The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Electric, Hybrid and Alternative fuelled vehicles - News and Discussion

Ron Ron Ron

I was in the Alps over new year, a lot of EVs around, (an eclectic mix of EU plates) and charging points at the main ski lifts.

As ever, there are 2 scripts / agenda at work, the truth is no doubt in the middle.

extreme heat no good either as you whack the AC on full and drain the battery (but again, little different to ICEs on that respect).

• 1 month later...

Good news for the budget conscious motorist, who would like a low cost EV runaround, for local and town driving.

The Dacia Spring is finally coming to the UK in RH drive form.

The car has had an facelift and update, since its launch in France and some other European countries, almost 4 years ago.

Much less a bare bones spec. car in its new guise.

OTR road price will be circa £17k

dacia_spring_front_three_quarter_1.jpg?i

dacia_spring_side.jpg?itok=Fc7Yu5d-

dacia_spring_rear_three_quarter_tracking

dacia_spring_interior_0.jpg?itok=TBQRqAI

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, 30801 said:

Dacia Spring pricing starts at £15k

I quite like it.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/dacia-spring-uks-cheapest-electric-car

An approachably sensible price for a 4 seater city car with an adequate range, much better value than a Citroen Ami!

£17k for the top of the range model with all mod cons is very attractive too!

Edited by Hroth

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

An approachably sensible price for a 4 seater city car with an adequate range, much better value than a Citroen Ami!

The cheapest UK car full stop is the Kia Picanto at £13,695 so £15k for a full EV is great.

Although new car prices these days are straight up nuts...

• RMweb Gold

The only problem is that pre-ordering a £15-17k car is even more of a gamble than pre-ordering a model loco!

I'm just wondering what the demand and delivery horizons will be, once examples are available to poke and prod at Dacia salerooms.

4 hours ago, Hroth said:

The only problem is that pre-ordering a £15-17k car is even more of a gamble than pre-ordering a model loco!

I'm just wondering what the demand and delivery horizons will be, once examples are available to poke and prod at Dacia salerooms.

Apparently the current version, which is only available on the continent has clocked up over 140,000 unit sales in 3 yrs. So I think it’s going to be pretty popular in its new guise.

We’ve also got the new Citroen eC3 and Renault 5 on the way later this year with prices starting in the 20 to 25k bracket, so maybe just maybe EVs might start to become a bit more “affordable”.

Cheers

idd

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

In connection with BEVs, we have been told that it is essential that the UK invests in building battery Gigafactories.

Today its been announced that a proposed one in Northumberland is not to go ahead as the previous promoter has gone under and no-one else has taken up the reins. 

There is now the possibility that the site will be used for a boring Datacentre...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cw4rx2zxy7wo

Perhaps a suitable "bribe" from the Levelling Up fund might have been an appropriate expenditure, if local battery production is so important?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

As an aside, is the brohuaha about gigafactories genuine or similar to the demand that the UK invest in 64 kilobit* chip fabs back in the late 70s/early 80s?

* Don't remember if it was bits or bytes, I'm sure that the politicians of the time didn't know either!

I just got a secondhand Tesla X and it seems like quite a nice car, but it is looking like a radio is an optional extra on modern cars as I cannot find the radio. Satnav appears to use Google which I guess is O.K. although I would rather have Waze. It has taken a fortnight to get access to the glovebox which was protected by a PIN number - which could only be cleared by sending a photo of the V5 to Tesla, and DVLA do not send the V5 out as quickly as they might. It has been quite a learning experience. I am especially not getting used the doors and everything being motorized - even the charging socket cover has a motor to open it. I was quite impressed that the granny charger it comes with is 3-phase - so it will charge at full 11KW AC rate if I find a suitable red commando socket to plug in to! Looks like lots of room to cart bits of layout around which is the important thing of course.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

There are lots of companies globally, heavily involved in developing Sodium ion and other solid state battery chemistries.

It's one of the biggest sectors for technological investment, in the present day.

• Thanks 1

On 15/04/2024 at 22:52, Suzie said:

I just got a secondhand Tesla X and it seems like quite a nice car, but it is looking like a radio is an optional extra on modern cars as I cannot find the radio. Satnav appears to use Google which I guess is O.K. although I would rather have Waze. It has taken a fortnight to get access to the glovebox which was protected by a PIN number - which could only be cleared by sending a photo of the V5 to Tesla, and DVLA do not send the V5 out as quickly as they might. It has been quite a learning experience. I am especially not getting used the doors and everything being motorized - even the charging socket cover has a motor to open it. I was quite impressed that the granny charger it comes with is 3-phase - so it will charge at full 11KW AC rate if I find a suitable red commando socket to plug in to! Looks like lots of room to cart bits of layout around which is the important thing of course.

On your screen at bottom (or side) there should be 3 dots which bring up the main menu

radio is an App on there 

Google maps in Tesla is very good, real-time traffic data, charging locations preprogrammed and now with speed camera locations too.

IMG_9528.jpeg.ee8075c4689137612b01cc884e7c3193.jpeg

4 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

On your screen at bottom (or side) there should be 3 dots which bring up the main menu

radio is an App on there 

Google maps in Tesla is very good, real-time traffic data, charging locations preprogrammed and now with speed camera locations too.

IMG_9528.jpeg.ee8075c4689137612b01cc884e7c3193.jpeg

It would be nice if that radio app was there...

11 hours ago, Suzie said:

It would be nice if that radio app was there...

Maybe it disappered because Elon had an argument on Twitter with the app vendor?

7 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

How about TuneIn App? You can access radio through that.

mine is a model 3 rather than X so seemingly not identical 

Tune in app works, but stops working when you are out of cellular telephone range.

I've seen reports of the Radio Icon disappearing after updates.

Apparently it can be easily restored to the screen.

Try a reboot of the central screen.

I must be covered in the handbook.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's just a matter of pressing down both scroll wheels (on the steering wheel) together, for a several seconds.

The central screen should go blank and then re-boot.

If that doesn't bring back the Icon, then there are various Tesla forums that will be able to help.