Classic Locations

I know it's already been mentioned (unsurprisingly) but I'll just leave this here all the same. Taken on 11th August 2018, from (roughly) the same spot as I was taken to as a four-year old 50 years previously.

DSC03733 (mob)_LR.jpg

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

I know it's already been mentioned (unsurprisingly) but I'll just leave this here all the same. Taken on 11th August 2018, from (roughly) the same spot as I was taken to as a four-year old 50 years previously.

DSC03733 (mob)_LR.jpg

Nice shot of Whernside.

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Went to Butterley I believe initially about 2008,  then to Ropley on the Mid Hants.

So the present one isn't an adapted one. Well I never realised that! What a duffer I must be. Maybe I have this vision of the York Footbridge in my remaining brain cell!

P

• RMweb Premium

There are a Shed Shots I would count as Classic.

Steam days: Nine Elms, Exmouth Junction, Barrow Road and St Phillip's Marsh, Willesden, Stratford, Top Shed, all Crewe, Kingsmoor, in fact almost any including Wadebridge!

Diesel days.. I loved Tinsley and Barrow Hill, Laira (nice design) again Stratford and a few of those ex Scottish Steam Sheds just turned over to Diesel.

Happy memories.

11 hours ago, 96701 said:

Nice shot of Whernside.

Pedant alert:

Pen-y-Ghent actually but - hey...

DSC03720.JPG.80106b74a2167d9def262b4388a4a359.JPG

This panoramic prior to the main event shows both Pen-y-Ghent and Ingleborough (on the right, with the flat top). Whernside is behind me. Yorkshire's 'Three Peaks'. What a fantastic place to build a railway.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

So the present one isn't an adapted one. Well I never realised that! What a duffer I must be. Maybe I have this vision of the York Footbridge in my remaining brain cell!

P

Definitely not the old one adapted.  The Grade 1 listed Victorian bridge didn't serve platforms 2-7 - it only connected the outer platforms and so wasn't used much - it was a railwaymen's euphemism for having to report to the management offices after some misdemeanour!  Time-lapse photography of its removal:

They obviously thought we were getting so old and decrepit we need a stairlift now ... this is the replacement :

https://www.stannahlifts.co.uk/case-studies/stannah-kings-cross-moving-millions-radical-revamp

https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/resources/kings-cross-footbridge

Rebuilding at Ropley:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Definitely not the old one adapted.  The Grade 1 listed Victorian bridge didn't serve platforms 2-7 - it only connected the outer platforms and so wasn't used much - it was a railwaymen's euphemism for having to report to the management offices after some misdemeanour!  Time-lapse photography of its removal:

They obviously thought we were getting so old and decrepit we need a stairlift now ... this is the replacement :

https://www.stannahlifts.co.uk/case-studies/stannah-kings-cross-moving-millions-radical-revamp

https://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/resources/kings-cross-footbridge

Rebuilding at Ropley:

Nice pictures of the Crane due from somebody (?). Thanks for that.

Some of us are grateful for that new facility at the bridge and it really helps access when there are platform changes.

Great that the old Bridge was reused; Network Rail at its' best.

P

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Great that the old Bridge was reused; Network Rail at its' best.

P

The fact that it was Grade 1 listed probably forced their hand somewhat.  The redesign of Kings Cross such that departing passengers no longer use the old concourse at the platform ends but had to enter from the new booking hall at the side of the station meant that a bridge was required, it had to be disability-friendly and the old one was unsuitable for conversion. 

The pedestrian flow works much better as passengers departing and arriving no longer impede each other on the main line platforms.

• Agree 1