Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 30/06/2024 at 15:42, hexagon789 said:

That's a CWN though, not the DMU diagram book.

I assume the CWN book only includes E&G diesel services and possibly Aberdeen/Inverness and Glasgow/Ayr/Stranraer.

I think in 1964 only the Gloucester 100s and Cravens 105s in Scotland had driving trailers, which would've been used only on local services and not included in the CWN.

Incorrect, these are from Passenger Train Marshalling Books - though it listed some of the MU codes these books did not include marshalling or workings for any of the MU stock but were purely for Loco-Hauled Stock.

It's worth noting that the ScR continued to call them PTM Book as did the LMR whilst others like the ER copied what they'd done from LNER days and called them CWN's all were effectively the same thing giving the workings of the Loco-Hauled Stock.  Interestingly the WR (I blame it on Stationmaster :) ) also included MU workings but for neither stock type gave the old Telegraphic codes.

Edited by Bob Reid
Spelling and additional note.
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, cctransuk said:

The crosses were commonplace on LMR breakdown vehicles - could they indicate which vehicles carried first aid equipment?

CJI.

My recollection is I read somewhere that the white cross showed where the handbrake is inside the vehicle.

Andrew 

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

It has a strong hint of one of them about it!  I'm a bit more interested in where it is as the scene has a hint of familiarity although i can't place it.

it's definitely redolent of my childhood. I'd have been sitting on the back seat of the car with a bottle of pop and a packet of crisps.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Derek 19B said:

Great train robbery?

Definitely not Derek - it's somewhere around Maidenhead I think with the D600 heading west on the down main, the location looks similar to the on used in the black and white Miss Marple film 'Murder She Said' which showed D603 heading west.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

Definitely not Derek - it's somewhere around Maidenhead I think ...

It's not their fault they do not know
The birdsong from the radio,
It's not their fault they often go
To Maidenhead

And talk of sport and makes of cars
In various bogus-Tudor bars
And daren't look up and see the stars
But belch instead.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Bob Reid said:

Incorrect, these are from Passenger Train Marshalling Books - though it listed some of the MU codes these books did not include marshalling or workings for any of the MU stock but were purely for Loco-Hauled Stock.

It's worth noting that the ScR continued to call them PTM Book as did the LMR whilst others like the ER copied what they'd done from LNER days and called them CWN's all were effectively the same thing giving the workings of the Loco-Hauled Stock.  Interestingly the WR (I blame it on Stationmaster :) ) also included MU workings but for neither stock type gave the old Telegraphic codes.

I have a Scottish Region one which lists MU workings on Glasgow to Stranraer.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Looks like it - back in the days when drinking and driving was commonplace.

Cheers

Darius

He'll be up the bankside in no time and in the seat of the 600!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Definitely not Derek - it's somewhere around Maidenhead I think with the D600 heading west on the down main, the location looks similar to the on used in the black and white Miss Marple film 'Murder She Said' which showed D603 heading west.

14 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

Is it the former pub near the A4 bridge at the site of the original Maidenhead station?

4 hours ago, rodent279 said:

I like a challenge like this! I think you've cracked it, and it has a history as well.

https://www.maidenhead.net/history/old-stn.html

Yes However Nidge has gone slightly adrift as it was on the Maidenhead side of the bridge where the A4 passes under the railway.  And that was what was nagging at my mind because the position of the building was wrong for the Down side which would have put it east of the bridge (where the 'Murder She said', and various other film footage including some in 'The Last Journey', was shot).

But it wouldn't fit there for two reasons - the only building that could have been the pub stood parallel to the road and at the time that photo was taken the WR, formerly GWR, Road Motor Driver training school was between the building and the railway and was still in operation complete with its road layout.

Thus the photo des not show the Down side but shows the D6XX on an Up train.  I suspect that the train is on the Up Main because had it been on the Up Relief the running gear would be fully visible from that viewpoint.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

I have a Scottish Region one which lists MU workings on Glasgow to Stranraer.

If you join this group there are dozens of Carraige Working books in pdf format to download. https://brcoachingstock.groups.io/g/main

As an aside for years I thought SPV  was Special Parcels Van, not Small Parcels Van (or Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle)

• Funny 4

2 hours ago, luckymucklebackit said:

If you join this group there are dozens of Carraige Working books in pdf format to download. https://brcoachingstock.groups.io/g/main

As an aside for years I thought SPV  was Special Parcels Van, not Small Parcels Van (or Spectrum Pursuit Vehicle)

Was that another Captain Scarlet reference sneaked in there ? :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Yes However Nidge has gone slightly adrift as it was on the Maidenhead side of the bridge where the A4 passes under the railway.  And that was what was nagging at my mind because the position of the building was wrong for the Down side which would have put it east of the bridge (where the 'Murder She said', and various other film footage including some in 'The Last Journey', was shot).

But it wouldn't fit there for two reasons - the only building that could have been the pub stood parallel to the road and at the time that photo was taken the WR, formerly GWR, Road Motor Driver training school was between the building and the railway and was still in operation complete with its road layout.

Thus the photo des not show the Down side but shows the D6XX on an Up train.  I suspect that the train is on the Up Main because had it been on the Up Relief the running gear would be fully visible from that viewpoint.

Yes, certainly an Up train, and I bow to The Station Master’s suggestion that it could be on the Up Main.   Used to drink in that pub during the late ‘60s/early ‘70s after Thursday night meetings of the Maidenhead and District MRC which held meetings and had a layout in one of the rooms of Taplow Station, on the Up Relief platform.

• Like 2

On 05/07/2024 at 19:27, Morello Cherry said:

When you fancy something a bit bigger for your industrial shelf layout. Just need to check the minimum radius curves first.

R4618.  Witbank Colliery 4-10-2T No.1.  9th September,1972.

One for the Pugbash&Jintystein thread methinks :)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 06/07/2024 at 16:17, montyburns56 said:

I was surprised to see such a traditional mixed freight train at this date and it got me wondering when were the last regular short wheelbase van trains? (not including the VEA trains for MOD sites).

Stainforth 1983 by David Chamberlain

25320 Stainforth

I don't know the answer. However as the vans appear to be all vanwides, the vans that became VEA on conversion to air braking, could they and the opens be for MOD traffic?

Andrew 

21 hours ago, Sitham Yard said:

I don't know the answer. However as the vans appear to be all vanwides, the vans that became VEA on conversion to air braking, could they and the opens be for MOD traffic?

Andrew 

Yes, they could be, but I was just curious about what non-MOD traffic was still using these type of vans.

• RMweb Premium

Could be commercial explosives. Here's a Truro to St Blaizey in 1981 with two gunpowder wagons alongside at Vanwide (VEV)

Truro East 37142 1455 Truro Yard - St Blazey 030681

(ACTON WELLS JUNCTION on Flickr)

• Like 18
  • Informative/Useful 1