The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Google - Why mess with simplicity?

gordon s

Change for change's sake make my blood boil....angry.gif

Logged on this morning to this garish Google home page. No doubt some team of programmers had nothing better to do and came up with a new whizzy design.

Another case of changing something that was clear and simple and worked. A classic design that did what it was supposed to.

Why on earth has everything now got to become touchy/feely/personal?

How do I get my classic Google page back?

• RMweb Gold

It seems a lot slower too..... and if you want to change it you have to sign up to be a member, no doubt with all the unwanted 'extras'.

Annoying - but at least my background was trees - not ruddy awful toys.

Thanks David. I had found that page/link, but it doesn't give the option to search UK pages only. As soon as you click on the Google UK link it takes you to the new page.

No doubt I'll get over it. Perhaps I've got to get out more.....biggrin.gif

Simple answer. They are trying to catch up to Bing. Sadly they're pulling pictures at random. Whereas Bing uses ones that have enough contrast to allow the screen text to be readable. The one I just got:

post-2818-127615407424.jpg

makes all the onscreen text unreadable. Muppets.

I quite liked the way they marked special days - Hallowe'en etc - but that pic. is right over the top.

For some reason I got the Classic page.

My 'pop-ups' are blocked which might be a reason, who knows?

However, I'm taking pills for it.

My YouTube page is also suggesting I set up a google login - which i shall avoid as long as possible.

As you said, Gordon, just change for change's sake (and to keep those ******* 'programmers' in employment.

BTW, Ron, I won't be using bing either as, I believe, it's associated with the bill gates pension fund (i.e. micro$haft)

Sent to you with Firefox running on Ubuntu Linux!

BTW, Ron, I won't be using bing either as, I believe, it's associated with the bill gates pension fund (i.e. micro$haft)

Fair enough John but Bing does allow the user to remove pictures.

• RMweb Gold

Gordon. If you want UK only now you can do it.

In your new Google front page type your search term (eg Gordon S). Google will return a page of results. On the left hand side of the screen there is an option to select UK only. There are options to reduce shopping sites as well although as you appear to have elliptical fitness trainers as a favourite you might not want to get rid of the shopping comparison sites!

Tony

I'm 100% with you on this one Gordon.

I hate a bunch of programmers deciding how I should do things.

I think there should be a simple on/off option and readily available to all.

Ad blocking works but just leaves the just as poorly readable text.

I expect someone will come up with a local css fix eventually.

I certainly have no intention of joining a Google community and leaking more tracking information to them.

I would complain to Google but there doesn't appear to be any contact route.

Archived