Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Pilotman said:

Was it this one at Aller Junction? Can’t have happened very often…

Class 33 33058  Newton Abbot 6/5/82

By Stapleton Road on Flickr

Aller Junction rings a bell but don't recognise the photo, maybe someone else took a pic from a different angle (or it was a different location)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

Was the 33 in multiple with the HST.

Keith

No multiple working, drawbar coupling and brake/main reservoir pipes only.

So individual crews (loco/HST) working together

Edited by keefer
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, The Pilotman said:

Was it this one at Aller Junction? Can’t have happened very often…

Class 33 33058  Newton Abbot 6/5/82

By Stapleton Road on Flickr

Thought there might be mention at Derbysulzers but no.

There is however one for 3/11/1983: 14.45 Paddington - Plymouth HST and the 19.00 return working was assisted by 33049 west of Exeter on each leg.

BTW, I'm sure the pic I have in mind was taken at Dainton Bank, coming round the curve and going uphill, just at the lower-quadrant signal (have seen similar views of other trains)

Edited by keefer
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, keefer said:
6 hours ago, KeithHC said:

Was the 33 in multiple with the HST.

Keith

No multiple working, drawbar coupling and brake/main reservoir pipes only.

So individual crews (loco/HST) working together

I'd imagine it was 33 only powering, as the caption describes the HST as a failure.

As mentioned, they couldn't multi up even if they wanted to.

Jo

• RMweb Premium
On 19/07/2024 at 12:41, Rugd1022 said:
On 19/07/2024 at 11:49, The Stationmaster said:

I find it odd imagining Alan having a daughter - he always looked much younger than his years.

Alan started in '71 Mike, here he is with Driver Bertie Miles at Padd...

End of last year Alan retired. Nice chap.

Jo

• Like 2

16 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

"I love the smell of diesel fumes in the morning..." 

Ranelagh Bridge 1975 by Keith Wilde

London Paddington  |  1975

That is an absolutely superb shot!

The last loco I put onto Ranelagh Bridge was 50 013, we'd taken it up to Padd to work a Hereford job but on arrival at Padd my driver declared it a failure, so we left it on RB where it sat until being dragged back to Old Oak the following day.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

"I love the smell of diesel fumes in the morning..." 

Ranelagh Bridge 1975 by Keith Wilde

London Paddington  |  1975

The residents in those flats definitely didn't love the smell of diesel fumes at any time of day - and they always seemed to be keen to make sure that BR knew they didn't.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The residents in those flats definitely didn't love the smell of diesel fumes at any time of day - and they always seemed to be keen to make sure that BR knew they didn't.

i was thinking that with combination of the fumes and the throbbing of the idling engines, it must have been a pretty horrible place to live for non-enthusiasts.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Old Oak Common open day shuttle, 20th September 1981, by Kevin Lane.

Yes, 43 years ago 😮

Royal Oak

I was on one of these-does anyone by any chance have a list of the stock used for the shuttle?

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Old Oak Common open day shuttle, by Kevin Lane. 

Royal Oak

I was on one of these-does anyone by any chance have a list of the stock used for the shuttle?

Regrettably not.  i think we simply used one of the available Old Oak sets.   I don't think  the stock Circuit No. was shown on the Notice and i didn't keep a copy of it so can't check.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/07/2024 at 15:57, woodenhead said:

And another one, this time with passengers on board, an XC service in the 1980s.  How common was it for a HST to operate with a single unit.

Take it this would have been unlikely to have just come up the Lickey? - not too familiar with BHM layout.

What was/is the ruling on 1xPC out HST sets on that bank in any case? 

On 23/07/2024 at 12:44, WessexEclectic said:

Take it this would have been unlikely to have just come up the Lickey? - not too familiar with BHM layout.

What was/is the ruling on 1xPC out HST sets on that bank in any case? 

If it has come from Reading then it will have gone via Leamington, if it's come from Bristol it would have been up Lickey, back then there would have been 37s stationed for banking if it needed it.  If it has come from Derby then it's fine descending Lickey via Five Ways.

Edit: of course if it was banked it would need a buckeye coupler on the banking engine as it's a HST coach so no buffers!

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Regrettably not.  i think we simply used one of the available Old Oak sets.   I don't think  the stock Circuit No. was shown on the Notice and i didn't keep a copy of it so can't check.

And Derek 'Fangs' Dyer was one of the fireman on those shuttles that day Mike.

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

It looks like 7 MK1 TSOs and what looks like a MK2 brake vehicle of some description. 

Would that have been one of the Paddington commuter rakes? Maybe an Oxford or Newbury rake?

Edit: a trawl of flickr has revealed it's a BFK at the London end next to 5051.

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, rodent279 said:

It looks like 7 MK1 TSOs and what looks like a MK2 brake vehicle of some description. 

Would that have been one of the Paddington commuter rakes? Maybe an Oxford or Newbury rake?

Edit: a trawl of flickr has revealed it's a BFK at the London end next to 5051.

Most likely one of the Old Oak 'excursion/specials' sets of which I think at least two still existed at that time. (They were withdrawn from Old Oak once the Inter City Special Trains Unit took over responsibility for them in the first half of the 1980s,)

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

"Withdrawn from Sutton Oak motive power depot (8G) in December 1966, it was reinstated in February 1967 and reallocated to Westhouses (16G) depot to fulfil the short-term loan contract at the colliery"

Williamthorpe Colliery 1967 by Gordon Edgar

Williamthorpe Jinty

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, montyburns56 said:

"Withdrawn from Sutton Oak motive power depot (8G) in December 1966, it was reinstated in February 1967 and reallocated to Westhouses (16G) depot to fulfil the short-term loan contract at the colliery"

Williamthorpe Colliery 1967 by Gordon Edgar

Williamthorpe Jinty

That’s some very unrealistic weathering, and the printed backscene doesn’t suit the foreground at all!

The foreground detail is quite convincingly modelled though. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

On 14/07/2024 at 22:08, 60B said:

I feel like Dumbarton Road comes up semi regularly. But there is a lot to take in here. Not sure I'd want to be in that car approaching the junction from an untreated road.

O'1299  Dumbarton Road Bridge nr Scotstown West Jc CA Jan 1978

Quite a catch, that. The old Tennent site is now a B&Q I think. I'm marrying an Airdrie lady so spent a lot of time tracing maps of Coatbridge/ Airdrie/ Motherwell/ Hamilton's industrial history. A lot of which is long forgotten/ built over but there are still hints when knowing where to look. I'm on the understanding her great grandfather was killed at Bairds of Gartsherrie in a shunting incident.

Researching the fascinating history of the Monkland Railway system became a passion of mine.  I even got round to building a rudimentary website on the subject.  Sadly the site was hit by a malicious software attack and had to be taken down.  Fortunately some of the pages were archived on the wayback machine though most of the photos have gone.  Still have them and the Research materials in the loft.

The remains of the site can he found here

http://web.archive.org/web/20050404011714/http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/monkland.htm

Jim

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Researching the fascinating history of the Monkland Railway system became a passion of mine.  I even got round to building a rudimentary website on the subject.  Sadly the site was hit by a malicious software attack and had to be taken down.  Fortunately some of the pages were archived on the wayback machine though most of the photos have gone.  Still have them and the Research materials in the loft.

The remains of the site can he found here

http://web.archive.org/web/20050404011714/http://www.jhowie.force9.co.uk/monkland.htm

Jim

This is great Jim! I walked into Airdrie town centre from the big Tesco near Whifflet station along a route that was part lost section of the Monkland canal, part the line towards Rossoloch works. Its incredible how much was there, how little there is now and just how forgotten this complex network is. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

7816 Frilsham Manor, allegedly in 1964, feasible because of the OHL warning plates.

7816 Frilsham Manor

Now what livery is that? Looking closely, there appears to be orange/black/orange lining on the cabside, so I'd suggest the loco is in scruffy BR lined green. The tender could be black, or even possibly pre-war GWR green, its impossible to tell.

Stick that on a layout next to a pristine diesel loco and some maroon stock!

Edit: the tender would not be in pre-war green as it would have the roundel. I don't believe any Manors ever carried "Great Western" on the tender, with or without crest, apart from one or two fictitious paint jobs post-preservation. It could be in either post-war black or green, but looks more like black to me.

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 13