Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

To be fair the person posting the images says the following on the main page:

This collection of photographs, are scans of slides, which I acquired several years ago, when a friend, Alan Wheeler passed away.

I unfortunately have no knowledge of original photographers / copyright holders, of the images. So if there is an issue with any of these images, please get in touch.

I have posted whatever information is written on the slides, where it is. If you can help with details of numbers, train details, dates etc. Please comment and let me know.

Looking through the photos there are a lot around Woking etc which I suspect are original and I suspect that some of the more unique, better quality or older images may well be slides that were bought? My guess is that if you see something that you think shouldn't be there then let the person posting the pictures know.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Morello Cherry said:

I've come across a really interesting if somewhat ecletic but poorly labelled collection of colour photos (a couple of shots included as a taster) - I don't know if these are the collector's own photographs or collected photographs, but they date from late 1930s to early 2000s. I would not describe them as the 'best' photos but the collection is (to me) interesting for the sheer range of things included

Alan Wheeler Collection

Liverpool Overhead Railway Set 20, James Street, October 1956

Indeed, there's some nice rare and interesting pictures that you probably wouldn't find using the Flick search engine such as these.....

WR Pannier with ex-LMS 42ft van and SR Bulleid coaches on the Weymouth Tramway.

52392839884_7601d56618_b.jpg

If one of the smaller manufacturers are looking for your next oddball shunter to produce. And one was preserved so.... 

Class D2/11 0-4-0 D2999

D2999

Bulleid Leader under construction I presume...

Bulleid 0-6-0+0-6-0T Leader class locomotive 36001

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

There are many more railwayphotos around taken by Mr Perrier, try searching using ‘dufaycolor’.

What a fascinating collection. It includes a 1938 shot of Paddington station, which is the only colour photo I have yet found of a GWR bench in the grouping era.

It's  a pity that many of the photos have sharing disabled, so the links can't be shared.

51 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

"North British Railway 4-4-0 loco No. 218 is seen at Melrose. The GWR coach is taking the Chairman of the GWR to the West Highlands for his annual holiday"

North British Railway 4-4-0 loco No. 218 is seen at Melrose. The GWR coach is taking the Chairman of the GWR to the West Highlands for his annual holiday.  NBR luggage van is on the rear, date unknown. (R W Lynn collection).

by Kenneth Williamson

Any idea of the date then we could see which chairman it was.

Keith

• RMweb Premium

I remember reading about the South African Railways 50kV electric locos for the very long iron ore trains - there was a locker on the loco for a bike/moped, to be used if the train needed inspecting en-route.

EDIT: it was the Class 9E - Wikipedia article

"The battery boxes and the main air reservoirs are mounted between the bogies beneath the frame, where a compartment houses a small motor scooter for use by the crew for lineside inspections of the train, which can be up to nearly 4 kilometres (2.5 miles) long."

Also very interesting for the use of combined electric + diesel-electric traction loco 'sets' distributed through the train length.

Edited by keefer
  • Informative/Useful 2

18 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

But what kind of coach is it pulling?

LNER post-war built non-corridor brake third. These Thompson design coaches were 52' long, similar to the Barry Railway vehicles they replaced. This presumably due to clearance restrictions on the line. Gas lighting was installed due to too low a speed limit for battery charging.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, rodent279 said:

EZW 323 137-0 mit einem Fotozug aus zwei G-Wagen im Elmsteiner Tal

I've heard of taking your bike by train, but this is ridiculous!

Not that ridiculous, nor unknown in this country!

47543767_J7768391BishopAuckland27-06-1953Photographerunknown.JPG.77536f4bf4be9188cc406ee289f650cb.JPG

J77 68391 Bishop Auckland 27-06-1953 (Photographer unknown).

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Nearholmer said:

If you follow the RMWeb cycling thread, you will see Jim doing the same now, carrying his bike in the cab of a 66.

Indeed so, but I think the unusual aspect in these photos is to see the bikes being carried 'externally' on the loco. I've seen a photo somewhere of a bike on top of the coal on a tender loco, and I guess that may well have been a more common occurrence, though perhaps not often photographed.

56 minutes ago, LMS2968 said:

It was common practice if the crew would be booking off at a different point to where they signed on.

As late as 1994, when Frethun yard was built, a sign-posted 'piste cyclable' was set out from there as far as Calais Ville; it is indicated in both French and English. I don't know if any UK crews have ever used it.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1