Β 

American O gauge 2 rail Diesel Locos

It seems to be very difficult sourcing these nowadays. Ideally I would like a smallish loco - GP35 or GP38-2- but there seems to be little available that isnt 3 rail or sound equipped . Ebay shows up little.

I would like a DC 2 rail loco so I can multimode (thanks Chris Ellis) on my existing UK shelf layout-10'x18".

Anyone know of any source? Would consider second hand

May be wrong era for your need, but Atlas shows a new run of GP7 locos due in the next several months (after having an order deadline of 7 years ago), or something maybe a bit longer in the RSD-7/15.Β  (RSD-7/15 is Trainman, so lower detail, but higher price due to later announcement date).

Β 

https://shop.atlasrr.com/t-ordership.aspx

Β 

Note that neither model has yet shipped from China (at least based on that list on the Atlas website).

• RMweb Premium

Suggest you join American O-scale in the UK Facebook group to access a community of likeminded modellers.

l found an Atlas SW1200 & imported from Switzerland. There will be events in UK this year, you will find something to get you started.Β 

• Agree 1

It's all as rare as rocking horse poop at the moment.

Apparently Atlas had issues a while back with it's Chinese factory and supplies dried up even to the USA. They have recently bought the MTH tooling but I've never seen an MTH loco for real and fear they may not be as good as Atlas ones were - even that is relative as they had parts on them that were designed to accommodate 3-rail components. I've read that MTH locos ride too high, for example.

You'd get a GP15 or GP35 from Atlas. Weaver did a GP38-2 of sorts years ago, it needs a lot of re-working to be anywhere close to accurate. MTH did a GP38-2 but I've no idea what it's like, and their catalogue numbering seems a bit of a minefield; some of their diesels were offered with swappable 2-rail wheels sets but were really still 3-rail locos with all the hideous compromises that entails.Β :bo_mini:

Also be wary of Atlas 2-rail locos that have "TMCC" - this is all the electronic gubbins that makes them work with 3-rail control systems. It can all be ripped out, as I did to an Atlas SW1200RS, but be aware it won't "go" out of the box on 12v DC.

Sophie at Anoraks Anonymous has just bought up a big 2-rail collection and will be listing it all soon.

Call or text 07526 768178. But depending on what she has, be prepared for a fight!!! :mosking:

• Informative/Useful 2