Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

A smart looking Class 50.

An interesting picture (to me!) with fond memories! This is Newton Abbot prior to the MAS being installed (70s) Two tracks all gone. Now the car park. The coaches in the background were used as storage for David and Charles book warehouse. They were painted in black and yellow. Does anybody know where the three coaches went?

One of the large ganrties (not that one in the picture above) has been preserved and is currently covered in scaffolding which is good to see that it is being cared for.

Newtongantry.jpg.687778a796b0205096695091ecf95ee0.jpg

Edited by Re6/6
punctuation
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

Even better, how about GUVs working with an electric loco and Mk3 push-pull set? The vans were always on the rear of the train on the daytime service.

The Motorail vans were attached to the rear of the loco, rather than the rear of the train. On North bound trains they were between the loco and the train:

28185960496_5931ce32c8.jpg

87020 Lancaster 12-7-90 by John Dedman, on Flickr

The other alternative was when the remote controls in the DVT weren't working. On a south bound service (which would normally have the DVT leading), you'd have the loco with the GUV attached to the rear of the train.

50237268386_ff87ee7b42.jpg

RNT107-33 by Robert Catterson, on Flickr

I've never seen a picture of a train with GUVs attached to the pointy end of the Mk3 DVT.

Steven B

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Steven B said:

The Motorail vans were attached to the rear of the loco, rather than the rear of the train. On North bound trains they were between the loco and the train:

28185960496_5931ce32c8.jpg

87020 Lancaster 12-7-90 by John Dedman, on Flickr

The other alternative was when the remote controls in the DVT weren't working. On a south bound service (which would normally have the DVT leading), you'd have the loco with the GUV attached to the rear of the train.

50237268386_ff87ee7b42.jpg

RNT107-33 by Robert Catterson, on Flickr

I've never seen a picture of a train with GUVs attached to the pointy end of the Mk3 DVT.

Steven B

Your first picture was taken before the full introduction of the DVTs. I do have a picture of a Mk3 + DVT rake with the Motorail GUVs attached behind the DVT. Not sure if I can post it here due to copyright, but it's on page 32 of issue 210 of Modern Locomotives Illustrated. The GUVs were at the rear of the train as, when they arrived in Glasgow, a second loco attached the unloading wagon and then moved the GUVs and unloading wagon across to another platform adjacent to the vehicle ramps. They also sometimes dropped GUVs at Carlisle which required them to be at the rear. 

This photo doesn't show the GUVs behind the DVT, but it is described as the motorail service arriving into Carlisle, and the GUVs are clearly not behind the loco. Also shows the unloading wagon with an 08 ready to perform the duties. 

Motorail Arrival.

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

Though FGW did resurrect a short-lived Motorail service as part of the Night Riviera from 1999-2005.

They also tried a daytime service. Not sure how long this ran for, but the photo is dated 2001.

47815 240601

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
16 minutes ago, Mol_PMB said:

That unloading wagon is quite something!

I wonder if anyone's ever modelled it?

Yeah, they're pretty cool. Converted from Weltrol wagons, there were 5. Two each at Euston, and Glasgow, and one at Carlisle. Bachmann make a weltrol wagon that looks like it might be the right sort, but I'm not sure if it's exactly the right diagram. 

Contraption.

https://www.departmentals.com/photo/96453-2

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 3

23 hours ago, woodenhead said:

@montyburns56 Might they have been fulfilling their purpose and carrying cars?

Probably parcels but wondering if there was still some small volume of car carrying on long distance even if not a full motorail one.

I can't see any Motorail markings on them and weren't the Motorail vehicles generally marshalled at the back of the train for easy removal at the destination? I suspect that they are just being used for luggage/parcel conveyance on secondary services. 

20 hours ago, Artless Bodger said:

I wonder if the GUVs on trains from Penzance were carrying vegetables? I was at Penzance station around easter 1977 and saw farm tractors and trailers drawn up on the platform, loading crates of brassicas into a GUV on a passenger train. 

Ahh, now we know what the V in GUV stands for...

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

22 hours ago, Rivercider said:

There were still some GUVs used for cars into the 1980s.

1V75 07.00 Newcastle - Bristol was one, the GUV next to the loco was shunted to the Motorail dock on arrival.

Here is a Flickr photo by John Whitehouse December 1981.

Snow Joke

45103 passing Longbridge, by John Whitehouse

cheers

10 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

I can't see any Motorail markings on them and weren't the Motorail vehicles generally marshalled at the back of the train for easy removal at the destination? I suspect that they are just being used for luggage/parcel conveyance on secondary services. 

See earlier post

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, woodenhead said:

@montyburns56 Might they have been fulfilling their purpose and carrying cars?

Probably parcels but wondering if there was still some small volume of car carrying on long distance even if not a full motorail one.

Basically parcels and/or Parcel Post (for as long as the latter lasted).

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Re6/6 said:

An interesting picture (to me!) with fond memories! This is Newton Abbot prior to the MAS being installed (70s) Two tracks all gone. Now the car park. The coaches in the background were used as storage for David and Charles book warehouse. They were painted in black and yellow. Does anybody know where the three coaches went?

May 1987

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This image on Flickr by "Alax46" shows a "GUVs atop DVT" arrangement, however it's on a diverted-via-ECML service, so everything would have been a bit screwy.   More info in the caption - click through the photo.

86206 "City of Stoke On Trent" 1438 "Motorail" service from Edinburgh - Euston.  Widdrington. 17th April 1993

While we're at it, here's a related fun shunt move, by David Ford:

Carlisle 08910 shunting Motorail vand  30th May 90 C14521

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, 25kV said:

This image on Flickr by "Alax46" shows a "GUVs atop DVT" arrangement, however it's on a diverted-via-ECML service, so everything would have been a bit screwy.   More info in the caption - click through the photo.

86206 "City of Stoke On Trent" 1438 "Motorail" service from Edinburgh - Euston.  Widdrington. 17th April 1993

This is the only photo I've seen of a Mk3 set with the motorail GUVs attached to the DVT.

I'd like to see any images of the GUV behind the DVT with the loco at the other end; It's not a combination I've seen.

Steven B

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Steven B said:

This is the only photo I've seen of a Mk3 set with the motorail GUVs attached to the DVT.

I'd like to see any images of the GUV behind the DVT with the loco at the other end; It's not a combination I've seen.

Steven B

Could they do that though? Were the GUVs TDM wired?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steven B said:

Steven B

They definitely did run in this fashion, but only for a couple of years right at the end of motorail workings. And people tend to just take photos of the loco, not the whole train, so pictures are rare. As I said there is a photo in a magazine, I'm still searching for an online version. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Could they do that though? Were the GUVs TDM wired?

No, they weren't - anytime the GUVs are 'inside', the train can only be hauled, loco at the front.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Posted (edited)
On 23/05/2024 at 15:16, Steven B said:

Steven B

I would imagine this was the standard formation loco at Scottish end DVT at the london end with 1st class and motorail GUVs taged on the end to make it easy to take off and shunt at stations further north.

Edited by e30ftw
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

This picture is labelled as Reddish Car Shops, but I can't work out if that means that it's Reddish Depot?

32 46501 engineers saloon Reddish car shops

Obviously an inspection coach, but based on what?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Obviously an inspection coach, but based on what?

It's M45045M, a standard Dia 2046 District Engineer's Saloon. built Wolverton 1940.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4