Interesting and inspiring photos from Flickr....

• RMweb Gold
On 02/10/2022 at 18:23, montyburns56 said:

Swindon Works 1965 by Ray Viney

Swindon Works c1965

Excellent picture,  is there any actual sound footage of a blue pullman horn as with 3 horns they possibly sounded like 90/91s but most footage and sound decoders have them sounding like a DMU 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, russ p said:

Excellent picture,  is there any actual sound footage of a blue pullman horn as with 3 horns they possibly sounded like 90/91s but most footage and sound decoders have them sounding like a DMU 

I'm sure it's heard in the BTF film Blue Pullman at least at one point pullimg off shed, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it sounded like. I used to have the film on tape, but on divesting myself of all VHS tapes and players, I never obtained a DVD copy to replace it so can't check.

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, 33C said:

Listen at the end!

Not heard that before sounds almost American.  Mind the amount of TV programs today which dub a US horn on a British train 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

Not my recollection of the Midland Pullman - which passed my secondary school on a daily basis.

I suspect that the horn sound was dubbed.

CJI.

Not necessarily. The old units I drove could sound either tone or both together and this sounded much like the tone in the film. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Workman's train Highworth 1961 by Ray Viney.

Highworth, 7 Sept 1961 (1)Highworth, 7 Sept 1961 (2)

So, this raises a question. Were these trains diagrammed for class 03 shunter haulage?

If so, were there any other regular diagrammed passenger turns for class 03/4 shunters (barring shunts of portions of trains, or shunt releases of stock)?

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

So, this raises a question. Were these trains diagrammed for class 03 shunter haulage?

If so, were there any other regular diagrammed passenger turns for class 03/4 shunters (barring shunts of portions of trains, or shunt releases of stock)?

There are other images of 03s on passenger stock at Highworth, so quite possibly.

There is a thread on the Highworth branch in the disused railways section and that suggests that there were one or two regular 03s in use.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, newbryford said:

There are other images of 03s on passenger stock at Highworth, so quite possibly.

There is a thread on the Highworth branch in the disused railways section and that suggests that there were one or two regular 03s in use.

Closing the line can't have saved much money, if it was retained for a basic service for works staff. Why not allow normal passengers to use it?

20 hours ago, rodent279 said:

Closing the line can't have saved much money, if it was retained for a basic service for works staff. Why not allow normal passengers to use it?

Perhaps it was because a public passenger service would require a higher level of safety protocols/staffing levels? 

• Informative/Useful 1

On 04/10/2022 at 20:26, rodent279 said:

this raises a question. Were these trains diagrammed for class 03 shunter haulage?

There's a little bit of mystery over this image. The Flickr author (probably in good faith) says

Highworth, 7 Sept 1961 - D2185 approaches Highworth with a workman’s train.

But according to BR Database, D2185 wasn't in service until 03/05/1962, and was first assigned to Danygraig (87C).

https://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=D&id=2185&loco=2185

How can we solve this puzzle?

Oh, here's the Highworth thread

Edited by KeithMacdonald
quotes

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

There's a little bit of mystery over this image. The Flickr author (probably in good faith) says

But according to BR Database, D2185 wasn't in service until 03/05/1962, and was first assigned to Danygraig (87C).

https://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=D&id=2185&loco=2185

How can we solve this puzzle?

Oh, here's the Highworth thread

A simple typo - D2195 WAS a regular Highworth performer.

CJI.

• Like 1