The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Big Jim’s attempt to become Slim Jim

big jim

• RMweb Gold

Got to the 700 mile in the bike earlier, ironbridge to Bridgnorth and back, went via the old trackbed and back via the hills with a 830ft steady climb 

63F8D074-063B-4EFE-A3AC-4E5B9005A291.jpeg.eb9b3f34fa4c07ad8799c5ee8b683558.jpeg

74EF09E3-070B-4C43-BE97-24B42B808D0F.jpeg.b97b711970fc55f8f71717d7f53d37d0.jpeg

082DCC03-81E8-4735-AF28-56DC759DEE91.jpeg.65e03d77fc49c9b915d50e65cfd7e1d4.jpeg

2A5B501C-8C43-45B6-8520-52B8B6944970.jpeg.7ec2a9e8d39f253e103e0f46be769a4c.jpeg

63CE66D5-19FE-4A11-BB79-6464A28D14D5.jpeg.fb424e094b05b8b71e32d7755fc85946.jpeg

bike needs a damn good wash now though, got to use it to get to basford hall later but will clean it tomorrow hopefully! 

1F99960F-BA1E-4686-A550-B3B0B62A112C.jpeg.24f693ecddc926d06ea3354486bbc0fa.jpeg

8D32D065-016C-41AA-A61B-87F52C443654.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

No I’m back home now, just decided to have a ride out as it was a nice day, if you see my work thread I combined it with a trip to telford steam railway which is only an hour from home so just over the hour to Ironbridge 

I’m just planning a ride for later this morning, I’ve got my rules in Bescot with marcus37 later so depending on the weather I may get the train to rugeley and ride from there over cannock chase to chasetown then take the old Lichfield to pleck line cycle track to just outside Walsall and on to bescot, 20 mile trip, if not I may do either new st to bescot or wolves to bescot both of which are 9 miles 

• Like 3

Well done on your weight loss Jim, it is hard work but you are smashing it. I lost 25kg a few years ago and have since lost a further 5Kg through diet and exercise. I pointed to a bag of cement in B&Q to my wife the other day and said, "try and pick that up, that is how much I was carrying on my body all the time". Not only do I physically feel fitter, mentally something clicked as well, I have been promoted 3 times since I lost weight and I put it down to the weight loss.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

Smashed the bike mileage today, had my rules in Bescot so caught the train to rugeley then rode via cannock chase and the mcclean way to walsall and on to bescot 

F1FAC533-0E23-4DA0-A64E-8723C7FDB664.jpeg.e574f3372bf13b8a46cfc16b24aad9f1.jpeg

after my rules I then rode into Birmingham via the towpath

CBB51269-225E-4B1F-AC88-389A4A4FF507.jpeg.a5a76dc1aa2db529092275596bd9b59e.jpeg

and then coming back the train went via alsager so I got off there and rode back via the salt line and wheelock trail 

1FBF29EB-5360-4C3C-AED4-00009B253334.jpeg.cdcd1b71814a9d66b3dc70ebdde7ca04.jpeg

Been meaning to do the salt line for a while so it was a good chance to get it done today! 

ive got pictures of the rides to put up but I’ll put them in my main work thread as they are railway related 

EDIT: ride pictures here……

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70783-jim’s-“out-and-about-with-gbrf”-thread/&do=findComment&comment=4553570

Edited by big jim
  • Like 4

What a great day, mixing work and health, with delightful places to see. with weather to match.  I couldn't help but notice that you passed your weekly distance target on the first trip, so the rest would be simple enjoyment of the delightful routes you rode.  Can't be bad.

I noted that you got the rules with Marcus and hope all is well with him and family, too.  I used to enjoy you two talking chasing each other round the country, with several hundred tons on your tails.  It certainly tickled the imagination.    :senile:

The link is a delight, full of information and great pictures.  It never ceases to amaze me how much there is to see, in this country of our's.  Thank you for the connection, much enjoyed.

• RMweb Gold

Inspired by this thread, I dug my (conventional) bike out of the garage the other day and went for a ride - I was knackered after 20 minutes!  I need to put a bit more effort into getting fitter I think...

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Fantastic progress Jim, you must be pleased with that and feel loads better as well. I enjoy seeing the pics of your cycle rides, you certainly visit some fine parts of the country. Keep up the good work and thanks for taking us on your journeys :good:

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Had a busy weekend in london and got lots of walking in (10+ miles) but also a lot of eating and a bit of drink so I’m fully expecting a weight gain tomorrow which I’m not too bothered about as it was nice to have a few days where counting points went out of window, I still kept count (within reason) but I’m expecting at least 3-4lb gain!

back to work tonight and back to the bike, I’m working out of bescot every night so I’m planning on going by train to wolves then riding to bescot from there then in the morning do the bescot to new st via the canal ride so those combined with the ride to and from crewe station should get me around 22 mile a day in I recon 

as for the bike I’ve been changing a few bits and bobs over for comfort 

I got a sprung gel seat off Amazon for £8 which at that price it’s worth a try to see if it feels comfier than the standard ‘razor blade’ it may be a bit wide for my liking though but I’ll see how I get on later 

463A680E-929E-48F1-8EC2-1D2AD443EB86.jpeg.8ab7228b37a307a707230a014ac702ee.jpeg

ive also swapped the rear rack out as I only use it with the pannier bag but I’ve got a small rucksack for work, no point lugging round the extra weight for nothing, I’ve replaced it with a full length mud guard, also put a bottle carrier on but that may not be any use as it’s right by the battery and there is little room to get a bottle in and out 

6DF15D51-28A7-4B42-9812-5C3A5E6F91BD.jpeg.1a7bc34f396ae77e7606140ed5335d13.jpeg

ergonomic grips 

05F4E528-0925-4B71-89EC-92A4D0ABE432.jpeg.f5e3d3d381784a6f6ab3fd8f5c943c56.jpeg

and a mirror that plug into the handlebar rather than strapped to the grip 

13ACC3C7-3730-49A4-81A0-C53D9E711959.jpeg.a88abaefe638e0468f7766db6946d559.jpeg

finally, I know it’s going to look tacky but as the nights begin to draw in I want to make myself visible so I’ve stuck some reflective strips in various places on the frame and reflective spoke covers on the wheels 

89E65BD3-5BFC-4DC3-9060-438FCA9CF5F3.jpeg.9b85ef297980129f36ba3af605334e29.jpeg

0852C25D-BA17-4A07-AE42-A46F26CF9854.jpeg.10ccf468d5afd42054a096a8fd31f72e.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Brilliant idea with the reflective strips - you can’t be too bright on a bike.  I’ve two sets of front and rear lights, one set with a steady beam, one set flashing.  I couldn’t get a mirror to fit on my bike, eventually got one which straps to the wrist like a watch, much to my suprise it works.

• RMweb Gold

First impression of the fixed mirror is it’s actually not as good as the strap on type I had attached to the grip as the lens isn’t concave so it’s a bit of a limited view but the other type won’t go on the ergonomic grip, also a bit paranoid about knocking it on something like a wall of gatepost, I may have a look at swapping the lens assembly with the concave one as it’s just a ball and socket arrangement on both, I have got a matching one for the other side but when I put it on it looked a bit daft, like one of those mobility scooters you sometimes see finished like a Harley Davidson! 

ive only done 2.5 mile so far tonight but the seat feels ok so far, may need to play about with the height a touch, the handgrips are a huge difference though, loads comfier on my wrists, the proof will be the towpath ride in the morning which is a bit rough in places 

Edited by big jim
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Being seen on the road is very important. Even in the day I have a red light on the back and a flashing light on the front.

I've only had one direct hit in all my years on the road. That was when I was cut up by a taxi on the A45 island for Birmingham International. Fortunately only minor injuries but the bike suffered a bit. 

I think he didn't see me because I was going to catch a train direct to a worksite and was wearing full Orange Army clothing.

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

That’s exactly how I’m dressed right now but  have already had someone pull out in front of me in the 2.5 mile I’ve ridden so far to the station!

a white van did it to me last week and I had to swerve to avoid him as he pulled out of a side road right into my path, anyway did the usual, shook my head, (he was bigger than me!) and let it be, anyway about 2 hours later in Nantwich we were going shopping in the car and on a roundabout in town the same van (it had a name and number in the side) almost hit us when he didn’t stop entering the roundabout we were already on, when I got alongside he was on his phone, the van was a vehicle recovery company, must have been drumming up business! 

To be honest since I’ve started cycling for business and pleasure I’ve got a lot more respect and time for ‘proper’ cyclists but it really winds me up when I see people (not just street tuffs and hoodlums) riding round at night with no lights or just as bad, just a rear light thinking it will help them be noticed, we get a lot of bikes like that in crewe as there are lots of warehouses and the workers live in the old railway works terraces in town so ride from the outskirts to the centre at 6am or 9pm at the start or end of their shifts 

Edited by big jim
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, big jim said:

we get a lot of bikes like that in crewe as there are lots of warehouses and the workers live in the old railway works terraces in town so ride from the outskirts to the centre at 6am or 9pm at the start or end of their shifts 

You should have tried riding along West Street at clocking off time in the 1960s. Made the Tour de France peloton look like a load of pussy cats.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Weigh in day and despite the pig out in london I’ve actually lost 1/2lb, not much but at least not a gain!

as for the bike, the seat seemed to be ok last night, got a couple of twinges in my bum cheeks riding home this morning but that probably just I’ve not ridden it for a few days and got straight on and rode 20 odd miles! 

I’m going to experiment with the mirror later, I couldn’t get the concave mirror to fit to replace the flat one but I’ve got a matching left handed mirror that I’ve put on the right side and spun the mirror round so the narrower teardrop edge of the lens is on the outside of the handlebar, last night all I could see in that part was my sleeve so I’m hoping it will show me a bit more of the road rather than my sleeve 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I’ve been following your progress, you are doing so well.  I don’t have so much to lose, but despite eating carefully and at least 100 miles on my bike a month I’m not getting any thinner.

Really like those reflective spokes - would be useful on my bike when riding home from work at dusk.  What did you use to make them?

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, ColinK said:

Really like those reflective spokes - would be useful on my bike when riding home from work at dusk.  What did you use to make them?

An Amazon account! 

just look for reflective spokes 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

End of week analysis, 

I’ve had a good week of exercising including the walk around Hampstead Heath and Highgate cemetery on Monday 

lots of cycling done to and from bescot and Wolverhampton and Birmingham new st, also did a 23 mile ride this afternoon as it was a lovely day

just had a run last thing this evening as I’ve done none at all for about 10 days, I had to drop the car off at a local garage and ran home, glad I did as I broke my 5k PB with a time of 41.03 which I’m happy with 

8AF41FD2-E9B6-40E5-8943-176C8A300BEC.jpeg.98a1145009a20ad08a12202248856b30.jpeg

9C5AD4CF-0EFD-467C-A842-BA12ECC61076.jpeg.b941924a03a2b88c8941190e97d8ace7.jpeg

Even saw a traction engine 

83F60D6B-3ED0-4709-BBE6-ED26715EED55.jpeg.c0e28eb25a4c963a5ff866204edc678c.jpeg

2D4C4812-937A-48EC-8132-613823634702.jpeg.1afbedea92fa7ed7b4ce4243056179e3.jpeg

got a week of cycling coming up, home to the station and new st to kings Norton so hopefully a good 15-16 mile a day

also may have have got myself a running partner too after I got talking to my wife’s friends husband who is into jogging and appears to have around the same pace as me, a bit quicker though so hopefully he may spur me on to speed up a bit 

• Like 1

also may have have got myself a running partner too after I got talking to my wife’s friends husband who is into jogging and appears to have around the same pace as me, a bit quicker though so hopefully he may spur me on to speed up a bit .....

Amazing how the presence of another person tips the balance between continuing as you were and a little extra boost which becomes available.  There is a term for it, {strangely} Audience Effect {I had to check that term, as it's well over 50 years since I learned about it in college}.....   :scratchhead: Performance, where any other persons are known to be viewing the "performance" of a person results in a reaction in the performer.  Mostly it results in improved performance, to feel that you are seen to do your best, natural and easy to understand...  so that's good to run with a friendly companion.  However, it can have an adverse effect, for example playing in front of a crowd, dominated by opposition supporters, who will delight in celebrating any faults or mistakes.  It really affects how you feel and can cause really poor performance.  

I once was one of a team in a volleyball competition, which had managed to reach the final against a far superior team, we were total losers - fact.  It was noticed that there was one of their players who was not so good as the others in the team.  Every time that player got contact with the ball, our supporters made comments about how the weakest link was about to give the point to the other side.  It worked, as the other side got distracted from their wins and devoted themselves to support the player.....   they lost, despite being far better players.  However, they did win the long term moral victory, as it felt totally dirty to be part of demolishing someone's confidence and no matter how many showers later, it doesn't feel any better to this day.

That aside, it's good that you have found a partner to share the running, there's so much benefit for both of you.  What's more, you can share the improved progress, knowing you have helped each other.  :locomotive:

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Weigh in day today, lost 2lb so 17.7 now

had a good week exercise so far all involving commuting to and from new st to kings Norton and crewe station to home which is 18 miles a day 5 days this week

broke the 900 mile mark with the bike this morning too

IMG_0417.JPG

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2