Humbrol Track Colour Paint

John Isherwood

• RMweb Premium

Having tried (unsuccessfully) to obtain Humbrol 173 Track Colour from local stockists, I would like to have some aerosol paint spray cans filled in a matching colour; (I have a large layout of track to paint).

Does anyone have a paint matching code / specification for Humbrol 173 Track Colour ?

Many thanks in anticipation.

John Isherwood.

30 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Does anyone have a paint matching code / specification for Humbrol 173 Track Colour ?

Hornby/Humbrols own gumf  (2018) gives a R.A.L. number of 8019 for H.173. The R.A.L. description is grey/brown.

Any decent paint mixer should be able to go off the R.A.L. number. For what it's worth I've always found colour charts notoriously unreliable and I've never seen track to be the same overall colour.

E.G.

https://flic.kr/p/HeV3GR

here's another,

14852361991_56b7383066_b.jpgUnited Colours Of Rust by Graham Newell, on Flickr

Edited by Porcy Mane

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Hornby/Humbrols own gumf  (2018) gives a R.A.L. number of 8019 for H.173. The R.A.L. description is grey/brown.

Any decent paint mixer should be able to go off the R.A.L. number. For what it's worth I've always found colour charts notoriously unreliable and I've never seen track to be the same overall colour.

E.G.

https://flic.kr/p/HeV3GR

Thanks for that - exactly what I needed to know.

The plan is to paint the cork trackbed, and the track once laid, with 173 / RAL 8019 as a base colour, prior to weathering. 173 / RAL 8019 will be a good 'soil' base colour for scenic areas, as well.

I'll get several large 'Halfords primer sized' aerosol cans filled, I think.

Regards,

CJI.