The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

FlightRadar24 tracking spooks?

The Johnster

23 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Most of the flights have been taking people south.

Less common are the flights taking people north, like this one:

https://www.flightradar24.com/RCH1016/28f463cf

That may be the best way to get smaller aircraft, like that Pilatus U28A (a military PC12) out of the country.

(edit: That U28A refuelled at Baku, before setting off again westwards into Turkish airspace…and then turned south and landed in Iraq ! )

As you say, not many flights have been visible, flying in or out from the north, but they have been occurring every day.

Late last night two C17's flew in to Kabul from Germany, arriving via Turkmenistan.

Presumably, Georgia would have flown its troops out that way?

(note: In recent times, Georgia had a bigger military presence in Afghanistan than the UK.)

IIRC, the Polish AF flew in and out this way too.

Some civil registered airliners have also been seen flying in and out from the north.

An old B727-200 freighter conversion (5Y-IRE), operated by Safe Air (no sniggering at the back)  carried out a few flights into Kabul from Kulob in Tajikistan the other day and I saw a couple of old B737's (belonging to small operators in the former Soviet 'Stans) going in.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron

Looks like some more of our folk are on the next leg homeward. Heading for Cyprus?

RAF C-17A

https://www.flightradar24.com/RRR6465/28f4830b

RAF Airbus A400M

https://www.flightradar24.com/RRR4135/28f482ae

Meanwhile, that mysterious "JetRanger" looks like it's heading back to Malta.

https://www.flightradar24.com/GRB196/28f4522f

2 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Could be a hit squad on "false plates". Seems to have done a few flights from Malta to the Kulob area of Tajikistan recently., usually reaching about 14000 metres altitude according to another site.

The plot thickens. It's now heading towards Benghazi, Libya. Any idea who is based there these days?

https://www.flightradar24.com/GRB196/28f4522f

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

The plot thickens. It's now heading towards Benghazi, Libya. Any idea who is based there these days?

Certainly suspicious. Apparently spurious ID travelling from a country with worries about its reputation in regard to Italian criminals and money laundering flies to a country with links to Afghan drug exports then on to a country with alleged long standing terrorist links. 

Of course there's always the possibility that it's a CIA-organised 'diplomatic' mission.

• RMweb Gold

GRB is the ICAO code for Pheonix Air.  They have a fleet of Business Jets and some old turboprops.  Mainly a charter operator but do have contracts with the US military.  The aircraft is actually Gulfstream III N196PA, which should be using ModeS hex code A17FBB rather than A17FBA.

The miscoding of transponders is quite common.  They are programmed prior to fit by setting 24 dip switches to either a 1 or 0.  I'm sure you can appreciate that making an error is not that difficult.

FR24 is actually well behind the drag curve with this one anyway, as Bell 206 c/n 4288 which was N196P is now VH-FCD, having moved countries 2 months ago.

Steve

Edited by 55020
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

25 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Anyone seen Jonster since he started this topic?

:triniti:

Do we need to send a rescue mission? :help:

44 minutes ago, 55020 said:

GRB is the ICAO code for Pheonix Air. 

@55020

Good info, thanks. Just wondering where to lookup things like that?

I tried here: https://airlinecodes.info/icao/G

But GRB isn't mentioned.

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, 55020 said:

GRB is the ICAO code for Pheonix Air. 

The plot thickens. 

Phoenix Air used to have a plane with this number but it was de-registered in 2017.

The number was later reallocated (2019) to another Gulfstream owned by a company called Sandy Wings LLC of Wilmington, Delaware. Researching this company leads to an accommodation address in a block of serviced offices.

Details from aviationdb.net

• RMweb Gold

The other day I tracked a US registerd Boeing Business Jet, took off from Jordan, south down the gulf of Aqaba, over Egypt, then went up the med, by passing Israel, turned east over Syria, across Iraq into the gulf, over Pakistan and into Kabul.

Whoever was in that plane was persona non-grata in Israel and Saudi Arabia to take that route.. I can only assume that was the CIA acting as an Uber for someone in the Taliban.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Crazy days.

I've flown over Afghanistan quite a few times on our way from London to Bangkok. Once on Qantas 002  over the Hindu Kush with a 200mph tailwind , indicated ground (or was it air)  speed was well over 1000 km/hr but the ride was as smooth as silk (747-400).

Perhaps never again (certainly not on a 747).

Ah well.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 55020 said:

......................Pheonix Air.  They have a fleet of Business Jets and some old turboprops.  Mainly a charter operator but do have contracts with the US military

Phoenix Air sounds much more interesting. Not only do they have capability of casualty, mdical emergency or infectious diseases patient transport, moving explosives by air and airborne communications they have fitted two Gulfstream G-1 planes to be capable of launching drone weapons. 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Do we need to send a rescue mission? :help:

@55020

Good info, thanks. Just wondering where to lookup things like that?

I tried here: https://airlinecodes.info/icao/G

But GRB isn't mentioned.

Official listings are hard to find.  ICAO would like you to spend a lot of money purchasing their listings!

I got the info from an enthusiasts database that I subscribe to.  It's also where I found the details of the ModeS miscode for G.III N196PA..

Steve

Edited by 55020

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

The plot thickens. 

Phoenix Air used to have a plane with this number but it was de-registered in 2017.

The number was later reallocated (2019) to another Gulfstream owned by a company called Sandy Wings LLC of Wilmington, Delaware. Researching this company leads to an accommodation address in a block of serviced offices.

Details from aviationdb.net

Pheonix are an interesting company.  When I visited their base at Cartersville, GA they were very sensitive about folk hanging around!

Wilmington, Delaware probably has more aircraft registered there than anywhere else.  It's because local legislation allows business to effectively hide ownership of aircraft through a "Trust" company.  I suspect Sandy Wings is one such trust!  Or it might just be a simple leasing company. 

https://www.delawaretrust.com/aircraft-owner-trusts/

There is no doubt that N196PA is operated by Pheonix, along with Gulfstreams 163, 164, 165, 170, 171, 173, 184, 185, 186, 189, 190, 192, 193, 197, 198.  All in the same NxxxPA sequence.

Steve

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, APOLLO said:

Sad times over there.

Brit15

Yes indeed, and I am sure we are not party to everything the Americans are doing, for sound operational reasons.  That there is additional activity is shown by the drone strikes to take out IS-K personell and, today, to prevent a further attack at the airport.  One does get the impression though that this air operation is much more orderly and organised than the rout of the final days in Saigon, and it is clearly not without it's dangers.  Those C-17s are big things to handle on the approach to Kabul's power dive drop into the valley, and the presence of people on the ground who would love to take them out must add a level of apprehension.  But the MOOSE regular interval bus service is running without hitch, and hopefully will continue to do so to the last minute.  One has to respect the skill, committment, and professionalism of the pilots and crews involved, and by now some of them must be pretty exhausted; Stratotankers, too!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

The other day I tracked a US registerd Boeing Business Jet, took off from Jordan, south down the gulf of Aqaba, over Egypt, then went up the med, by passing Israel, turned east over Syria, across Iraq into the gulf, over Pakistan and into Kabul.

Whoever was in that plane was persona non-grata in Israel and Saudi Arabia to take that route.. I can only assume that was the CIA acting as an Uber for someone in the Taliban.

I saw a similar track the other day, on the same round about routing.

It might have been the same one?

There's certainly a number of "interesting" flights taking place.

There have been a number of military transport flights, in and out of Amman in the last few days, flown by various ISAF air forces, including the RAF.

Yesterday and today, I've seen a small number of special operations MC130's, heading in either direction along the Gulf, presumably routing to and from Afghanistan airspace.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Anyone seen Johnster since he started this topic?

:triniti:

I was abducted last night by the Men In Black and hustled away in a black SUV with mirrored windows:keeporder: then driven, blindfolded, presumably to a US airbase on British soil. the journey time suggesting eastern England, and held in a detention facility for 12 hours or so in a sensory deprivated environment (I live in innercity Cardiff, so am used to this).   Given an orange Guantanamo jump suit, I am currently aboard a plain white 737 and have no idea where I am heading; probably Area 51 or Roswell.  Any post purporting to be from me will be from a source with access to my terminal and account run by an American Government organisation. 

Never trust the government...:help:, any government.

Tell my 94xx I loved it!

• Funny 10

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

I was abducted last night by the Men In Black and hustled away in a black SUV with mirrored windows:keeporder: then driven, blindfolded, presumably to a US airbase on British soil. the journey time suggesting eastern England, and held in a detention facility for 12 hours or so in a sensory deprivated environment (I live in innercity Cardiff, so am used to this).   Given an orange Guantanamo jump suit, I am currently aboard a plain white 737 and have no idea where I am heading; probably Area 51 or Roswell.  Any post purporting to be from me will be from a source with access to my terminal and account run by an American Government organisation. 

Never trust the government...:help:, any government.

Tell my 94xx I loved it!

You had me until you mentioned a white 737, everyone knows it's Gulfstreams for renditions, and how have you access to the internet aboard the plane with your hands in chains and with the hood on.

• Funny 3

10 hours ago, woodenhead said:

You had me until you mentioned a white 737, everyone knows it's Gulfstreams for renditions, and how have you access to the internet aboard the plane with your hands in chains and with the hood on.

Ron Ron Ron (RRR) is secretly one of the elite RMWeb Rapid Response Reconnaisance (RRRR) team members. Code name RRRR-RRR (his friends call him Pirate). He's equipped with all the latest high-tech gadgets, like a tiny internet modem in the heel of his shoe. His guards think he's got a twitchy leg, actually he's typing his message in morse code.

• Funny 3

Kam Air had said they intent moving some of their aircraft to Iran

https://simpleflying.com/kam-air-moves-planes-iran/

One is still on the ground at Mazar-i-Sharif (Airbus A340)

https://www.flightradar24.com/KMF4465/28f6e2e1

Simple Flying also gives an account of one refugee flight to Birmingham that ended with one more passenger than it started with.

https://simpleflying.com/afghan-evacuation-baby-born/

K3281, a flight operated by a Boeing 777-300ER registered TC-JJV, departed Dubai at 04:55 local time bound for Birmingham in the UK. However, while cruising at 33,000 feet (10,000 meters), a woman went into labor, giving birth in the air, over Kuwaiti airspace. Turkish Airlines said in a statement that a woman gave birth to a baby girl with assistance from the cabin crew. According to Reuters, the mother was 26-year-old Soman Noori. Anadolu Agency adds that the girl was named Havva, which translates to Eve but is also a variation on the Turkish word for ‘air,’ which is ‘hava’. Reports indicate that both mother and daughter are in good health. The special evacuation flight was carrying Afghan citizens who had worked with Britain in Afghanistan.

49 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Kam Air had said they intent moving some of their aircraft to Iran

https://simpleflying.com/kam-air-moves-planes-iran/

Simple Flying also gives an account of one refugee flight to Birmingham that ended with one more passenger than it started with.

https://simpleflying.com/afghan-evacuation-baby-born/

One more than the flight started with, would imply a remarkably rapid gestation time.....    Perhaps another?.....   :angel:    :jester:

• Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, KeithMacdonald said:

I saw that one (YA-KMH), on FR24, flying into Afghanistan from Mashhad, in NE Iran, a few days ago.

IIRC, it was holding for a while near Kabul.

When I looked back at the site again, it had gone, presumably landed.

Looking back at the replays, it eventually went to Mazar-i- Sharif, where another Kam Air A340 (YR-KMU) had landed earlier, having flown in via Iranian airspace, from the Al Udeid military air base, just outside Doha, Qatar; a major base for the American forces involved at the moment.

Later on, a Kam Air B737-300 (YA-KML) flew into Mazar-i-Sharif from Kiev on Saturday morning, followed by a UN operated Beech 1900 from Islamabad.

Turkish forces were withdrawn via nearby Islamabad in Pakistan, over several days.

Quite a number of their C130’s and A400’s flew westwards, right across Afghanistan and through Iranian airspace.

Like other military aircraft, they went blank on FR24, whilst crossing Afghan airspace, but could be clearly seen either side in Pakistan and Iranian airspace.

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, woodenhead said:

@The Johnster was a bit confused by too much Brains last night. He was actually picked up by the Cathays Company of the Orange Army. They were in a Canton 37/4 captured in a raid last week and needed a guard for the ballast train they were going to hijack.

• Funny 3