Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

• RMweb Gold
On 10/01/2023 at 21:19, keefer said:

Otherwise known as the 'Tribometer Train' and consisted of

Lab 11 RDB975046, COV-AB RDB999900 and 'Auto-trailer' RDB975076 - usually hauled by R&D dept's own loco.

http://www.traintesting.com/tribometer_train.htm

'Waverley West' on RMweb has modelled this.

Very modellable.

• Like 1

Here's one we prepared earlier...

John Freeth - A2 at Exeter Central - A2 60532 Blue Peter (now preserved) has arrived at Exeter Central station with the LCGB ‘A2 Commemorative Railtour’ from Waterloo on Sunday 14 August 1966. It was two hours late having run out of steam on Honiton Bank and is seen here backing down to Exmouth Junction shed.

A2 at Exeter Central

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Agreed, those vehicles had been in the main train until c.1977 when the Mk3 saloons and the Mk2b Power brake/ brake couchette were introduced. The three Mk1 Royal vehicles were probably still front-line too (one of these is the third coach).

All of this meant the withdrawal, or more secondary use, of the ex-LMS (and older) vehicles (first and second coaches in this train).

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

That looks like the Shark & Stanier Brake Van from Rocks by Rail.

I think that it must have been earlier than 2018, though, as I don't think that Ketton have had locos on site for a good few years now.

I may, of course, be wrong.

Regards

Ian

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Ian Smeeton said:

That looks like the Shark & Stanier Brake Van from Rocks by Rail.

I think that it must have been earlier than 2018, though, as I don't think that Ketton have had locos on site for a good few years now.

I may, of course, be wrong.

Regards

Ian

It looks like the date is correct if this page here is also accurate for the Ketton Osprey express:

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~mwaller/travels/2018/2018-07-01.html

Simon

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Midsomer Norton Colliery by Phil Waterfield

Nice Hat !

I am no fan of 'kettles', but this photograph - presumably because of its colour - makes the scene look surreal/ other-worldly.  Quite beautiful.  Thank you.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

40 minutes ago, C126 said:

I am no fan of 'kettles', but this photograph - presumably because of its colour - makes the scene look surreal/ other-worldly.  Quite beautiful.  Thank you.

Railway folk lore rule number 1 : the S&D existed in a world of its own! I like to imagine what it would have been like if the WR hadn't run it down and instead dieselised the entire line, it could have been run using Hymeks, Warships and NBL Type 2s... now there's an idea fro a layout... 😉

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

Railway folk lore rule number 1 : the S&D existed in a world of its own! I like to imagine what it would have been like if the WR hadn't run it down and instead dieselised the entire line, it could have been run using Hymeks, Warships and NBL Type 2s... now there's an idea fro a layout... 😉

To be truly authentic it would need to be a Midland allocated class 25 piloting a class 33.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Rugd1022 said:

...... which is how I sometimes operate my Evercreech Junction-ish layout.

Imagine a row of Hymek and NB Type 2 pilots in the centre road ....

CJI.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 12/01/2023 at 21:05, Blackthorn said:

I saw 9516 at Didcot in 2017 and was surprised what a well proportioned machine it was. Such a shame BR wrote the 14's so quickly, at least they found success in private hands. BR's short sightedness with the hydraulics again, not to mention some of the steam classes!!!!!

Not as short-sighted as some would have us believe.

Especially if one reads Tony Sayers book on the class.

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Allegedly Barnsley - so what is a J38 doing there?  Edit: Sorry zoomed in, it is a J39!  Its hard to see the splashers.

It is Barnsley, the GC shed adjacent to Barnsley Exchange station,and as you note that's a J39 with very grubby splashers lost in the muck! A lot less prominent than on the Bachmann OO model.

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Sitham Yard said:

Is it not just that the discs were left opened after being repainted?

Andrew 

Very possibly, but I think Nearholmer was being humorous :) !

I certainly chuckled at the prospect of the CoBo failing somewhere in a run down part of the country and imagining Prince Philip's reaction upon swishing back the royal curtains!!!! 

On 13/12/2022 at 19:01, montyburns56 said:

Unknown location 1969

c.1969 - unknown location.

Usual move propelled down from Bath Road , usually shunter waiting to signal forward onto train looks on this occasion not ready and train crew gone in cabin . 6A27 1100 Malago Vale to Old Oak

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2