Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

Another drone pic from "Stapleton Road". His caption might be more interesting than the pic

60055 Thomas Bernardo is in Hackney Yards Newton Abbot at the head of what will be a proving run for DCR, part of the Cappagh group. She is moving stone to Willesden for use in the HS2 project. I think the stone is a by product of the new Tungstone mine on the outskirts of Plymouth.

"Uncle Tom Cobley And All"

The "Tungstone" (sic) is from Hemerdon.

Changing times! A while ago mining in Britain was discouraged because "environment". And now...

Tungsten West plc is restarting the World Class Hemerdon Tungsten-Tin Deposit located in South Devon ... Tungsten is an essential strategic metal used across several important applications ... The Hemerdon Tungsten-Tin Mine, formerly known as Drakelands Mine or the Hemerdon Ball or Hemerdon Bat Mine, was an operating tungsten and tin mine between August 2015 and October 2018 under previous operators Wolf Minerals (UK) Ltd. (Wolf). The mine is located 7 miles NE of Plymouth, near the village of Plympton, in Devon, England, and has been categorised as a world class deposit due to the scale of the deposit within a global context.

https://www.tungstenwest.com/

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Vorsprung durch Technik?

Thanks to mailrail for this.

Filming for the James May longest model railway challenge at Bideford. This was the German team from Minitatur Wunderland who started at Bideford.

www.miniatur-wunderland.com/

This was during the filming of James Mays reattempt at his challenge to create the longest model railway line between Barnstaple and Bideford, but this time with a race between British model railway enthusiasts against a German team from Miniatur Wunderland. With sturdier track and a new power system, along with Oz Clarke helping out, the teams compete with three different model trains - a steam locomotive, an electric train, and a modified model train with a unique power source - racing from opposite ends. The renewed attempt proves a success, completing what was started in 2009, with the British beating the Germans by being the first to their destination with two trains.

Filming for the James May longest model railway challenge at Bideford. This was the German team from Minitatur Wunderland who started at Bideford.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Does anyone know when these went full custard?

43001 1979 Derby by John Wooley

43001_1979_08_Derby

Somewhere between 1976 & 1978.  There are other pictures on Flickr of that full yellow end, the earliest I have found so far is 1978.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Skim read it, and confess that I still don’t understand how it works, because I can’t see anywhere for the energy dissipated at the loco to go ……. I’m still looking for resistor grids! 

The reference includes a link to a description of the test plant in action.

http://www.traintesting.com/Mobile_test_plant_in_action.htm

The taking of indicator diagrams at precisely maintained road speeds is, however, only one outcome of the central feature of the mobile test plant – the electrical braking units and the method of automatically controlling the speed. The principles involve were described in complete detail in Dr Andrews’s paper read before the Institution of Mechanical Engineers in April 1948, and reported in THE ENGINEER, April 23, 30 and May 7 1948.

Looking at the picture of the Generator there are no heavy cables coming out of it, so possibly the energy is dissipated internally within the Generator. The generator drives some sort of electrical brake  perhaps.

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Did well to capture not just one, but two alien interstellar cruisers in that photo. Have you tried selling it to The National Enquirer?

😛  Nice thought, but I'm not in it for the money - just keep watching the skies, the truth is out there!

I have a natural talent for things like that when taking photos - not just the extra terrestrials; also note the perfectly framed brick wall and the beautifully off-centre and sloping composition of the locomotive itself...

• Funny 4

45 minutes ago, goldfish said:

Looking at the picture of the Generator there are no heavy cables coming out of it, so possibly the energy is dissipated internally within the Generator. The generator drives some sort of electrical brake  perhaps.

The diesel generator provides excitation current to the axle-driven generators, the output from the latter being controlled by controlling the former.

If by “electrical brake” you mean magnetic attraction or repulsion braking, I don’t think so, I’m pretty certain it is rheostatic braking using resistor grids that aren’t shown in the photos. Nock’s description is all very odd, skipping over key points - maybe he expected his readers to have seen the paper by Andrews that he mentions. That paper is available on-line, but you have to pay for it, and I’m not that curious!

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

The diesel generator provides excitation current to the axle-driven generators, the output from the latter being controlled by controlling the former.

If by “electrical brake” you mean magnetic attraction or repulsion braking, I don’t think so, I’m pretty certain it is rheostatic braking using resistor grids that aren’t shown in the photos. Nock’s description is all very odd, skipping over key points - maybe he expected his readers to have seen the paper by Andrews that he mentions. That paper is available on-line, but you have to pay for it, and I’m not that curious!

There would appear to be a number of rectangular vents on the roofs of the two test vehicles.

4 hours ago, billy_anorak59 said:

😛  Nice thought, but I'm not in it for the money - just keep watching the skies, the truth is out there!

I have a natural talent for things like that when taking photos - not just the extra terrestrials; also note the perfectly framed brick wall and the beautifully off-centre and sloping composition of the locomotive itself...

See also this thread (edit: despite the missing photos on a lot of pages):

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 1

Engineer has kindly provided me with a copy of Andrew’s paper about the LMS test train, and very interesting and comprehensive it is too!

I’ve only skimmed it so far, but yes, the braking force is provided rheostatically, exactly as I guessed at the very outset. The roof hatches do indeed sit over the resistor banks, which are force-ventilated, with outlet air temperatures up to 350 Fahrenheit.

• Informative/Useful 1