

• Read CV’s 184 & 187 – they should both read 2

• Clear both to read 0

• Read CV’s 190 & 193 – they should both read 1

• Clear both to read 0

• Allocate tail lights to F7 & F8

• Set CV 186 to 8 - F7 controls No1 end tails.

• Set CV 189 to 4 - F8 controls No2 end tails.

• Re- map Shunt/Inertia mode to F11

• Set CV 208 to 2

• Set CV 211 to 2

• Re-map Accel mode to F12

• Set CV 214 to 1

• Set CV 217 to 1

• Original full directional lighting is retained provided F7 & F8 are switched on.

• The tail lights can now be switched independently from F0

• It is also possible to have tail lights only showing at both ends at the same time, for stabling use etc. To enable this for F7/F8, set the following additional CV’s:

• Set CV 183 to 8

Set CV 192 to 4

The tail lights will now be controlled solely by F7 & F8 - switching them on/off as required, regardless of the direction switch position. Markers and tails could now be ON together at the same end, if required.

© Ken MacDonald

tractor_37260

July 08

Hi, Has anyone done this mod to the newer PCB as fitted to 47535 University of Leicester?

Ian

Archived