The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Miss Prism is unwell, but getting better slowly

Miss Prism

• RMweb Gold

Very sorry to hear you are in hospital,  but you seem to have a marvellous ability to detach yourself from the reality and observe your situation from almost a 3rd person perspective. This is fascinating ( without being too voyeuristic) for your readers.

Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

Stu

• Agree 12

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear what you're going through - you paint a very sobering picture.

Hang in there!

I don't know if you can think about the trivialities of railway modelling at the moment but, if it helps take your mind off things, Dapol have just posted images of their Manor and are asking for "constructive comments"... That's right up your street!

• RMweb Premium

Get well soon and many thanks for your courageous post.

Hope it isn't too long before you are up and about.

Best wishes

Polly and Ray

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear it, Miss P, sounds very unpleasant. Best wishes for a speedy recovery from me. 

Here's something to cheer you up a bit, 7802 at Kidderminster sending you regards from the old GWR that is so special to you and many of us. Sorry about the livery.

IMG_20180913_141615047_HDR.jpg.e15f0bf2958f04b4327f232c2ae553b4.jpg 

• Like 14

Wow! What a blisteringly honest account of being a patient.

My very best wishes for a full and uneventful recovery. As you are already experiencing, it won’t be fast and it won’t be easy but it will be.

iD

p.s. I note with wry amusement your comment about “young” doctors. Someone once observed that you know you’re getting old when policemen and nurses start to seem like children, but so it goes.

• Like 9

What a horrible experience, however, how very much better than the available alternatives!  

Some 27 years ago, a couple of months  after I got married, my mum had a series of minor heart attacks, which led to multiple bypass surgery.  I won’t trivialise it, her recovery took several months, and was at times painful both physically and mentally, but she made a very full recovery, and lived happily into her 94th year.  

She was delighted to be able to ring her surgeon on the 25th anniversary of her op.

Hang in there!  

I wish you all the best, get well soon!

Simon

• Friendly/supportive 8

Sorry to hear of your experience and I wish you a speedy recovery. 3 years ago I was told that I needed a heart by pass, thankfully the decision was changed to having 3 stents fitted. I must say I was relieved as the operation was much smaller. Just take your time and don't rush matters.

I attended a 12 week (2 hours a week) rehabilitation course at a local hospital, where those of us who had either a bypass or stent operation went on a two hour a week course showing us safely how to excursive and how to live a healthier lifestyle. All I can say is the NHS looks after us very well. 

Looking forward to you being back fully with us and on the mend, in the meantime keep well

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

Sounds horrific. Here’s hoping your pathway to recovery is speedy and the pain and discomfort can be made more bearable. On a positive note a good friend went through the same and now lives a pretty well normal life.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to hear about your predicament. Your input to GWR / WR modelling and knowledge in general has been a great help to many of us. Long may it continue.

On an optimistic note my Dad had heart problems in his 60s. It was touch and go at the time but he recovered and was able to resume chasing trains around for over 20 years.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Best wishes and hopefully each day things will get a  bit better.

Love tha analogy about the medbots and Japanese battleships, know what you mean from a friend"s time n ICU. My only comment would be if one starts announcing Tora Tora Tora might be time to start wearing your bedpan......

Take care

Stu

• RMweb Premium

My Very Best Wishes to you Miss Prism for a speedy and full recovery. Two acquaintances who went through the same procedure a number of years ago, remain in good health and I hope that will be your experience too.

14 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

It was an elemental pain and terror I had never experienced before. And incessant. It went on for hours. Days actually. There was no negotiation - I was crying and shouting "please stop", "please stop", "please stop" at every breath, pleading with the nurses to make it go away, but all in vain.  It was something out of a nightmare science fiction film. The only normality in the scene was that I recognised a couple of the young nurses, for whom the proceedings were utterly normal.

Very sorry to hear of your needing to be in hospital.

Your posting reminds me of the time I visited my partner's sister in intensive care after she had a liver transplant after being on the waiting list for a donor organ for four years.  She was complaining that the pain was too much and asked me to turn off life support because the nurses wouldn't do it.  I had to point out that although the machine had its power switched on, she wasn't connected to it and she was breathing under her own power, it was only there as standby in case she needed it.  I am pleased to say she is still with us about five years later.  Whilst you're in ICU you're not well enough to make rational decisions about anything.  It really is a case of doctor knows best.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery - the fact that you are able to describe your situation and feelings suggests to me that you are indeed recovering already.