Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

I wonder if the relaying works were after the HST derailment around there?

I believe that was 84 and a bit further north where the down slow ran round the rear of Tyne Yard 

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 20/12/2022 at 10:39, Mark Saunders said:

Looks more like the removal of the Consett line, than renewals!

Rationalisation of the junction June '83, same photos here - https://southpelawjunction.co.uk/wp/?page_id=2235 - found this while looking up the location, not one I knew by name but I thought I recognised the tower in the background which was iirc part of an AEI cable factory. Site now a depot for a digger manufacturer (Komatsu).

Edited by Artless Bodger
Corrected, AEI not Croda, added Komatsu
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Artless Bodger said:

Rationalisation of the junction June '83, same photos here - https://southpelawjunction.co.uk/wp/?page_id=2235 - found this while looking up the location, not one I knew by name but I thought I recognised the tower in the background which was iirc part of an AEI cable factory. Site now a depot for a digger manufacturer (Komatsu).

Was the remains of the Consett line signalled or were trains just worked on it in a possession 

15 minutes ago, Ben B said:

I could see that being an illustration in a Thomas book... theres something of a conspiratorial huddle to the atmosphere there ;)

The Fat Controller asked the steam engines what had happened to Dirty Diesel - but all the steam engines looked away and remained strangely silent.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Was the any significance to the primrose yellow paint in the roof? 

i.e. was it a particular insulating formula to prevent flashover or something? Then again it's only ever visible when ex-works and roofs never seems to be cleaned in service.

Edited by keefer

It might be “anti-tracking” paint, which is formulated to resist the formation of condensation, but quite how that would stand up to outdoor use I’m not sure, it usually goes on the inside of cabinets, or equipment that is itself enclosed.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Informative/Useful 1