• RMweb Gold

Welcome to my little 2mm American slice of what will become Palmetto North Spur. Apologies if your google-fu has led you here whilst looking for Alcanmans excellent HO take of this Mindheim classic, that can be found here .

Basically this will be a classic US switching plank as espoused by Lance Mindheim, an N scale version of the shelf layout project in his "How to Build a Switching Layout" book.

Now this has been done very well by Lance and over in these parts as the link shows. This is a proof of concept experiment really, to see if it can work to my satisfaction in the smaller scale and down to a low budget. Therefore N gauge DC only.

I can't find my original anyrail plan to attach but if you don't know the plan here is an overview picture of things so far.

PNorthovw.jpg.2.jpg.d3955e1ed86f3dea902f6461ca0087f7.jpg

And another picture of a tonight's test session.

PNorthopsess.jpg.2.jpg.c29b026a2267923c303be6d4108d0bcc.jpg

As a proof of concept it went very well tonight, well enough to work through a switching session with me as conductor and my young pink trainer wearing accomplice as engineer. 

I thought it is about time time to start a thread now. As I move on to the scenic side of things it will give me a platform to ask for help in all the seeming obvious things I still don't understand about US railwaysroads!

Edited by slow8dirty
Corrected broken link
  • Like 8

You are off to a good start. Keep up the good work. How To Build A Switching Layout is a great book with a lot of great information about building a small switching layout. There is nothing wrong with building a small switching layout in N scale. I have both N and HO scale locomotives in my apartment.

Wendell

Idaho, USA 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great work and good luck with layout. I'm sure you won't regret building Palmetto Spur.

I had great fun building and operating my version of Palmetto Spur and it remains my favourite of all the US switching layouts I've built. Hard to believe it's over 10 years since I built Palmetto Spur.

palmetto 2.jpg

• Like 5

Having recently  totally mis-identified the scale of a US switching layout that was in the background of a photo of another layout's thread, I'm glad I can safely assume this really is N Scale...!!! :rolleyes:  :blush:

At least I can repeat here that I do like US N, having started my US-outline modelling in that scale. Not sure I could go back to it - I wouldn't be able to even see it properly these days, but like to follow what others are doing. :yes:

• Friendly/supportive 1