Where to buy lathe tools?

Just recently bought an included blade parting-off tool off e-bay, only for the seller to cancel and refund me, as he says they have been causing problems.

Where do other small lathe users buy their tools?

There are many model engineering suppliers, Tracy Tools, Chronos Tools, Axminster Tools, etc., Tracy should be able to supply over the phone, give them the centre height and capacity and model, they are a very helpful company.

I am assuming you really mean inserted? an included one would be a welded tungsten end on a steel holder.

Some of the smaller FE and Indian insert blade holders have given troubles, the blade was secure but not vertical, so that one side had no clearance without corrective grinding. The blades taper from wide at top, to a narrow bottom with the bottom edge at an angle to fit the groove in the tool holder. When perfectly mounted each side of the taper clears the work cutting line approximately equally. The front edge you grind yourself to a rake to suit the material.

Whoever supplies them check the clearances on each side of the standard blade, if unsure what I mean I can explain more if you like. They can be checked on a good flat surface with a check square and magnifying glass.

Stephen.

post-6750-127619237299_thumb.jpg

The drawing shows the fitting on the side held ( and single bar) versions, the troubles they had is the the grove the blade sits in , it was not angled to match the blade, but was at right angles, which held the blade but vertically at the side touching the holder, quite incorrect.

Stephen.

Yes, I see that. The ones that were withdrawn, I believe, suffered from failure of the blade clamping mechanism.

Thanks for all replies. Chronos, I've dealt with and had forgotten them. I'll have a look at Tracy too.

Archived