Accurascale to produce 'heavy' 37714 for the Heavy Tractor Group.

My Heavy Tractor Group class 37 number 37714 finally arrived last weekend from Accurascale after a year of waiting, but well worth the wait - a fantastic model! The level of detail, especially on the bogies, is stunning. When I ordered back in July last year I'd envisaged a collection of display models, not a layout, so I ordered it DCC ready. That intention changed completely last winter when I "got the bug", since when I've been immersed in learning, planning, buying and converting a bedroom into a layout room! Yesterday I upgraded the 37 to DCC with sound using the Accurascale speaker, clips and decoder I bought back in March, a fiddly job and my first time doing something like this.  

Only one problem - in trying several ways to route the wires I clumsily removed one of the tiny PCB plugs once too often and the socket broke away from the circuit board. It's the 3-wire one that goes to the "B" end of the loco, you can see it bottom right of the photo. Now, I expected something to not work when I tested all the functions afterwards - but everything seems to be working fine! All of the lights, on the loco ends, and in the cab and engine room work as they should in both directions. I've not found anything, light or sound, that doesn't work. I'd assumed that the 3-wire connectors by the decoder connected to lights of some sort at each end - but seems not. 

So my question is - does anyone know what each of the connectors goes to, specifically the 3-wire ones? One possibility I thought of is maybe there's a sensor in each bogie that allows the decoder to produce flange squeal sounds when the bogie moves left or right.  Maybe @Accurascale Fran has some insight !

IMG_8743.jpeg

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @hopbackguy,

If you can email support@accurascale.com with those photos Simon will be able to help!

Cheers!

Fran 

Thank you Fran, I already did that too.. It is indeed the lead from the bogie Hall sensor. I now also know what the 5 and 2 pin leads do for each end of the loco.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, AussieEE said:

Mine arrived safely down under, I think this is my favourite accurascale model so far, cant wait to come over to the UK next year and see the real deal.

20240725_115426.jpg

Let us know when you are coming over, we see if the loco will be in service when you come over 👍🏻

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

Mine arrived yesterday, I actually rode behind the actual loco a couple of years back, which inspired my purchase.

The sound is astounding, I could not note any difference with the actual loco. A lot of DCC functions, many I have yet to explore.

The definitive 37 in my collection.

Class37_01.jpg

Class37_02.jpg

• Like 9
  • Agree 1

I have found the paint and some of the transfers have come off a bit too easily when weathered, so I have varnished around these areas. Also of note anyone modelling 37714 in late 80s condition, there is a small "CF" depot sticker missing but is easily sourced from Railtec or I have a few spares if anyone needs a couple.

Also how has everyone weathered the roof fans if at all? 

NL

Edited by NickL2008

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, NickL2008 said:

I've cut the plastic webbing and fan out from below to weather the fan, and then stick back in place with electrical tape! It's a drastic step but I thought I'd make less of a hash of it than dare trying to peel back the beautiful etched grille in the roof above!

Cheers,

James

• Informative/Useful 1

26 minutes ago, James Makin said:

I've cut the plastic webbing and fan out from below to weather the fan, and then stick back in place with electrical tape! It's a drastic step but I thought I'd make less of a hash of it than dare trying to peel back the beautiful etched grille in the roof above!

Cheers,

James

Thanks James, I did also think of anyone would know, you would, some precision cuts will be needed then by sounds of it

NL

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

I have found the paint and some of the transfers have come off a bit too easily when weathered, so I have varnished around these areas. Also of note anyone modelling 37714 in late 80s condition, there is a small "CF" depot sticker missing but is easily sourced from Railtec or I have a few spares if anyone needs a couple.

NL

I sprayed darkened roof dirt through the grille from above.

Edited by 97406

5 hours ago, 97406 said:

I sprayed darkened roof dirt through the grille from above.

I did try that, but having got the fan out now, it looks ok, but now I can repaint and weather it properly

NL

• 2 weeks later...