Bachmann announce NEW Class 47

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 09/07/2024 at 21:19, 97406 said:

One area that is far more of an issue than fans which go round or not is the terrible prismatic windscreen glazing. I have replaced the previous Bachmann 47's front windscreen glazing with Laserglaze before, but today I tried replacing the windscreens of the new 47 and it fits, if a little loosely.

From these milk bottle bottoms:

20240709_141359.jpg.5eb7776d33dfab81a8e048dc3f141f3b.jpg

To this:

20240709_174116.jpg.d5f2ae7fa5b32507a5567ff602a77430.jpg

Here's one of the glazing units I removed. The lip across the bottom doesn't go the whole way across leading to all sort of asymmetric prismatic effects. The one rubbish aspect to this otherwise smashing model.

20240709_173957.jpg.6a2efae52fe7872a68bfa3d2baa520b8.jpg

Looking at the gap around the Lazerglaze, I think you've got the glazing inserts in back to front. The rear of the glazing (the side where the cut is made) should be on the inside. The glazing is a slackish fit but offered up to the aperture from the outside and slid under the windscreen wiper (didn't want to come out) and bonded with a fine bead of matt (not Klear!) acrylic varnish, it shouldn't have a gap. This what I mean (on the right is sfx glazing, for comparison): 

DSC03942cut.JPG

Edited by ohmygoodnessme
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 10/07/2024 at 07:10, 97406 said:

The only real error was the marker lights which were a little too large and positioned slightly incorrectly.

EE 47-06 for replacement etched marker light surrounds and Rail-tec 9960 are very useful. 47-06 is particulary useful on Vi-Trains 47s as well to replace their slightly odd rendering.  The 3D dominos are ideal for any model where the prototype had them in a different place (e.g. 47546). I haven't used the 3D dominos on the new Bachmann 47 yet but I'm tempted. The black surround on the Bachmann model is overscale and the paint falls off it.

DSC03944cut.JPG

Edited by ohmygoodnessme
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, ohmygoodnessme said:

EE 47-06 for replacement etched marker light surrounds and Rail-tec 9960 are very useful. 47-06 is particulary useful on Vi-Trains 47s as well to replace their slightly odd rendering.  The 3D dominos are ideal for any model where the prototype had them in a different place (e.g. 47546). I haven't used the 3D dominos on the new Bachmann 47 yet but I'm tempted. The black surround on the Bachmann model is overscale and the paint falls off it.

DSC03944cut.JPG

Very nice. I've been sizing up my Vitrains 47s and there's lots to like on the tooling. I particularly like their rendition of the circular thing on top of the cab roof which looks more refined than the Bachmann one (unless there are different types... my photos suggest the Vitrains is better).

Im begining to plan a few 47 projects so will need to change the headcode panels... so youve made an interesting observation on the headcode panels and something I think I need to explore. I'm also tempted to fit some window sideframes.

I think we need to persuade Brian to have a go at some new laserglaze :)

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ohmygoodnessme said:

Looking at the gap around the Lazerglaze, I think you've got the glazing inserts in back to front. The rear of the glazing (the side where the cut is made) should be on the inside. The glazing is a slackish fit but offered up to the aperture from the outside and slid under the windscreen wiper (didn't want to come out) and bonded with a fine bead of matt (not Klear!) acrylic varnish, it shouldn't have a gap. This what I mean (on the right is sfx glazing, for comparison): 

DSC03942cut.JPG

Very nice. The glazing is deffo in the correct way round in mine though. I found through the 4 panes that I only needed to sand down the corners very slightly in the end and there was a slight interference fit when I did that. Still a slack fit compared to the older 47s.

Edited by 97406

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, ohmygoodnessme said:

DSC03944cut.JPG

They look great. Have you modelled any flush-fronted ends with marker lights?

I’ve 3 Vi 47 with flush fronts and the sealed beam lights look well positioned compared to the last Bachmann 47, but they are a little small. I’ve drilled them out slightly to 1/16” and used acrylic rod and even tried new surrounds from styrene tube, but I seem to only be able to get slightly oversized or (to my mind better looking) slightly undersized lights using available materials. 

20240713_061559.jpg.888625927446d90b0131710c5f8cd1e4.jpg

Edited by 97406
1/16" not 16"!

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Have you modelled any flush-fronted ends with marker lights?

Yes, but not using the new Bachmann 47. There were at least three versions of the old Bachmann 47 with flush fronts: Nr.1 end flush, Nr. 2 end flush and both ends flush. All the models I have bought/seen/used have the domino lights too close together for the models I've done, but to retain a level of sanity, I just used them and didn't move the dominos. I don't think it looks bad/obvious on ScotRail levery with half grey and half yellow but large logo (e.g. 47614 flush at both ends, based on a large logo Bachmann 47535 IIRC) looks odd.

Here are examples of Nr.1 flush end and Nr. 2 flush end (yes it is flush) on my favourite scrubberupper - the Vitrains 47. The Nr.1 end flush front was modelled by Vitrains but with a slightly odd lens cap, so replaced with EE47-06. The Nr.2 end flush is....I can't remember but I think it involved filler and cocktail sticks. But I'm drifting from the thread title so I'll put my case for the Vitrains 47 on another thread.  

DSC03945cut.JPG

Edited by ohmygoodnessme
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ohmygoodnessme said:

the domino lights 

At risk of being pedantic, aren't dominos the black and white stickers (that looked like dominoes) that preceded plated headcodes?

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ohmygoodnessme said:

Yes, but not using the new Bachmann 47. There were at least three versions of the old Bachmann 47 with flush fronts: Nr.1 end flush, Nr. 2 end flush and both ends flush. All the models I have bought/seen/used have the domino lights too close together for the models I've done, but to retain a level of sanity, I just used them and didn't move the dominos. I don't think it looks bad/obvious on ScotRail levery with half grey and half yellow but large logo (e.g. 47614 flush at both ends, based on a large logo Bachmann 47535 IIRC) looks odd.

Here's examples of Nr.1 flush end and Nr. 2 flush end (yes it is flush) on my favourite scrubberupper - the Vitrains 47. The Nr.1 end flush front was modelled by Vitrains but with a slightly odd lens cap, so replaced with EE47-06. The Nr.2 end flush is....I can't remember but I think it involved filler and cocktail sticks. But I'm drifting from the thread title so I'll put my case for the Vitrains 47 on another thread.  

DSC03945cut.JPG

I like the sound of a Vitrains 47s thread 😀

1 hour ago, dj_crisp said:

Me too! I’ve got three waiting in their boxes for mods. It’s always handy to see what others have done and which Shawplan parts were used. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, dj_crisp said:

I’d be up for that. They’re fun to work on and you get a good result.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, ohmygoodnessme said:

Here's examples of Nr.1 flush end and Nr. 2 flush end (yes it is flush) on my favourite scrubberupper - the Vitrains 47. The Nr.1 end flush front was modelled by Vitrains but with a slightly odd lens cap, so replaced with EE47-06. The Nr.2 end flush is....I can't remember but I think it involved filler and cocktail sticks. But I'm drifting from the thread title so I'll put my case for the Vitrains 47 on another thread.  

DSC03945cut.JPG

I’ll look into the Shawplan parts for my Vitrains. It’s a shame Brian doesn’t put pictures on the website but I’ll give him a shout. I’ve got a Bachmann 47079 in GWR150 livery and the lights on the number 2 end don’t look right at all. I could probably move the flush end lights a touch with filler and using acrylic rod for the new lenses. Let’s see what Brian’s light surrounds look like. 

I can just about live with them on the headcode panel at the other end, but again it may be worth putting one of his in. 

I was in Kernow in Guildford today looking at the Bachmann 47 and the "other" 47s. I sadly don't think any of them capture the front and all have errors one way or another. The lenses look even more off in the flesh, which is a pity as the rest of it looks good and some areas better than the other 47s. For me though, I'm still unsure to replace my 3 vi-trains 47s with Bachmann models as those fronts do need work

NL

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, NickL2008 said:

I was in Kernow in Guildford today looking at the Bachmann 47 and the "other" 47s. I sadly don't think any of them capture the front and all have errors one way or another. The lenses look even more off in the flesh, which is a pity as the rest of it looks good and some areas better than the other 47s. For me though, I'm still unsure to replace my 3 vi-trains 47s with Bachmann models as those fronts do need work

NL

Yes I agree. I beginning to have a close look at my 47s to see what I'd like to tweak. So far overall dimensions look good but I'm wondering if some of the finer details could do with some refinement. 

I'm not sure why kernow put a V ariel on 47484.... its hard to match Vitrains green and this one looks just as hard!

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

I'm not sure why kernow put a V ariel on 47484.... its hard to match Vitrains green and this one looks just as hard!

I agree - I would buy one if it was without the aerial (i.e. as first appeared in that livery) but I presume Bachmann’s current tooling of cabs with marker lights and headlight only covers the more common V aerial option. 47484’s straight one was fairly unique.

22 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

I agree - I would buy one if it was without the aerial (i.e. as first appeared in that livery) but I presume Bachmann’s current tooling of cabs with marker lights and headlight only covers the more common V aerial option. 47484’s straight one was fairly unique.

My theory is that 47484 was the first of the class to be fitted with aerials so probably explains the non standard fitment.

• Agree 1

On 14/07/2024 at 09:26, brushman47544 said:

47484’s straight one was fairly unique.

A bit like slightly pregnant?

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Bought the working fan from Bachmann  - good service from them, was sent via 48hrs post. No complaints from me about the price - it is what it is.

Contrary to comments earlier its a really straight forward fit to the current model, screw into mounts provided on the chassis block, no need to disturb the circuit board  and put the plug into into the socket marked 'Fan'! Remove the cosmetic fans screwed to the body molding. Only thing to watch is when putting the body back on the wires to the cab lights on No1 end can become trapped between roof and fan - my solution was to tape the excess wire against the cab bulkhead. Whilst I had the body off I also swapped out the factory fitted 15x11 speaker with a replacement from Roads and Rails - it has a bit more bass* and a more rounded sound than the factory fit. 

* For a 15x11 speaker - it isnt Accurscale standards, just better than as supplied in the opinion of my ears!

• Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, 97406 said:

I’ve finally got around to Laserglazing the front screens of my retooled 47012. Proper sets it off, it does!

IMG_01401.JPG.4b64feb053dab93faac7b98505b5f74e.JPG

Quantum leap in the look . Nice one !

• Like 3

19 hours ago, 97406 said:

I’ve finally got around to Laserglazing the front screens of my retooled 47012. Proper sets it off, it does!

IMG_01401.JPG.4b64feb053dab93faac7b98505b5f74e.JPG

That really does look the dogs danglies does that. 

Very blue eighties with a lovely crispness

• Like 4