Which ONE depot and ONE works do you wish you had been round?

alcazar

Depot/Shed = Cambridge in 50's with loads of D16/3's about, followed by Bethnal Green (Spitalfields) just so I could have seen the whole Spitalfields/Bishopsgate area during Steam days. Top Shed would have been awesome as well.

Works = Obviously there can be only one......Stratford.

• RMweb Premium

Well

Works: Gorton. in the 1950's when they were building the EM1's & 2's

Shed: Reddish in the 1960's. Green EM1's & 2's again and also a certain Met Cam,1960's, Luxury, 6-car DMU was shedded there wink.gif . (Not allowed to mention it by name. May cause Froth) It would be great to be able to walk around the shed in that period armed with a Digital Camera................. Dream on.

Tuff one this,

Steam days,

Horwich works 1930s - 1950s

Its got to be Crewe North & South !930s - 1950s.

Diesel days,

Swindon 1970 - 1980, just for seeing the H/Ds & B.Ps.

Stratford 1970 -1980s.

Now lads lets get on with the time M/C.

• RMweb Premium

Tuff one this,

Steam days,

Horwich works 1930s - 1950s

Its got to be Crewe North & South !930s - 1950s.

Diesel days,

Swindon 1970 - 1980, just for seeing the H/Ds & B.Ps.

Stratford 1970 -1980s.

Now lads lets get on with the time M/C.

Ok all we need is a DeLorean and a Flux Capacitor and................................blink.gif biggrin.gif

Seeing as I managed Derby Loco in 1982, Stratford in 1983, Crewe in 1984 and Doncaster in 1985 I'm not that bothered about Works.

In that case I'll have two depots! Penzance old steam shed in 1976 and Aberdeen Ferryhill in 1981.

Works - Hunslet - I'm jealous as my sister did some temping for them in the office just a shame she couldn't get access for me espescially as when it was working I did get asked by the guards to move over the road with my camera!

See http://andrewjohnson.fotopic.net/p37232036.html and http://andrewjohnson.fotopic.net/p37232035.html - I have a choice of 2 works numbers for the loco (both confirmed from Don Townsley by email)

Shed - Ardsley in steam era as there were a lot of nice engines. But it closed before I was born!

Well Alcazar, what a really good topic... just how do you intend to summarise the contributions for the benefit of all?

My "wishlist"? Difficult so I shall request your indulgence and add a bit more.

Depot(s)...

Old Oak circa 1910 so that I could make a note of which engines were working over the GW & GC Jt New Line (any suggestions?)

Devons Road at any time as the whole world of the North London Railway is fascinating.

Work(s)...

Bow for the same reason as Devons Road.

Swindon circa 1905 so that I could ask George all of the questions which puzzle current GWR-historians.

Thank you, Graham

• RMweb Gold

Hmmmm possibly the Lambton Hetton & Joicey Collieries shed and works, all those interesting industrials like No.5 & 29 on the NYMR, not just Andrew Barclays and Austerities, and some ex 'main line' relics AND some very rare industrial tender locos!

Depot - Top shed. Kings Cross around 1960, Works - Horwich Loco, also around 1960.

Both with a 2010 digital camera and camcorder !!!!!!!!!!

Isn't it absolutley unbeleivable what we have lost over the years ?

Brit15

Archived