Tavistock (GWR)

John Brenchley

Very helpful information thanks Becasse though as you say, I could probably assume they had not been fitted at the time of my model.  You don't mention, but can I assume the writing is black on a white background and with black edging?

Thanks also to Wiggoforgold and Izzy for your recommendations on matt varnish - I'll experiment on some scrap prints first to check for any adverse reactions.

Best wishes

John

On 11/07/2024 at 07:02, Izzy said:

One thing I always do is spray the sheets with Matt varnish before use.

Bob can I clarify - you print on label paper with a colour inkjet, then you spray the label with matt varnish? And you don't spray the paper and then put it in the printer? (To me that sounds like a way to clog a printer but I'd be interested to be wrong 😄)

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, BusDriverMan said:

Bob can I clarify - you print on label paper with a colour inkjet, then you spray the label with matt varnish? And you don't spray the paper and then put it in the printer? (To me that sounds like a way to clog a printer but I'd be interested to be wrong 😄)

Yes, print on the label sheet first, then spray to seal it before using the sheet, cut up as required, to cover the model carcass. Obviously you want/need to use a matt varnish. I have found the spray by Ghiant (inkjet fix matte) to be good, gives a proper matt finish. Be warned it’s not cheap but meant for the job. Others I have found show the paper has been coated and looks wrong to my eyes, which weathering with paint doesn’t alter. Even the matt ones give a sheen to it. 

Bob

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2