Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

Northern are procuring their replacement as we speak.

Will be interesting to see how many make it to preservation, the 153s are already being bought up but a 150 isn't quite a 101, 108 or suchlike, a 156 is more amenable for a preserved line and a 158 with sealed windows and aircon sounds expensive to run.

It's a really long shot, but it would be nice if a 150 in original condition (no gangways) and Centro green livery ended up on the SVR. It always surprises me how little they do in the way of unit preservation, but a Sprinter in the colours and conditions they ran on the adjacent mainline might be a nice touch, maybe useful for shuttle workings between Kiddy and Bewdley. Kind of a 'what if' scenario for the line, if the route hadn't been preserved but stayed open, same as the Worth Valley have with their Pacer.

• Like 1

On 03/09/2024 at 08:44, Andy Kirkham said:

Goyles? That's a new one on me. Short for Gargoyles?

I started bashing locos in 1978 and Class 31s were always known as Goyles even though nobody knew the origin of the nicknames. 47s were Duffs and 40s were Whistlers although there the name made sense.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 08/09/2024 at 00:23, Pinza-C55 said:

I started bashing locos in 1978 and Class 31s were always known as Goyles even though nobody knew the origin of the nicknames. 47s were Duffs and 40s were Whistlers although there the name made sense.

I believe ‘Goyle’ (as in gargoyle) is a reference to the ‘face’ of the loco, especially with a full yellow end slapped on it. Has an almost skull-like quality to it,

Edited by 97406
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 07/09/2024 at 17:41, Ben B said:

It's a really long shot, but it would be nice if a 150 in original condition (no gangways) and Centro green livery ended up on the SVR. It always surprises me how little they do in the way of unit preservation, but a Sprinter in the colours and conditions they ran on the adjacent mainline might be a nice touch, maybe useful for shuttle workings between Kiddy and Bewdley. Kind of a 'what if' scenario for the line, if the route hadn't been preserved but stayed open, same as the Worth Valley have with their Pacer.

The SVR’s just acquired a 101 unit… 

• Informative/Useful 1

A distinctive feature of Darlington Bank Top station was the 18 foot triangular thermometer outside Richardsons factory. Sadly the factory closed in 1980 and the thermometer became vandalised and was eventually demolished, in 1998 according to the poster of the photo.

68050 at Darlington (2)

• Like 8

51 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Totally off topic, but definitely an interesting picture....

"MV Esso Jersey passes along the Exeter Canal and through the Countess Weir Swing Bridge on the A38, Summer 1963." by Steve Knight

MV Esso Jersey passes along the Exeter Canal and through the Countess Weir Swing Bridge on the A38, Summer 1963.

Really interesting photo. Thanks for posting that.

It’s actually Countess ‘Wear’ by the way.