Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

Slightly OT story - relating to red luggage trollies - but years ago (1977-ish - think I was mourning the Westerns') I went to the Croydon area on a "spotting" trip that was partially hijacked by my Dad who wanted me to get some archery targets from "Quicks" in Lower East Croydon High street (near "The Tiger") and he provided an (irritatingly) large cardboard tube to transport such.  Anyway, targets purchased (plastic wrapped and neatly stowed in backpack sticking out like a radio aerial) - what to do with the cardboard tube - so whilst sat on the red parcel trolley at East Croydon jammed it into the slats and forgot about it - naughty but hey, I was 13 !)

Fast forward a few days - Postie knocks on door to deliver said empty tube (it had had our address on it 🤣) with a note of apology from the PO say the contents had gone missing in the post - very sorry ......................... So I had to explain why the tube had (like Lassie) had come home and we all agreed that the British / Rail postal service was a very fine thing ....................... 👍😁

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 8
  • Funny 6

On 07/10/2024 at 15:57, montyburns56 said:

An unusual 108/122 combo at Inverkeithing 1983 by Brian McDevitt

Cl 122 Sc55011 with Cl 108 M54248 & M53965 at Inverkeithing

From Railcar.com:  To cover for DMU shortages in late May 1983,  DMBS 50965 and DTC 56248 were on loan from Carlisle Kingmoor.  This would form set 359 working with bubble car 55011.  They would spend about six weeks in Scotland before returning south in early July.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

Warrington Arpley in better times

MP10896

And behind Stoke station, I can just remember seeing a shunter here back in the day

40.019 Stoke

Was more interesting when the bus station (mainly an open area of land with a few bus shelters) was at Arpley as well........

scan0039.jpg.e81f17575f171031cfc9be63d09abef7.jpg

...though that's the only photo I ever took there, circa 1977/78, before the Central Bus Station in the Golden Square development opened.

Edited by Johann Marsbar
  • Like 10

13 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

It's interesting that the early versions of both the Executive and Scotrail liveries had the grey band extending up onto the roof.

Montrose 1986 by Andrew McConnell

Mk3s - Montrose - Experimental ScotRail livery

At least one DBSO received ScotRail Light Blue Stripe livery with the extended grey band as well.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1