Cavalex - all new Class 56 in OO

AY Mod

17 minutes ago, AForce said:

Out of interest, is anyone still awaiting dispatch confirmation for any pre-ordered models or new orders placed with Rails last week?

First-world problem of course, and I know they've had loads of orders to get through. Hopefully, it won't take much longer, although it does seem to be a bit random as to who gets what when.

On a different subject, thank you to the Cavalex team for all the helpful info and prompt feedback/responses provided in this thread.

Yes I am. I contacted them this morning and they responded in minutes saying they have my order but haven't processed it yet. I'm also waiting on my other 56 from Collet's, so assume it's just the same. Lots of people must have pre-ordered this and we're just in the queue.

Edited by lego legs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Seriously considering one, could anyone say what the length over buffers is please, I make it to be to scale it should be 254mm.  Only need to know as I have very tight train lengths in thru fiddle yard and terminal platform.

Any more than 274 and it's a no no, many thanks.

33 minutes ago, AForce said:

Out of interest, is anyone still awaiting dispatch confirmation for any pre-ordered models or new orders placed with Rails last week?

First-world problem of course, and I know they've had loads of orders to get through. Hopefully, it won't take much longer, although it does seem to be a bit random as to who gets what when.

I preordered 008 and 093 from them in 2022 and heard nothing from them, while others were ordering and getting them the next day so I emailed them yesterday to ask if orders were just sent out in random order... I've not had a reply to the email but a few hours later they took my money and today they were picked up by DPD. I was waiting to see them in the "flesh" to see how good they were before ordering any others but they were taking so long and selling out everywhere that i ordered 120 and 023 from two different places instead.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, IOW O2 said:

Seriously considering one, could anyone say what the length over buffers is please, I make it to be to scale it should be 254mm.  Only need to know as I have very tight train lengths in thru fiddle yard and terminal platform.

Any more than 274 and it's a no no, many thanks.

It is .... 254mm !!

Mine just arrived this morning.

Al.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

24 minutes ago, 37081LochLong said:

I preordered 008 and 093 from them in 2022 and heard nothing from them, while others were ordering and getting them the next day so I emailed them yesterday to ask if orders were just sent out in random order... I've not had a reply to the email but a few hours later they took my money and today they were picked up by DPD. I was waiting to see them in the "flesh" to see how good they were before ordering any others but they were taking so long and selling out everywhere that i ordered 120 and 023 from two different places instead.

Took my money last Wednesday and still heard nothing since.

1 hour ago, AForce said:

On a different subject, thank you to the Cavalex team for all the helpful info and prompt feedback/responses provided in this thread.

Still waiting for mine, ordered it in June 21 from Rails, heard nothing yet. Not the end of the world, but a little miffed others seem to have ordered theirs and got them sent straight out. Rails have had my £30 depo for over 2 and a half years, thought I might be a bit higher up the list

19 minutes ago, Yo said:

Still waiting for mine, ordered it in June 21 from Rails, heard nothing yet. Not the end of the world, but a little miffed others seem to have ordered theirs and got them sent straight out. Rails have had my £30 depo for over 2 and a half years, thought I might be a bit higher up the list

Which just proves that they have no order to how they send them out, mine were 2022 and sent out today?

Never had a single problem with preorders from them before but this time it's so random 

2 hours ago, AForce said:

paid for another Class 56 last Thursday and not heard a thing since, paid for a third today from John Dutfield and it’s expected tomorrow, guess who gets my money next time round 😉

• Like 1

Rails have loads to send out any one who has paid for the extra delivery gets there's put up the line, i have 2 still to come from rails myself with free delivery! im sure there sending them out as quick as they can and the wait will be well worth it! 

• Like 2

I ordered mine Friday evening from Rails and didn't expect it to be dispatched until today at the bare minimum. The warehouse and packaging team can only do so much if they've got this huge order on top of their normal expected workload. There was about a two week delay on items being dispatched from the Accurascale warehouse last summer when lots of items came into stock at once I remember? 

Edited by Slacky89
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, reddragon said:

Seems like I need to learn how to drive a class 56 properly!!

Having moved gradually from DCC to DCC Sound, learning to drive each loco properly is quite a challenge, especially stopping in the right place.

I know some who would be put off by learning to drive a model train properly & like the direct feel of a DC control knob. But you can adjust acceleration/deceleration really easily, so you can set it up exactly how you want it.

I find it much more interesting to bring the train to a controlled stop rather than have an instant reaction.

I had never previously used the coast feature quite as described in the manual but after having given it a try, I like it.

• Friendly/supportive 1

18 minutes ago, Hammer1988 said:

Rails have loads to send out any one who has paid for the extra delivery gets there's put up the line, i have 2 still to come from rails myself with free delivery! im sure there sending them out as quick as they can and the wait will be well worth it! 

When you see people who admit to not paying extra for postage but getting theirs the day after ordering then you start to question if it's more random than that

3 hours ago, AForce said:

I didn't have shipment confirmation from them until today, but still have nothing from the courier and its not showing on their tracking system as yet. By all accounts this was a rather large inventory for them to get through. I was starting to wonder when the model I've ordered disappeared from their site entirely on Saturday, rather than show as out of stock like others, but its finally on its way.

• RMweb Gold

It probably is random given the sheer volume of locos and orders they need to sort, plus their systems and processes may not be designed to handle a sudden, unusual and massive influx of pre-ordered product.

Anyone who has worked in retail at Xmas, especially in the olden days before internet shopping will be able to visualise how frantic things probably are at Rails right now to get the orders out ASAP. Someone trying to filter and prioritise orders by postage is someone not picking and packing. Then there are the practical issues of space to store then sort and pack the quantity, getting the delivery company to uplift what will presumably be a substantial increase in daily volume etc etc. Such is the volume that they might be implementing a more efficient system to get through the orders, such as doing one SKU at a time to clear them rather than wasting time going through, moving, opening and handling different boxes for different models.

The Cavalex 56's are a huge success, delivering desperately needed cash into all the supprting retailers' hands at a time when Hattons are closing down. That Rails and other retailers were able to take on major pre-orders and support this product is a huge positive and vote of confidence in Cavalex and the hobby. The postage thing is annoying but possibly a victim of the model's success.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, taliesin said:

paid for another Class 56 last Thursday and not heard a thing since, paid for a third today from John Dutfield and it’s expected tomorrow, guess who gets my money next time round 😉

Ken and Heather at John Dutfields are of course local to Cavalex, both being Essex based. They have a couple of these waiting for me when I return to the UK 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I know some who would be put off by learning to drive a model train properly & like the direct feel of a DC control knob. But you can adjust acceleration/deceleration really easily, so you can set it up exactly how you want it.

I find it much more interesting to bring the train to a controlled stop rather than have an instant reaction.

I had never previously used the coast feature quite as described in the manual but after having given it a try, I like it.

The easy bit is getting the train moving....the hard bit is stopping in the right place!....preferably 6ft before buffer stops!🙈

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, reddragon said:

Seems like I need to learn how to drive a class 56 properly!!

Having moved gradually from DCC to DCC Sound, learning to drive each loco properly is quite a challenge, especially stopping in the right place.

I was there when I first started driving it, now it's the most fun I've had with a DCC controller!

• Like 2

Back to the model - having picked up a 56 today from Rails I got it home and there was something loose inside.

Taking the body off one of small fittings in the cab that has the Dials on fell out.

Is there a way to take the interior out of the cab so I could glue the small piece back in place?

Thanks

Peter