Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

4 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

@montyburns56 And don't forget Deltis too at Bradford.

Oh it was all so different back then - I think whoever designed the new station was a railway modeller looking for a simple layout to build but run big trains on haha.

Indeed. The original article mentioned that it had Deltics, HSTs, Pullman portions and parcels trains, all in a shelf sized track layout! Plus Hornby even produced the DMU that provided the local services. It's a shame that BR didn't electrify this station which I presume was something to do with tunnel/bridge clearance issues?

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Indeed. The original article mentioned that it had Deltics, HSTs, Pullman portions and parcels trains, all in a shelf sized track layout! Plus Hornby even produced the DMU that provided the local services. It's a shame that BR didn't electrify this station which I presume was something to do with tunnel/bridge clearance issues?

I think the issue was more because the rest of the lines south of the station were all diesel so most services would remain so, whereas on the North side there was a potential commuter route to electrify.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

More of Bradford Interchange...  1981-04-20 03060  Bradford Interchange  

Personally, I like the look of that shunter ... I wonder what it's number is ??🤔🙄 😉🤣

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 5

1 hour ago, 03060 said:

I wonder what it's number is ??🤔🙄 😉🤣

Some people still don't get it...     🙂

• Funny 6

54 minutes ago, keefer said:

Love the first pic for the rare view of an all-blue GUV!😉

It's how I remember most of them, or do you mean clean and blue, because that was a decidedly rare occurrence - maybe a couple of weeks after a repaint.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

do you mean clean and blue,

Exactly!

Especially the ends, I think that's what makes it look odd 😊

• Like 2

18 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Monkwearmouth Shed Yard 1981

1981 Feb 26 Parcels Van loading at Monkwearmouth Shed Yard 1981 Feb 26 Parcels Van loading at Monkwearmouth Shed Yard Consett No10 hauling 1904 Tyneside electric motor luggage van on Metro Test track shortly before track was lifted Feb1971

Love that last shot, that's a beast of a shunter, and contrasts nicely with the vintage vehicle :)

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

On 26/06/2024 at 16:34, montyburns56 said:

Monkwearmouth Shed Yard 1981

Given the brevity of the Flickr captions, can someone explain the significance of these vehicles in the photos? - I get that it was something to do with testing for the T&W Metro, then being built. TIA.

1 hour ago, WessexEclectic said:

Given the brevity of the Flickr captions, can someone explain the significance of these vehicles in the photos? - I get that it was something to do with testing for the T&W Metro, then being built. TIA.

Is this the same?

1904 Parcels+fish van 26-2-1981

1904 Parcels+fish van 26-2-1981

• Like 3

2 hours ago, WessexEclectic said:

I think it was more to do with the Luggage van and the shunter being transferred to the Stephenson Steam Railway where they both remain to this day.

https://stephensonsteamrailway.org.uk/collection/our-collections

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

In the BR PTM book codes, X-FISH was the 6-whl van whereas FISH was the 4-whl.

They were often attached as tail loads on ScR services but not on the fastest trains - WTTs detailed whether they were allowed or not.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, WessexEclectic said:

Given the brevity of the Flickr captions, can someone explain the significance of these vehicles in the photos?

At a model railway exhibition I once helped operate one of the model railways erected within the coach.  Significant enough?  😉

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, keefer said:

In the BR PTM book codes, X-FISH was the 6-whl van whereas FISH was the 4-whl.

They were often attached as tail loads on ScR services but not on the fastest trains - WTTs detailed whether they were allowed or not.

INSIXFISH did run as tail traffic on some Class A/1 passenger services on the WR prior to transfer away from the Western.  There is a superb George Heiron photo of one marshalled front behind D1012 passing through Badminton on a Pembroke Dock - Paddington train in 1963.  Complete with a Conflat loaded with what appears to be an FM container marshalled between it and the passenger stock!

• Like 2