Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

2 hours ago, KeithMacdonald said:

and an egg box van?

Brake van, I think, although it may also have carried eggs for all I know.

it looks like one of the Stanier 50ft BGs, which were common on milk trains up to London.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

Brake van, I think, although it may also have carried eggs for all I know.

it looks like one of the Stanier 50ft BGs, which were common on milk trains up to London.

Is it? Or is it a LMS 6wh BZ? Also popular as brake vans on West Country milks. 

Paul

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Nearholmer said:

I considered that possibility, but I think I can see the glint of two axle boxes on a bogie. Think, mind you, not swear; it could be the glint of two spring hangers.

Yes OK, I thought it looked too short but there looks like there are two lights between the double doors and the look out, and it has less roof ventilators than a BZ. 

Paul

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Llynclys Quarry Branch, Oswestry 1973

FMCCS175 5080 Llynclys Quarry Branch Oswestry in 1973

what fascinates me about this pic is if you look on street view the later crossing signage is still in place, I do vaguely remember the tracks still being in situ in about 1988-89 too, it’s on a bend too so I could imagine coming round the corner at speed only to see a train in the road would have been a bit of a squeaky bum moment! 

27E51BCD-00EB-4434-A99C-94EECDDFF874.jpeg.4cddd32e028911bea9a3a9974dfc8705.jpeg

Edited by big jim
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

We encountered something similar in France, dense woods both sides of the road, tiny and very discreet “crossbucks”, and then a whopping great loco (actually quite small by French standards) and a string of timber wagons crept out of the hedge into the middle of the road. Fortunately the road was straight, with good sighting distances. When we got close, it was possible to see an old crossing keeper’s house among the trees, but the track was completely obscured by tall grass.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, big jim said:

what fascinates me about this pic is if you look on street view the later crossing signage is still in place, I do vaguely remember the tracks still being in situ in about 1988-89 too, it’s on a bend too so I could imagine coming round the corner at speed only to see a train in the road would have been a bit of a squeaky bum moment! 

27E51BCD-00EB-4434-A99C-94EECDDFF874.jpeg.4cddd32e028911bea9a3a9974dfc8705.jpeg

Tracks are still there; periodically the road gets new tarmac over them, but wear and tear means the rails still show after a bit.

Cambrian Heritage Railways want to reopen the line, but they're not allowed to have this level crossing. I gather they've been told it needs replacing with a bridge.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

9 hours ago, Ben B said:

Tracks are still there; periodically the road gets new tarmac over them, but wear and tear means the rails still show after a bit.

Cambrian Heritage Railways want to reopen the line, but they're not allowed to have this level crossing. I gather they've been told it needs replacing with a bridge.

That is just crazy, the need for a bridge.  Its not like a heritage railway will be running HSTs...

7 minutes ago, TheEngineShed said:

That is just crazy, the need for a bridge.  Its not like a heritage railway will be running HSTs...

Council passing the buck. Why don't THEY build a bridge over the railway? 

On balance, if this was near where I lived, I’d rather have all the railway enthusiasts run cake stalls or whatever to raise the funds, than pay for it through council tax, which can’t stretch far enough to cover the things the council is already obliged to provide.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

4 minutes ago, hexagon789 said:

Money?

Councils aren't exactly flush with it and there are arguably far more deserving causes that are well ahead in line.

That was a bit tongue in cheek! But if a line opens and brings in jobs and tourism, it's good for everyone surely. Trouble is, people are afraid to make the leap, speculate to accumulate I say...quick to point out the problems but slooooow with a solution. Claim the expenses and hope to be voted in next polling day.....

7 minutes ago, 33C said:

That was a bit tongue in cheek! But if a line opens and brings in jobs and tourism, it's good for everyone surely. Trouble is, people are afraid to make the leap, speculate to accumulate I say...quick to point out the problems but slooooow with a solution. Claim the expenses and hope to be voted in next polling day.....

I think I was a bit harsh worded there, but I'm thinking of basic practicalities.

While I too would dearly love to see all the projects come to fruition, councils just don't have the cash to spare.

Many have closed libraries, leisure centres or reduced hours, cut back on road maintenance etc.

It might be fairer at present to at the very least have the railway at least partly fund such a project through donations. 

• Agree 1

I was questioning the need for a bridge, either railway or road.  What would be wrong with lights and a crossing gate?  Seems far cheaper than a bridge, and it is hard to believe the road traffic would be disrupted with a couple of closures an hour, if there would even by that much rail traffic.  Heritage Railways don't operate much in the winter anyway...

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, TheEngineShed said:

I was questioning the need for a bridge, either railway or road.  What would be wrong with lights and a crossing gate?  Seems far cheaper than a bridge, and it is hard to believe the road traffic would be disrupted with a couple of closures an hour, if there would even by that much rail traffic.  Heritage Railways don't operate much in the winter anyway...

Exactly, but they will quote "'elf 'n' safty", chapter and verse. I could rant about councils and the way they spend our money   for a week but I think we should leave it there and get back to the cracking photo's from Flickr!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I don't think new level crossings are allowed, are they? And I think that's the right way to go. Modern roads & rail don't really mix,  and car drivers keep showing time & again that they can't use them safely. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Thing is, at Llynclys it's a tricky spot for a bridge; I don't think from memory that theres room with the nearby houses for either road or railway to have new, high approach embankments. It would be a vast capital outlay for 4 pacers or a barclay tank+3 mk.1's a day in the summer...

It's probably academic anyway, as the more pressing concern is nearer Oswestry, where the mothballed line crosses a bypass on the level. Sorting that out gives the railway a link to a mainline interchange at Gobowen, and will probably take 2 decades and cost many millions to do.

As regards Llynclys though, I can't imagine a rebuilt level crossing will be any more dangerous than the nearby crossroads, which in my experience can be pretty damned lethal, and despite the traffic whizzing by there seems to have no requirement for traffic lights...

2 hours ago, rodent279 said:

I don't think new level crossings are allowed, are they? And I think that's the right way to go. Modern roads & rail don't really mix,  and car drivers keep showing time & again that they can't use them safely. 

There is no outright ban, but the standards required now means that arguably building a bridge is easier than going through all the necessary legal stages.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, hexagon789 said:

There is no outright ban, but the standards required now means that arguably building a bridge is easier than going through all the necessary legal stages.

The Office of Rail and Road (which I just found out about) has a case study for 'Heritage level crossings' and has a policy for 'New or reinstated level crossings'. I don't have time to watch/read either.