The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Big Jim’s attempt to become Slim Jim

big jim

• RMweb Gold

You probably got to Barmouth quicker than those stuck in a two mile jam which caused mayhem for the Traws Cymru bus yesterday, all thanks to temporary traffic lights by the Last Inn...

One of these days I will actually have a go at walking the bridge, I've only lived here 18 years so it must be about time I did it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

You probably got to Barmouth quicker than those stuck in a two mile jam which caused mayhem for the Traws Cymru bus yesterday, all thanks to temporary traffic lights by the Last Inn...

One of these days I will actually have a go at walking the bridge, I've only lived here 18 years so it must be about time I did it.

as it happens 2 static caravans came through the roadworks on the back of wagons it while I was there, caused chaos! 

I managed to cycle to the north end of the prom and back toward the town by the time I saw them on pass again on the road out of town 

Also i didn’t realise until yesterday that there is a footpath from the golf course to Morfa mawddach along the top of the embankment, must be fairly new 

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, big jim said:

as it happens 2 static caravans came through the roadworks on the back of wagons it while I was there, caused chaos!

Living in Cornwall, when travelling on the A30, I always wonder why all the westbound static caravans don't come to a mutually beneficial arrangement with all the eastbound static caravans.

The benefits for other drivers would be immense!

CJI.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, big jim said:

Also i didn’t realise until yesterday that there is a footpath from the golf course to Morfa mawddach along the top of the embankment, must be fairly new 

Yes and no...

There was a path before but the new path on the embankment dates from about 2008 when improved river flood defences were built, about the time Gwynedd announced the decision to remove the village due to climate change(!)  It's very popular and I often see cyclists using it.

• RMweb Gold

My £500 total has been passed so I’ve upped it to £650 now

My lad is off to a comic con in Chester tomorrow on the train with his mate and family and I’m tempted to go with them to Chester, have a look at making tracks then head off and ride to shotton and back on the old Dee marsh trackbed trail  

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ramped up the cycling this week, 70 miles down with just 30 to go to complete the challenge 

https://cyclethemonth.prostatecanceruk.org/fundraising/jims-got-fat-again-but-still-wants-to-raise-s

weight wise I’ve undone the weight gain I had thanks to my week away on the chip’s and beer and I’m down to 20.6 stone so exactly a stone lost since I restated my weight loss a couple of months ago, a lot slower this time round compared to 2021 but I’m feeling fitter at this weight than I did at the same weight back then 

IMG_9074.jpeg.6d06301d0fc3da14259708d5f7b24bd4.jpeg

hopefully can keep heading in the right direction and get below 20 again soon 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

For some reason my strava isn’t syncing with my just giving page but I’ve managed another 19.1 miles while I’ve been up in Scotland on a hired e-bike so I’m at 92 miles now, only 8 to go, the hire man said I can have the bike again tomorrow free of charge for a few hours get the last miles in if I want so I may take him up on the offer to get it boxed off before I go home 

fundraising has stalled at £575 but I’m more than happy with that as I was originally hoping to raise £250 so I’ve done better than expected 

Edited by big jim
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Stumbled across this thread last night and have read it through …

I’ve just done a week on a narrowboat with the family at the beginning of August, and both myself and the brother in law managed to rack up 13,000+ steps per day in the process! I was physically tired but not unduly so, and enjoyed the experience.

I also took a short break last week in London with a friend and, in comparison, only did around 8-10,000 steps per day but was seriously knackered at many points through the day, especially after climbing stairs (my nemesis!)

It’s reminded me - quite forcibly - that I am not healthy at all; I requested referral to the NHS Weight Management Team from my GP several months ago as I am overweight, and have been told I am on their list to be seen; my brain works in a way that if I am told by a medical expert what to do to lose weight, I’ll be able to do it, whereas picking and choosing between the many diets on offer simply confuses me!

Your thread, however, does strike a chord* in so many ways. I tried C25K a few years ago (pre-COVID, in fact, when I was lighter than I am now) but on my first attempt Sarah Millican nearly killed me! (Happened to be exactly 5k from the garage back to my house, so having dropped the car off for its service I confidently set off doing the warm up, brisk walk and first run… at the end of the first rest period, I was still doubled over and trying to get my breath back (unfortunately right outside a walk in medical centre), mentally cursing Sarah Millican and hitting the stop button on the app! I walked approx half way home and then the heavens opened, so got a taxi!) I absolutely hated cross country running at high school, and have never had much interest in any sport so jogging/running is still anathmea to me!

Where I live, every direction involves a steep road up, which might explain why I didn’t do much bike riding when I was younger (by the time you had ridden out of the village, you were knackered!! However, you’ve reminded me that I like riding a bike, so perhaps I should get myself one and give getting fit/losing weight another go!

Thanks for the inspiration - will follow with interest (and good luck with your fund raising)

Steve S

* I’m a music teacher! Ba-dum tish!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Big think you to the rmwebber who’s just donated £35 (you know who you are) I’ve now gone over the £600 mark so only £45 to go to reach my target, my dad has pledged £50 but hasn’t donated yet so I should break it once I hound him for it!

https://cyclethemonth.prostatecanceruk.org/fundraising/jims-got-fat-again-but-still-wants-to-raise-s

Still got the final 8 miles to go as I didn’t have a chance to have the hire bike foc as the guy promised as we went out for the day but I’ve got free time on Thursday so I’ll get them in then regardless of the weather, a trip to Nantwich pond and back will cover it but I wouldn’t mind trying to do a trackbed ride somewhere 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

And done, had a few errands to to so took the bike out and got a 9.5 mile ride in to complete the challenge taking the total to 104 miles and £665 miles raised 

IMG_9427.jpeg.a2d420d7b327b63aec8667f22d0550ca.jpeg

Thanks to all who have donated and no doubt I’ll do it again next year! 

• Round of applause 3