Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

On 31/10/2022 at 14:22, Nearholmer said:

That will be going impressively slowly!

Bound for Tolworth Coal Concentration Depot would be my guess.

Brake tenders were standard issue on those trains until fitted wagons arrived I think. We also used to see Peaks coming from Brent to Norwood with brake tenders, and I think I recall an Acton to Norwood train with a Western and a brake tender.

Several of the last brake tenders in use were "Return to Acton" https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/braketender/e3f94dcfd

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MartinRS said:

Here is an earlier photo (c1905) showing the same structure.

Canonbie station 1905.jpg

Looks like a somewhat shorter vehicle body.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to arrive late to @40152 's 'font query', but I photographed these at Haywards Heath.  I, too, am fond of it, and associate it with the 1950's.

PICT2686.JPG.7b1fb2bae016e6d3cbf2bb33e97a3076.JPG

PICT2687.JPG.7c1e9e0794a2de04200f571b503bbba8.JPG

I thought it unusual to see the 'lower case' in the first picture.  I fell in love with Havant's gently decaying North Street Arcade in 1997, which used it as well.  Sorry to steer this thread so far off topic.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

I'd say it's the same but re-boarded with horizontal boards, this has the effect of changing the perspective (if that's the right word)

I have a book in the loft featuring this station and line, I'll try and dig it out later to see if there are any comments regarding this vehicle.

10 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

I'd say it's the same but re-boarded with horizontal boards, this has the effect of changing the perspective (if that's the right word)

The roof looks a lot longer and extends further past the station doorway in the later pictures, so I'd say that it has been replaced or extended at some point.

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

The roof looks a lot longer and extends further past the station doorway in the later pictures, so I'd say that it has been replaced or extended at some point.

I'd say extended where the window opening is. If you compare the end to the postcard, it is the same van.

Canonbie_End.jpeg.1e4d63f38c65d6c32905f2c1582aa9c4.jpeg

• Agree 2

21 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

I'm speculating, perhaps wrongly, that the markings are instructions to the workshop for whatever work was about to be done.

Derby Litchurch Lane 1977

272_1977_08_Derby

Conversion to all First?

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
On 08/09/2022 at 19:11, montyburns56 said:

Wednesfield Road Goods Depot

EBR14-037

revisiting this post from September, a similar view today while stood at the signal on the mainline, the old photo was taken a bit further up the line but I couldn’t get a pic from there obviously! 

52E7C811-1A91-431A-BAC3-0B66F596093C.jpeg.4ff8c3576b1f85541f68595d1f5e6702.jpeg

• Like 9

1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Kemp Town Station 1964 by Ian Nolan

Kemp Town Station, 22 Mar 1964

Kemp Town Station, 22 Mar 1964

Kemp Town Station, 22 Mar 1964Kemp Town Station, 22 Mar 1964Kemp Town Station, 22 Mar 1964

Kemp Town Station, 22 Mar 1964Kemp Town Station, 1 Oct 1967

Does anyone remember Barker and Dobson sweets?

No, but these remind me of "The Professionals" (Operation Susie) episode. 

• RMweb Premium

It looks like there are still some PO markings on the last wagon, which is pretty amazing for 1962.

Stanhope 1962

1769 65735 Stanhope station 04-05-62 (IS Carr) 188

Not really - I can recall at this time a closed line with literally miles of withdrawn and stored wooden mineral wagons. A significant number had the remains of their former PO livery, as it was very unusual for such wagons to be repainted between Nationalisation and withdrawal.

CJI.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

It looks like there are still some PO markings on the last wagon, which is pretty amazing for 1962.

Stanhope 1962

1769 65735 Stanhope station 04-05-62 (IS Carr) 188

Great photo. It was a Settle Speakman & Co. Ltd of Stoke wagon by the looks of things.

A similar 8 RCH 8 plank is shown here in the HMRS collection:

https://hmrs.org.uk/aag324-settle-speakman-ex-13t-8-plank-s-e-b-door-p161812-wooden-solebars-settle-speakman-stoke-staff.html

Regards,

Simon

• Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

Not really - I can recall at this time a closed line with literally miles of withdrawn and stored wooden mineral wagons. A significant number had the remains of their former PO livery, as it was very unusual for such wagons to be repainted between Nationalisation and withdrawal.

CJI.

Totally agree. Repainting of wood framed opens was only first permitted towards the end of 1959 - although some were done earlier (how this was paid for I have no idea, it was forbidden). The wagon in this photo may only have been painted 20 years before, plenty of wagons didn't (and don't) get repainted in 30 or 40 years. 

Paul

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1