Mark 2b, By Accurascale and IRM!

• Tempfix
On 01/03/2024 at 09:26, dj_crisp said:

The lower white stripe does look quite thin though... Will make a mixes rake look a bit odd

Hadn't spotted that yet. Not sure it will leap out at me in a mixed rake (not had a chance to assemble one yet as my son has taken over the room to build his layout!).

One other thing that I only spotted looking back at the picture, the 2b has the cantrail line on the gutter, the 2a has it just beneath. Hopefully someone with better eyes than me can suggest which is more correct.

Thanks

Rich

My 2bs have arrived . Wow! Lighting looks great on them. Detail is amazing. Coupling options are fantastic.

Really sets the standard for all future coaches. It shows what can be done with care, attention and a focus on getting things right.

I went for blue/ grey, to remind me of excursions I used to go on with my dad. Absolutely thrilled.

Cant wait for my 50s to arrive to pull them.

Thankyou accurascale.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Ok I just received my BR MK2b ex fk 19486 very nice model. Comes with a wand unlike the nuclear wagon I got. Gave it a wave with the wand nothing , opened it up thinking needs batteries like the nuclear wagons did. Seems there’s two fitted. So the question is where do you wave it over incase I missed it? Top sides end none seem to work. The batteries might be dead but the soldering is very suspect to snapping! And should the copper prongs be hovering over the second set of pads under the false ceiling? 

IMG_2521.jpeg

25 minutes ago, Rich Papper said:

Hadn't spotted that yet. Not sure it will leap out at me in a mixed rake (not had a chance to assemble one yet as my son has taken over the room to build his layout!).

One other thing that I only spotted looking back at the picture, the 2b has the cantrail line on the gutter, the 2a has it just beneath. Hopefully someone with better eyes than me can suggest which is more correct.

Thanks

Rich

Photos like this one from Nic Joynson on Flickr suggests that there was variation on the prototype too:

An Illustrious start away from Yeovil

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, farren said:

Ok I just received my BR MK2b ex fk 19486 very nice model. Comes with a wand unlike the nuclear wagon I got. Gave it a wave with the wand nothing , opened it up thinking needs batteries like the nuclear wagons did. Seems there’s two fitted. So the question is where do you wave it over incase I missed it? Top sides end none seem to work. The batteries might be dead but the soldering is very suspect to snapping! And should the copper prongs be hovering over the second set of pads under the false ceiling? 

IMG_2521.jpeg

Batteries? I thought these picked up power from the track?

• Like 2

The 'batteries' are stay alives. My understanding is they pick up from the track. 

If you look in the documentation, it tells you where to wave the wand to turn the lights on and off.

Edited by LNERandBR
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I thought they had gone to batteries, for some reason 

yea I found the little diagram with the showing how to wave the wand 

tell you what they don’t half work better with some power from the tack!  

I’ll get me coat. 

Edited by farren
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 3

33 minutes ago, Rich Papper said:

Thanks

Rich

I thought they were mostly painted on the cantrail but i haven't researched NSE mk2s that much as I've been kinda waiting for the mk2b and mk2cs to arrive so I can have a bash when they're all together. However I've always felt the cantrails should line up. I dont think Bachmann have ever nailed the ride height of their 2a so I'm looking forward to seeing how these all sit together.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

If you look in the documentation, it tells you where to wave the wand to turn the lights on and off.

Harry Potter fans might like to say "Lumos" at the same time 😉

• Funny 7

1 hour ago, dj_crisp said:

. However I've always felt the cantrails should line up. 

I drive four car multiple units and their cantrails often don’t line up even within the same set. It’s most noticeable when one vehicle has had a bogie change with a new wheel set 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

20 minutes ago, AndrewB7585 said:

I drive four car multiple units and their cantrails often don’t line up even within the same set. It’s most noticeable when one vehicle has had a bogie change with a new wheel set 

Very true 😊 but then the bottom of the coach or roof shouldn't line up 😉

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Delighted with my Accurascale Mk2b BFK which arrived today.  For now it will run with a Bachmann Mk2f RFB and some Hornby Mk2e coaches, until my new rake of Mk2c vehicles arrives from Accurascale later in the year.

IMG20240302135034

Edited by cessna152towser
grammar
  • Like 8

Finally got round to unboxing my BR Mk2b delivery yesterday and after comparison I take back what I said about Bachmann's Mk2a baboon's bum.  Whilst the level of detail on the Accurascale 2bs is next level, with the sliders picked out in aluminium and the interior being painted for example, I think with a little modelling it might just be possible to mix the 2b and Bachmann 2a coaches without them looking too odd.  Adding some paint to the interior of the 2a coaches, and a battery reed-switch lighting rig to allow lighting (something I've tried successfully on some other non-lit coaches) should allow them to work alongside the Accurascale coaches, the shades of rail blue do differ slightly but in real life you got some variation depending on outshopping dates and with slight weathering will look fine.

So, if you were wondering about mixing the two fleets it shouldn't be too bad if you paint the interiors of the 2a coaches and consider lighting.  Once moving I suspect you won't notice the differences so much.

There again if Accurascale want to do the whole Mk2 design story to a consistent standard bring 'em on, I can always flog my Bachy Mk2's.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 01/03/2024 at 09:26, dj_crisp said:

Thanks Rich for the shots. I had fun with NSE white while messing about with Bachmann DMUs where they've switch to basically pure white. I'm not entirely sure it should be pure white but I think it looks better than the NSE off white from railmatch or precision.

The lower white stripe does look quite thin though... Will make a mixes rake look a bit odd

Hi Will,

Pic of real Mark 2a we used for inspiration of livery including lower white stripe.

IMG_1152.jpeg.c113cd5a5be376de203f4b5fec0747d6.jpeg

According to actual livery diagram it is just 50mm or 0.656mm in OO.

Cheers!

Fran

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 3

7 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Will,

Pic of real Mark 2b we used for inspiration of livery including lower white stripe.

IMG_1152.jpeg.c113cd5a5be376de203f4b5fec0747d6.jpeg

According to actual livery diagram it is just 50mm or 0.656mm in OO.

Cheers!

Fran

That is a 2a. 😃

Mark

• Agree 2
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Mark said:

That is a 2a. 😃

Mark

Easily done! I can just about spot the difference between a 2a and 2b but I still struggle with the 2d-f range!

It shouldn't matter livery wise though. And I appreciate there's a tolerance in printing.... I know with my cut n shut projects ;)

• Tempfix

There’s also quite a variation depending on where and when things were painted, and sometimes what they worked with. Several hybrid NSE DMUs had unusual stripe positioning for their class as they were paired with a vehicle of a different class and the height of the windows or door furniture on their partner dictated a difference. 

Rich

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Mark said:

That is a 2a. 😃

Mark

I should’ve seen the door in the middle, and it’s why I usually stay off RMWeb on Saturday evenings after some refreshments are taken on board 🤣.

It does demonstrate the position of the white stripe however, and while we see some variations in NSE livery, we found in research that our position was the most consistent and in line with the coaches we have modelled.

On the cantrail stripe, all our research on 2b coaches showed them on the gutter, so replicated on our models. It may have been different on 2a coaches, but for 2b as modelled it’s correct.

As for a Mk2c FK in Trans-Pennine livery, 

all but a single example of the Mk.2c FK in Trans-Pennine livery were the earlier phase with the large toilet window. If anyone has a picture of late-phase 13532 with the small toilet window in the Provincial scheme we'd love to see it!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Boy or Girl.....well done let us be the first to congratulate.....:)

well - the next plus one generation of railway modelers arrived a few weeks before my Mark 2b coaches. And they were a bit early as it frequently happens with twins... boys by the way.

toby & elliot.jpg

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 4
  • Friendly/supportive 8

My box of 10 Mark 2b in Blue Grey arrived this week, though I have not unwrapped them, as we might be moving house soon (if anyone buys our current residence....).

I hope to be able to run them with Bachmann 2a stock on my planned WR layout in due course, and I note the comments about getting them to match one another.

My order was originally placed with Hattons, and when I received the sad news of their closure, I contacted Accurascale who were able to seamlessly fulfil my order; many thanks Accurascale!

Just waiting for a few Mark 2c to arrive now....

• Like 5